Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Mystery Stalls

20K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  Firefighter510 
#1 ·
The truck just shuts off while driving. No smoke no check engine light. Just the battery light comes on and the truck just surges untill it comes to a stop or you put it into N. Then starts right back up and runs with no problems. Has done this 3 or 4 times randomly kinda dont know where to turn. Anybody else had the same problem????

#5 ·
after it did it the first to times i replaced fuel filter, when it did it again i called edge and they replaced my system under warranty, got new system and installed it ran good for about 200 miles and the other day it did it again,

#7 ·
Funny that I get on to search this site for the exact same problem and I have the Edge as well. Mine coughed and sputtered under a load a couple weeks ago but never stalled. Tonight I was coasting onto an exit ramp after several miles on the highway and the exact battery light, sputter and surge until it stopped situation then it started right up and away we went. It was dark out so I couldn't be sure but I think I had some white smoke tonight when it quit. I don't know if that changes anyones opinion on the Edge? My Edge is also "new". It is a replacement since the one I had before would never last for more than a couple hundred miles before it would quit and not allow the truck to start. I guess if I look on the bright side, they have made an improvement, the truck restarts now.

#8 ·
It is the Edge. Give them a call. You can send it in and have it updated. I did that a few years ago when I had my LB7. It was free I just had to pay postage.

#9 ·
had same thing happen to me,it was the edge. they will pay for your postage if you ask them about it. had mine reflashed and back on about a month. all seems to be well.

#10 ·
Have an 03 that has been stalling since almost new about once every 10,000 or 15,000 miles. Now lately after almost 100,000 miles it stalls and refuses to start. Figured out how to get it running again, that is pump the primer on the filter housing, start the engine, then immediately get back out and run around the truck to the filter housing and keep pumping the primer button as the engine is running for say 30 seconds or so, then it continues to run and may not do it again for a month or so. Last time the filter mounting began leaking at the primer button, am going to rebuild that in the next few weeks. Hopefully that has been the problem all along.

#12 ·
happend to me too, well to the mechanic at the dealer. he told me when he started it and was backing up it died and he started it right back up. Hasnt happend since. i run the crappy bully dog stuff, not the edge

#16 ·
As for the tach going crazy, during the stalling situation would just sink to "0". My tach did go crazy on and off for some time, took it to the dealer and it was replaced under warranty.

As for the stalling, it has not happened during the winter, but now summer is coming and when it was warm that is when I had the trouble with the stalling, am convinced it is the primer pump and it now time I overhaul it. Every time it would stall the only way to get it running was as I described earlier. There seemed to be air in the system.

#17 ·
When I was having my problems, I called edge and told them. They sent me a new unit right away along with a return box and postage for my original unit. They told me the new unit had different timing in the tune. Since I replaced the edge, I have not had any trouble with the "mystery stalls". I believe edge knows about the problem because when I explained it to them they didn't have any questions, they just told me I needed a unit with updated timing.

Yes the tach did go crazy on mine when I was having the stalling problem.

Call edge and have them send you a new unit. I loved my edge that I had on my Dodge but I am not crazy about the unit on my Chevy. Inspite of this, I have to say that their customer service has been stellar on both vehicles.

#18 ·
My LB7 does this as well and had to attribute it to Edge ghosts. I called them once and they dissmissed me so I'm glad to see you guys getting warrenty. In the last week I drove from NS to AB which is about 3000 miles and it happend 5 times. If it threw a code a guy would be laughing then.

#19 ·
Stalling

I rebuilt my primer pump on the filter and the problem seemed to go away, even in the heat. EXCEPT that when it is parked for a period of time (many hours) with the truck parked on an incline, NOSE UP, it will start and then stall, must blead the system and will start right up then and keep running.

Now here is the kicker. If I park the truck nose down on incline, it does not stall when started. Now when I say "INCLINE", I mean as little as about 6" difference between the front and rear.

Anybody have any idea's

#20 ·
This happened to me on the way to work today. In the left lane, moderate traffic down I-20 and my dash lit up like a Christmas tree and the truck shut down. I managed to coast it over to the right shoulder, cycled the key and it fired right up. I did a walk-around and checked under the hood, I had no idea what happened...

I've got an '02 LB7 with the Edge Juice w/ Attitude... Had the truck for 9 months, Edge has been on it for 3 months, first time I've had this happen.

I'll check the wiring harness and the Edge box and make sure everything is secure and not loose, when I get home. If this becomes a common occurance I'll be ditching the Edge box ... the extra power is useless if its going to strand me randomly in the middle of the Interestate.

*edit*
So after I wrote the above post, I decided to give Edge a call. I spoke to a very helpful guy in their Tech department, and he said they are aware of an issue with "a weak signal from the crank sensor" in some LB7 trucks ("less than 5%") that cause this problem. I have module ver 10.3 and they are now on ver 12.5. Even though my module is out of warranty, they told me to send it back and they'll update everything to the newest version which they say will eliminate the problem.