08 Duramax - "reduced engine power" help! - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
911 Problems Forum Truck won't start or drive? Post here!

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2008, 10:32 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

08 Duramax - "reduced engine power" help!

1/2 way home last night the truck started dinging & the dash says "reduced engine power". Figured the truck was in limp mode, so I pulled over to clear the codes like I'd do in my 06 LBZ. With my Bully dog PMT I go into diagnostics to check codes, it says none present but the truck has a check engine light on. Is it a code maybe the bullydog can't get into? Truck has 8,000 miles & says i have 75% life left on the fuel filter but guess I can't go by that.

Going 18mph the rest of the drive sucked!

HELP! Thanks in advance

*SOLD*2004 GMC Sierra 2500 SLE. Regular Cab. Black / Gray, LLY Duramax, EFI LIVE, Kennedy 4 into 5" exhaust, 6k HID's. 20+ MPG tire smoking monster!

*SOLD* 2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT - Crew Cab Long Bed SRW. 8" Fabtec Lift, 24" wheels, 37x13.5x24" Toyo open countries, Dynoflow exhaust, Air raid CAI, Bullydog PMT.

*SOLD* 2006 GMC Sierra SLT. 4x4 Crew Shorty LBZ DMAX. Burgundy / Tan Leather

*SOLD* 2004 Chevy Silverado LT. 4x4 Crew Shorty LLY DMAZ. Charcole / Gray Leather
Jay Carnes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2008, 11:25 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporting Member

It's hard to say what the problem is without the code. Bully dog is bad about not reading some codes.

:rockin2010 Camaro SS LS3 426 HP:rockin
BigRedChevy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2008, 05:53 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

Rob......I've had that happen twice......the first time was on a short trip on a cold morning.....the truck was not plugged in.....Service advised to plug it in over night.....I did.....problem went away.........the second time was after I filled up with unleaded gas...(see my entry under 911)........recommend you change the fuel filter and keep it plugged in over night.......fuel filter is a bitch....check my notes on that.....don't forget to bleed after installing new filter.....that cost me an hour and some busted knuckles....good luck
Nomad05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2008, 06:33 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
Slave to the Interwebs

My lmm limped on me once when it was newer. I just pulled over and disconnected the battery. It seemed to clear the code. I was 60 miles from home and in a hurry so 18mph was not an option.

06 2500 CREW CAB 4X4 LBZ LOONNGGGGG BED
EXHAUST,EFI LIVE,S&B COLD AIR INTAKE
AUTOMETER GAUGES, TRANSGO JR, BLOCKED, TIE ROD SLEEVES...

WORK RIG
2014 3500 CREW,DUALLY, LML, HARBOR 9' UTILITY BED Bone Freakin Stock
This is not only your forum you have to share it with almost 100,000 others
Johnasara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2008, 06:47 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
VAGITARIAN :)

Question Fuel pressure does that/or plugged filter....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Carnes View Post
1/2 way home last night the truck started dinging & the dash says "reduced engine power". Figured the truck was in limp mode, so I pulled over to clear the codes like I'd do in my 06 LBZ. With my Bully dog PMT I go into diagnostics to check codes, it says none present but the truck has a check engine light on. Is it a code maybe the bullydog can't get into? Truck has 8,000 miles & says i have 75% life left on the fuel filter but guess I can't go by that.

Going 18mph the rest of the drive sucked!

HELP! Thanks in advance
Is your rail shimmed??With those mods,you may be running into problems with pressure issues at the rail??
I'd say you are running outta fuel pressure,then the code is set,and the Reduced engine power........
2006 GMC 4x4 CC/SB/sle1/LBZ**312,000 miles!!** PPE HOT+2 225 TUNE beeeyotch:-)AutoMeter egt/boost Suncoast 5 trans w/1056TC!,billet in/out shafts/MagHytec pan!!,M/A built T-Case,4 in.str8piped,5%tint all around......
2007 Chevrolet 4x4 cc\sb,lbz.......SOLD to blunova
Also, I speed and don't come to complete stops at stop signs.

''don't sweat the petty things,pet the sweaty things''
Click below/pictures of my junk!!
http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/vb...do=hall&u=8415
daddysLBZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2008, 09:17 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Fuel cooler

Something to think about-

The unused fuel is routed back to the fuel tank after it goes through a cooler. this is a small radiator and acts much like a A/C condenser-- I wonder if the cooler is cooling the fuel to much and that is causing it to gel more.

Blocking the cooler in the winter will not hurt anything.

No problems in So. Cal.
Chevy 04.5 LLY, 2X, shell, XDR, MikeL Heavy duty up-grade, 6spd, TransGo, deep pan, blocked, fingered, de-badged, PCV, 65 Gallon replacement Aero tank, PPE on 2, LBZ-mp, Kennedy pump, shimmed, Pre-fuel filter, tow mirrors, BU cam, gauges, GPS, Sirius, bags, custom grille, fender vents, HD trans cooler- Curt front hitch, footwell lights, load lights, Studs, head gaskets.--- Jerry
jc1843 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2008, 12:03 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
Administrator

i dont see the fuel cooler being a problem. i have seen -50F for a week at a time....no problems. your fuel filter heater could be not working. can you see the fuel temp with the bullydog? have you been able to get on the highway to get the truck warm enough to possible go into regen?
TST Powermax Programmer, Diablosport Predator
305/70-16 BFG T/A KOs on Eagle Alloys Series 187
Clifford remote start. High Idle, Bilstein 5100s, 1.5" lift blocks
CAT fuel filter w/ nicktane adapter
Magnum Force Stage 2 intake with AMSOIL filter
Racor 2 Micron pre-OEM with heater & water sep
Lightforce 140s from Madjackracing
http://WWW.ATPTRUCKS.COM/
ob_1jr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2008, 07:11 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

Thanks guys, here is my update:.

I've Pulled These Codes:
P2033 - Exhaust Gas Temp B1 S2
P244B - DPF code (looking it up in a min)
P1448 - scanner wouldn't tell me (look it up in a min)

I put a fuel filter in the truck this afternoon - all sorts of crap was in there. Looked like rusty little pieces of crap. On the water separator I actually had to use brake cleaner to get all the crud out of the crevices. I used the truck around town & it was perfect, let it idle for like 45 minutes. Perfect. Got on the highway was running beautiful, then almost to the exact spot it went into limp mode again. As a hunch because of how much crap I saw in the original filter (truck has 8,400 miles on it now), I put another one in it - in the ole' garage.

My question is. The bullydog has a thing I can't turn off that says it has the DPF come on 15-20 minutes into highway driving - and I have a HARD DPF code that was in the truck before I put the programmer in it.

Is the DPF coming on to regenerate & having a problem & putting the truck into limp mode or am I over thinking the problem.

It acted like fuel, i figured it was fuel but it did it again. Trying to avoid the dealer if I can do the stuff myself as the truck is anything but stock.

If I take my scanner & clear the codes while driving I can get the "reducing engine power" light out for only 30 seconds or so then right back on.

HELP! I have a 250 mile schedule tomorrow & i have doubts the old girl will make it.

*SOLD*2004 GMC Sierra 2500 SLE. Regular Cab. Black / Gray, LLY Duramax, EFI LIVE, Kennedy 4 into 5" exhaust, 6k HID's. 20+ MPG tire smoking monster!

*SOLD* 2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT - Crew Cab Long Bed SRW. 8" Fabtec Lift, 24" wheels, 37x13.5x24" Toyo open countries, Dynoflow exhaust, Air raid CAI, Bullydog PMT.

*SOLD* 2004 Chevy Silverado LT. 4x4 Crew Shorty LLY DMAZ. Charcole / Gray Leather
Old 12-29-2008, 07:36 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

EEEEK - Found a ton of info online that codes P2033 & P244B together means my DPF is clogged & needs to be replaced! Please tell me the dealership isn't going to give me a hard time about a cat back exhaust & a CAI? I'll un-program the truck

Last edited by Jay Carnes; 12-29-2008 at 07:38 PM.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:50 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

DTC Descriptor

DTC P1448

* Diesel Particulate Filter Regeneration Frequency Too Low

All my damn codes are DPF!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.