fuel filter air lock - Page 3 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
911 Problems Forum Truck won't start or drive? Post here!

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2009, 11:25 AM   eBay Motors  #21 (permalink)

No. It runs strong when running. When I shut down and try to restart the problem is most evident. It takes progressively longer cranks to get the truck to turn over. By this I mean that when I remove and refill / reinstall the filter, the truck starts immediately. Over the course of weeks the cranks get longer, and eventually it fails to start all together. I remove the filter and refill it, then the truck will finally kick over. And the cycle begins again. Its left me pretty puzzled. Maybe I should begin by asking what the priming proceedure really should be? Maybe if I did it correctly I could avoid having to remove the filter.
Thanks,
Jeff
Jeff Rayner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2009, 12:09 PM   eBay Motors  #22 (permalink)
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Similar to Bleeding Brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Rayner View Post
Maybe I should begin by asking what the priming proceedure really should be?
Close the bleeder screw. Pump the primer button until firm. THEN, open the bleeder slightly to remove the air, and then close it. Pump up the primer till firm. Open the bleeder again to release the air. Continue the cycle until only fuel sprays with no air when opened , then you are primed.

Some will try to prime with the bleeder left open, and they pump all day on it.
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"

Last edited by Hook'em_Horns!; 01-18-2009 at 12:14 PM.
Hook'em_Horns! is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2009, 12:51 PM   eBay Motors  #23 (permalink)

well guys after all your good advice i did it,somthing went boom dont now what yet eather goin to the shop or im goin to learn more abought whats under the hood, ill take all the snikers or advice i can get Thanks Dale
Old 01-18-2009, 01:16 PM   eBay Motors  #24 (permalink)
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale u View Post
well guys after all your good advice i did it, something went boom don't know what yet either going to the shop or I'm going to learn more about whats under the hood, ill take all the snickers or advice i can get Thanks Dale
Please...elaborate. What went boom? Literally or figuratively? No one on this site snickers, I don't think...

well, not openly!
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"

Hook'em_Horns! is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2009, 01:32 PM   eBay Motors  #25 (permalink)

after start up truck went red line for 10-15 sec. now when it turns over its real slow and has a real exsaust buield up like its not clearing out the valves. the boom was when my head exploed
Old 01-19-2009, 01:25 PM   eBay Motors  #26 (permalink)

Sounds like you got too much starting fluid in and it self ran itself until destruction.
2001 Chevy 2500 4x4 ECSB, 6 speed with Southbend Clutch, 4" MBRP straight pipe exhaust. EFI Live tuned thanks Brayden and Jarrod!!! Dyno numbers 6-6-09 Fass Diesel Nationals 441 RWHP/900+ RWTQ Yeah baby!
jon5212 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2009, 01:42 PM   eBay Motors  #27 (permalink)

Thanks, jon5212 this i know, what i dont know is what all was damaged & how much $ thinking used motor if its moor than push rods and valves.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:05 PM   eBay Motors  #28 (permalink)

I'm betting you will probably need a full rebuild... you can usually pickup a used engine on ebay for 3-5 grand.
2001 Chevy 2500 4x4 ECSB, 6 speed with Southbend Clutch, 4" MBRP straight pipe exhaust. EFI Live tuned thanks Brayden and Jarrod!!! Dyno numbers 6-6-09 Fass Diesel Nationals 441 RWHP/900+ RWTQ Yeah baby!
jon5212 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2009, 06:07 PM   eBay Motors  #29 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Rayner View Post
Hmm, Ok thanks. Only thing is that when I crack that and operate the primer pump fuel comes out. When I remove the filter there is still a head space of air in it. (There is no spillage occuring when I remove the filter.) Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Jeff

Get a new bleeder screw seems to be a common problem. Wish i would have came in here sooner i just done a 03 today that had the same problem. I had to take the diafram apart and work on it from there.

Team Salad 1 and only 2wd sled puller

13.20@115 mph

I am sorry that i can not make it to threads in times. If u are having a problem and need help pm me and i will get to u ASAP
duramaxin14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2009, 07:12 AM   eBay Motors  #30 (permalink)

You know, I'm confused as anything. I continue to get air into my fuel filter....about an inch and a half of airspace when I drop the filter subsequent to a failure to start. I'm priming the thing, but cannot get the air to remove. My proceedure is as follows: pump the pump till firm....crack the bleeder screw. Repeat several times. Mostly just fuel comes out. occasionally I think I'm seeing a bubble or two, but its almost exclusively fuel. It's nothing like it would be if I were bleeding brakes, for instance. And when I drop the filter its still full of air.
This morning I had to install a new fuel filter in the coffee shop parking lot after the truck failed to start. I replaced the filter just to eliminate it as a problem source. I took the new filter and filled it with fuel then installed it. I pumped the primer and eventually it started.
I appreciate any instruction, really.
Thanks!
Jeff
Jeff Rayner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.