04 duramax wont start after changing battery - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
911 Problems Forum Truck won't start or drive? Post here!

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2009, 08:20 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

04 duramax wont start after changing battery

batteries were weak so I pulled them out and picked up 2 new ones, NOW truck will NNOT start. I check fuse and what i found out is that if I pull the fuel pump 20 amp fuse and reinsert it, It will start if I turn the ignition withing 20 seconds or so, after a little time, I hear a relay kick out and it will not start.
I can re pull the fuse and reinsert ( only with the switch on) and I have a 20 sec or so window that it will start.
Is this related to the battery replacement or what?
any ideas of how to fix?
rackmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2009, 09:59 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

Bump..... Thats messed up. Are u sure u put positive to positive on both?
EXTRAS Mac cold air intake, pcv reroute, Diamond eye DP, AutoMeter PhantomII Tripple pillar, EGR Blocker, Leveling kit, 305/60/18MT BFG KM2 on Ultra 5 star wheels, Bilstein shocks,Spray in liner, Billet Grill, Chrome tube steps, LED tail and brake lights,all HID 6k up front
Smokinchvy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2009, 10:00 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

make sure the terminals are tight, just because you buy new batteries off the shelf doesnt mean they are good either
Old 05-19-2009, 11:03 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

bump Tighten the cables on real good my truck did this the other day kinda. it wanted to start but kept lossing connection tightened them up and worked like a charm.
2004.5 Cummins Red CC/DRW/4x4- Smarty-TNT, Quad Box, Commander, Volant, Flux 2's, 5'' TB w/9'' black tip, Billetinp/out/intermediate, Triple Disk Billet TC, VB, TC lockup swch, smoke swch, GDP Filters, fass 150 Pump, halo's Murdered out w/ vertical black grille, etc
1995 Powerstroke RC/LB/4x4 Desert Copper- ts-145hp, 10in subs, 6'' Bullhaulers,315 bfg mt's
H.O.T. Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2009, 03:15 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

If you removed both batteries at the same time (neither hooked up) you may have tripped the VATS, or Vehicle Anti Theft System.

What you can try is turning the ignition to "ON" and leaving it for 30 minutes without trying to start it. This is supposed to reset the VATS.

As well, check terminals as others have suggested.

Regards,
Keith
'04.5 GMC Sierra 2500HD LLY/Allison M74, Summit White, CC/SB SLE 4x4, Leather, Westin Nerf bars, DiabloSport Predator 2.02 (+65 hp), Backup Camera, Homebrew Biodiesel, Power Service, AC Delco stock filter w/TxC CAI, LuberFiner Fuel Filter, BTSI Security Lock, Stiff Throttle Spring, High Idle mod, EGR blocked, Resonator blocked, PCV rerouted, LBZ Mouthpiece, 2" cranked lift, 4" Banks turbo back w/muffler, Garmin C330 GPS, Tekonsha Voyager 9030 brake controller, PowerBright 400/800w inverter, All Headlights mod, OnStar, Spray liner, V-5 Talon, VentShades, James Window Tinting 20%, Engine Driven On-board Air, riding on Michelin LTX M/S 285/75 R16
rkeithdavis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2009, 05:26 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

I have plenty of power from the batteries, and it turns over very well.
I just dont have any fuel going to the engine becasue of some kind of switch.
I will try the VATS system suggested .
tks.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:32 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

I have tried the VAT procedure.
switch on for 10 min, then off then on for 10 then off then on for 10 for a total of 30 minutes. no luck
I have plenty of battery power.
again,
when I pull the PCM B fuse, while the switch is on, it resets something, then it will start. If I turn it off, it will immediately crank again. BUT if I let it set 15-20 seconds, I hear a relay click and it will not start again, until I pull the PCM B fuse again.

This all started yesterday after pulling both batteries and letting it set overnight before replacing them with new ones.

this fuse ( PCM B ) controls the ( power train module and fuel pump)

Somebody help, called dealership here this morning, they said they had no clue.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:07 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
Husker Diesel Pimp

well there is no fuel pump on a dmax. Just the cp3 that sucks fuel from the tank. So it's not for lack of fuel. Not sure whats going on though. Maybe one of the Gm techs will be on here and know whats up.

04 LB7: It's coming along, slowly
gr8shot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2009, 07:11 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rackmaster2 View Post
switch on for 10 min, then off then on for 10 then off then on for 10 for a total of 30 minutes. no luck
again,
when I pull the PCM B fuse, while the switch is on, it resets something, then it will start. If I turn it off, it will immediately crank again. BUT if I let it set 15-20 seconds, I hear a relay click and it will not start again, until I pull the PCM B fuse again.

This all started yesterday after pulling both batteries and letting it set overnight before replacing them with new ones.

this fuse ( PCM B ) controls the ( power train module and fuel pump)

That's not how you reset the VATS, at least, AFAIK. You switch the ignition to "ON" and leave it for THIRTY MINUTES without interruption.
'04.5 GMC Sierra 2500HD LLY/Allison M74, Summit White, CC/SB SLE 4x4, Leather, Westin Nerf bars, DiabloSport Predator 2.02 (+65 hp), Backup Camera, Homebrew Biodiesel, Power Service, AC Delco stock filter w/TxC CAI, LuberFiner Fuel Filter, BTSI Security Lock, Stiff Throttle Spring, High Idle mod, EGR blocked, Resonator blocked, PCV rerouted, LBZ Mouthpiece, 2" cranked lift, 4" Banks turbo back w/muffler, Garmin C330 GPS, Tekonsha Voyager 9030 brake controller, PowerBright 400/800w inverter, All Headlights mod, OnStar, Spray liner, V-5 Talon, VentShades, James Window Tinting 20%, Engine Driven On-board Air, riding on Michelin LTX M/S 285/75 R16

Last edited by rkeithdavis; 05-20-2009 at 07:15 AM.
rkeithdavis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2009, 09:12 AM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by rackmaster2 View Post
again,

this fuse ( PCM B ) controls the ( power train module and fuel
pump) according to book

Still needing help from a super tech!!!!!!!!!!
This fuse is controlling something or a module that is allowing it to crank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.