04 will not start after battery change - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
911 Problems Forum Truck won't start or drive? Post here!

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2009, 08:15 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

04 will not start after battery change

have an 04, 3500 that when we changed both batteries now it will not start.
1- Both batteries are good and are properly connected.
2- I can pull the pcm b ( power train module) fuse under the hood, and reinsert it only while the switch is on, and I have a 10 second or so window where the truck WILL Start. ( but it gets old raising the hood every time)
3- I have used different key, no luck
4- I do not have any aftermarket stuff on truck.
5- I have reset the vehicle anti theft , by leaving the switch on for 30 minutes straight, and also by doing it in 3 - 10 minute intervals , back to back. no luck.
6- When I pull this fuse and reinsert it, it reboots something that will let the truck start. again, I only have a 10 -15 second window where I can do this and the switch has to be in the on position when i pull the fuse and reinsert it.
7- if I pull this pcm fuse and reinsert it with the switch off, the engine turns over well, but will not start.

Any ideas?
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2009, 08:18 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Sounds like a ECM Reflash is in order. When you get it to start, will it stay running? If so drive it to a dealer and have them reflash the ECM...
bigdaddydiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2009, 08:23 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

yes it runs fine when started, i just took it to il pulling tractor for some farm work. cant tell there is a problem, ( until I turn it off)

by the way, what is " reflash the ECM"
Old 06-06-2009, 11:00 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

start checkin fues es
Green
Put 582 995
05greendmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2009, 12:39 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

It sounds like the anti-theft is preventing you from starting it. Reflash your ECM at the dealership which may correct the problem. You may have some codes stored in the ECM that is preventing you from starting it.

Just another white truck on the site

Stock engine and trans.
Ridin'GMC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2009, 12:58 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Any ideas?
Your VATS decoder may be defective. It works like a multimeter, reading the key's resistance and matching it to the preprogrammed value. When it acts up, that resistance increases due to voltage drop and subsequently doesn't match the preprogrammed value, hence your limited window of time in which to start the unit.

Sounds as if you've a visit to a dealer in your future..

Regards,
Keith
'04.5 GMC Sierra 2500HD LLY/Allison M74, Summit White, CC/SB SLE 4x4, Leather, Westin Nerf bars, DiabloSport Predator 2.02 (+65 hp), Backup Camera, Homebrew Biodiesel, Power Service, AC Delco stock filter w/TxC CAI, LuberFiner Fuel Filter, BTSI Security Lock, Stiff Throttle Spring, High Idle mod, EGR blocked, Resonator blocked, PCV rerouted, LBZ Mouthpiece, 2" cranked lift, 4" Banks turbo back w/muffler, Garmin C330 GPS, Tekonsha Voyager 9030 brake controller, PowerBright 400/800w inverter, All Headlights mod, OnStar, Spray liner, V-5 Talon, VentShades, James Window Tinting 20%, Engine Driven On-board Air, riding on Michelin LTX M/S 285/75 R16
rkeithdavis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2009, 02:10 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

thanks, I printed this and will leave at the dealer with the truck while i go out of town.
will let you know how it turns out.
brent
Old 06-23-2009, 07:00 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

HELP----Still need help, left at dealership while on vacation. they reflashed and it showed a B16 code for a veh anti theft box, they ordered one of those and installed, now it will not program, will not read the vin#. The dealership now thinks we need a PCM ( power train control module) now. They are expensive!!!!!!!!!!! ($1070)
Someone else must have had this problem before, or looked at one, all we did was change batteries, no aftermarket stuff on it.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:51 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rackmaster2 View Post
HELP----Still need help, left at dealership while on vacation. they reflashed and it showed a B16 code for a veh anti theft box, they ordered one of those and installed, now it will not program, will not read the vin#. The dealership now thinks we need a PCM ( power train control module) now. They are expensive!!!!!!!!!!! ($1070)
Someone else must have had this problem before, or looked at one, all we did was change batteries, no aftermarket stuff on it.
DO NOT LET THEM CHANGE THE PCM yet.
It sounds like the problem lies in the decoder in the ignition, not the VATS nor the PCM.

As stated before, the decoder acts like a multimeter to decode the resistance in the key used in the ignition. When it is defective, the wrong resistance is given the PCM, thus a tech MAY THINK the PCM is faulty, but the problem isn't very likely there. Think steering column.

There are fifteen different resistance values GM uses in their VATS keying. The PCM has your key value stored in it and replacing the PCM will only serve to remove that value until it reads that of your key, if it can. Me sees a problem transmitting that value you already have to the module, not in the module's interpretation of it. That sounds like it's in the ignition switch.

I do want you to check two fuses to eliminate these outright: in the UH BEC (underhood fuse panel), check fuse #'s 16 and 38, both are 10A. #16 is the leftmost 10A fuse in the second row left of the PARK LP relay. This one supplies power to the PASS-key module.
#38 is the 10A to the left of the IGN 1 relay, under the 15A. This one supplies power to the BCM.

If these fuses are good, the next place to troubleshoot would be the ignition switch itself. A good cleaning of both the keys and the PASS sensor with a Q-Tip and denat'd alcohol could help. DO NOT USE LUBRICANTS on these systems.

Hope you the best,
Keith
'04.5 GMC Sierra 2500HD LLY/Allison M74, Summit White, CC/SB SLE 4x4, Leather, Westin Nerf bars, DiabloSport Predator 2.02 (+65 hp), Backup Camera, Homebrew Biodiesel, Power Service, AC Delco stock filter w/TxC CAI, LuberFiner Fuel Filter, BTSI Security Lock, Stiff Throttle Spring, High Idle mod, EGR blocked, Resonator blocked, PCV rerouted, LBZ Mouthpiece, 2" cranked lift, 4" Banks turbo back w/muffler, Garmin C330 GPS, Tekonsha Voyager 9030 brake controller, PowerBright 400/800w inverter, All Headlights mod, OnStar, Spray liner, V-5 Talon, VentShades, James Window Tinting 20%, Engine Driven On-board Air, riding on Michelin LTX M/S 285/75 R16
rkeithdavis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2009, 09:54 AM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

keith,
All fuses are good, I checked with test light, every fuse under hood and dash prior to going to dealership.
If it helps to know this, I can start the engine with either sprayed into intake, but it will not continue to run. So whatever is causing problem, is controlling fuel supply. and it gets good fuel supply when I start it, by pulling the pcm b fuse and re inserting it, it then runs like a top.

so summary is : will start with either sprayed in intake, but will not continue to run.
BUT
, will start and run
if I pull Pcm b fuse, under hood with switch on and then reinsert fuse , then have a 20 second or so window to start, after that time, the fuse has to be pulled again and reinserted.

Last edited by rackmaster2; 06-23-2009 at 10:09 AM.
rackmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.