2005 GMC Duramax won't start. - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
911 Problems Forum Truck won't start or drive? Post here!

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2007, 04:23 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Angry 2005 GMC Duramax won't start.

I have a 2005 GMC Duramax diesel and have recently been having a no start problem. Last week I parked my truck in the evenining, the folowing morning it would not start. It turned over great but would not fire. I checked the electrical connections under the hood and tried again, still would not fire, primed the fuel filter and tried again, still wouldn't fire. Finally had the truck towed to the shop. They hadit for the day and said the found a bad connection in the plug connections under the hood. Took the truck home, ran fine, next morning started fine and ran well all day. Parked it Friday evening, went to start it monday morning and same thing, turns over well but won't fire. I unplugged the connection they had told me about and retried after every check I made, wouldn't fire. Had it towed to the shop. They said after it was unloaded they tried it and if fired right up. Ran fine that afternoon, parked it that night and started it the next morning, ran fine all day. Parked it at night, next morning it wouldn't start. Repair tech came to house late afternoon, tried it and it fired right up. Truck is currently still at the shop as they have not been able to determine the problem. Anybody else heard of such a problem?? The truck does have an Edge chip in it, we removed it from the system and tried to start it several times when it wouldn't go and it still wouldn't fire. The GM shop could not find any codes on their scanner any of the three times to help with diagnosis either. Any help or suggestions would really be appreciated.

Thanks
hemibadfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2007, 06:48 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

when my 04 lb7 did that sim. prob. i took it to the dealer they replaced a kimked fuel line on top of eng that goes to the pump but that did not solve the prob i simply started using the other ign. key truck has stsrted & ran fine since
tref is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2007, 08:58 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Have a look at the #2 and #7 injector harness, they are known for chafing and there is a TSB out for it. When is the last time you changed your fuel filter? Are you able to pressurize the system with the primer and not cracking the bleed screw? Those primer pumps have been known to go bad and cause problems.
TST Powermax Programmer, Diablosport Predator
305/70-16 BFG T/A KOs on Eagle Alloys Series 187
Clifford remote start. High Idle, Bilstein 5100s, 1.5" lift blocks
CAT fuel filter w/ nicktane adapter
Magnum Force Stage 2 intake with AMSOIL filter
Racor 2 Micron pre-OEM with heater & water sep
Lightforce 140s from Madjackracing
http://WWW.ATPTRUCKS.COM/
ob_1jr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2007, 04:26 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

I had the same story, just the way you described it-the dealer could not find a problem until I had them park it on an incline. Two hours later the truck would not start-no fuel pressure. They said the problem is the fuel filter housing. They said it would take 2 days for part to arrive. I will let you know it this fixes the no start problem. My truck is a 2006 Duramax.
unclebob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2007, 02:10 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

Ok, I'm no mechanic & I'm sure you guys have it covered but if you all remember on the 02's they had an injector problem. My 02 had the defective injectors & it would do exactly as you are describing. It drove me crazy. The quick fix that usually worked, not always, would be to loosen the screw on top of the filter & prime it until fuel came out. Might try that.
Electric Boss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2010, 09:52 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

I have an '03 duramax (with 135,000 miles) that's doing the exact same thing. It had all new injectors installed last year under warranty, and has the (long ago) updated fuel filter housing. Every once in a while for no apparent reason, it will just crank all day, and never fire. Sometimes it's right after I shut it off, and sometimes it's when it's cold. Doesn't seem to matter if it's level ground or on a slope. I get it towed to the dealer, and it usually fires right up. The only code it's ever thrown was something to do with the injector pump harness so they checked it out, cleaned it, and sent me home. Was fine for 3 or 4months. I put a new fuel filter on it two weeks ago, ran fine ever since, then I go out yesterday morning, and it won't start. I can bleed and prime all I want, and it makes no difference. Now I'm missing a day of work today b/c I'm stranded 4 hours out of the city. I'm pretty methodical about trying to diagnose stuff. So far what i haven't had checked is the injector harnesses as mentioned above, or the return pressure. That's next. I'm pretty suspicious that it's not mechanical fuel starvation (pinched line), or air, as those problems would cause it to run bad or not start, on a continual basis. Like I said, it's very random, always out of the blue, and then the truck might run/start fine for 3 or 4 months. Any other suggestions from guys who have had this problem? BTW, the truck is completely stock, doesn't smoke abnormally, runs great once it's going. Could this be a ground issue? I did have trouble with my 4x4 a few years ago, and it turned out to be a dirty ground that was causing that problem. @ Hemibadfish: Sorry to highjack your thread. I would have started a new one, but I figured we might both benefit from what other guys have to say. Hope you dont mind.
Canucktruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2011, 11:05 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

My father in law has a duramax that had about the same problem. When starting it would crank and crank without starting, finally it would start. Sometime it would start ok most of the time it would crank and crank. The dealer could not find anything wrong. He ended up replacing the entire fuel line from the tank forward. That fixed it . It now starts great. The dealer wanted about $400 for the FACTORY FUEL LINE REPLACEMENT he used a rubber line from NAPA for about $25. Must be from the salt on the roads?
jackpot2594 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2011, 11:58 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

I have the exact same problem when it does start runs great all the power you need at this point i can't get mine to start anymore at all.
rtravis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2011, 12:42 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Inspect the FICM wire harness at the passenger side of the alternator. The harness and wires get cut, and sometimes short to ground, by contact with the sharp corner of the FICM bracket.

The harness is tied down with a zip tie, cut the zip tie and look carefully at the under side. Insulate with a piece of heater hose.

This is a common problem for the LLY engine.

Everyone that has a LLY should check this now!
Chevy 04.5 LLY, 2X, shell, XDR, MikeL Heavy duty up-grade, 6spd, TransGo, deep pan, de-badged, 65 Gallon replacement Aero tank, LBZ-mp, Kennedy pump, shimmed, Pre-fuel filter, tow mirrors, BU cam, gauges, GPS, Sirius, bags, custom grille, fender vents, HD trans cooler- Curt front hitch, footwell lights, load lights, Studs, head gaskets.--- Jerry
jc1843 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2011, 05:16 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

JC1843!

I joined this forum specifically to thank you for your march 2011 forum post regarding FICM wire harness. I was having a goofy no start problem, searching the net, filtering through irrational ideas and then i came across your post. Went out to my truck...sure as Shite, once I located what you described, cut the zip tie, turned over the taped harness, I could see shining metal wires and visible arching onto the brace. fixed that, hit the prime button a few times....back in business. Dude, you just saved me an awful amount of time and money!!!!!
tomhavey228@gmail.xom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.