trailer brake problems - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
911 Problems Forum Truck won't start or drive? Post here!

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2009, 01:48 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

trailer brake problems

i have an 05 duramax and cannot seem to get my trailer brakes to work all lights are working... i have a digital reese control box and all that shows is a decimal point i have looked up what that means and it says something wrong with the blue wire i have followed that wire all the way across and cannot find anything wrong ... any suggestion???
bindurmin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2009, 02:12 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Is this a new install? Or did it work and now it doesn’t? If new, do you have the correct brake controller harness to plug in? I believe a single dot means no continuity on the circuit, as in it doesn’t see a trailer hooked up.
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"

Hook'em_Horns! is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2009, 02:15 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

IIRC mine did the same thing when I first installed my controller and it was the lack of a BRAKE control fuse under the hood, but then again ive been wrong before.
05' LLY CC/SB, PPE Standard, MBRP SS 4", BD Power Manifold, Autometer Phantom 2 Pyro and Boost, Kennedy fingered n plugged, cat grew legs, Belltech 1/3 drop, Michelin LTX M/S 265/75/16, Homemade 2-stage Water/Methanol w/ 220psi pump.
KILLERBEE Designed Intake piece- Everyone needs one of these!

Rock it till it sounds expensive!:rockin

Dont argue with a moron in public....Others may be confused on whos who.
BigGrnJeepTug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2009, 03:15 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

If it is a new install, you may also ahve simply forgotten to adjust it. I know if mine is not adjusted to apply the brakes then that is what it does.
bigdaddydiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2009, 03:32 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

its not a new install it was working really well......i just checked the under hood fuse and it is working fine... BUT now i have noticed that the left trailer turn/ stop fuse slot as no power...so friggin frusturating keep the input coming please
Old 06-10-2009, 03:52 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Fuse good and power to the unit. Next, move to the rear and look for loose terminal posts in the plugs.

Tester available? Lift the cover and Test the output at the trucks plug (reverse of below image from rear). No tester? Pull the head cover back on the trailer end (easiest one 1st) and check for secure terminals there. Then on to the truck's plug, there's a release tab to pull the plug from the plug mount.

I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"

Last edited by Hook'em_Horns!; 06-10-2009 at 03:56 PM.
Hook'em_Horns! is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2009, 04:13 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

Here is my post from my problem several months ago.

My 05 2500HD Crew was having turn signal problems also. My turn signals were all screwy. Sometimes they worked, sometimes they both worked at the same time, sometimes they wouldn't work. Hooking up to a trailer amplified the problem. I replaced the turn signal relay and all problems fixed. The new part number is 10383321. About $95 at the dealer. It is about $100-200 less than the multi function switch. Good luck.

The turn signal relay is....turn on your turn signals and listen for the clicking sound. That is your turn signal relay. Follow the sound.

The turn signal relay in the 05 has a tendancy to fail after a while. Mine worked fine for the first 6 months I owned it and then all of a sudden it started malfunctioning. It is worth looking at.
Raider Topper
Tailgate lock
Escalade electric, folding, heated mirrors

Last edited by stukar; 06-10-2009 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Added info
stukar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2009, 04:42 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

k so i checked the plug and there is no power so i went back to the front and pulled the fuse on 'stud2' which is the trailer brake fuse, where there is no power to the inside post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.