Duramax w/Edge engine shutting off while driving - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
911 Problems Forum Truck won't start or drive? Post here!

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2007, 05:16 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Duramax w/Edge engine shutting off while driving

My 02 has been just shutting down randomly with my edge w/attitude. I'm currently working with edge sending units back and forth. They say the Duramax has a weak crank position signal and thats what they use for the advancing of injector timing, for power. Has anyone else had this problem on here, Edge is awhere of the problem, so I'm not the only one. I was thinking of replacing the sensor, will this resolve it? Does Banks have this problem? please email me any replys at showmefishing@juno.com

thanks, Bob
bmurray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2007, 07:45 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Edge has had this problem for a long time. I was reading on another forum and someone called and talked to edge and they said that their electronics in the boxes weren't automotive grade. Either way, there is a problem there and all it takes is someone to file a lawsuit because their truck shut off and they got into an accident. I think it has something to do with the heat under the hood cooking the electronics in the box. Replacing the sensor probably won't fix your problem. If you had a different programmer then you could test their theory.
TST Powermax Programmer, Diablosport Predator
305/70-16 BFG T/A KOs on Eagle Alloys Series 187
Clifford remote start. High Idle, Bilstein 5100s, 1.5" lift blocks
CAT fuel filter w/ nicktane adapter
Magnum Force Stage 2 intake with AMSOIL filter
Racor 2 Micron pre-OEM with heater & water sep
Lightforce 140s from Madjackracing
http://WWW.ATPTRUCKS.COM/
ob_1jr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2007, 11:42 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

shut down problem

i have a 01 2500 crew cab Duramax 6.6 that has been doing this since it was new they cannot find the problem it does it without any progamer I have tried bully dog and superchip and neither work

pdriver
pdriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2008, 01:47 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

I had the same problem. One day the truck shut down would not start. I opened the hood and wiggled the wireing harness with the Edge connecters. The truck started when I got home I tie straped the connector locks down and has work fine ever since.
Silverline Exhaust
4 inch turboback
AFE air filter modded air box
Turbo Mouth piece mod
Extreme lb7 Dmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2008, 03:28 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme lb7 Dmax View Post
I had the same problem. One day the truck shut down would not start. I opened the hood and wiggled the wireing harness with the Edge connecters. The truck started when I got home I tie straped the connector locks down and has work fine ever since.
Darn glad to hear that other people are having the same probs with their edge chips... (well... kinda...)

Mine shuts down periodically and the last time it shut down, unfortunately, I had to have my brother (in his '97 Powerstroke) come pull me home... I'll never live that one down! Anyway, after much pondering I thought, "I wonder if I just unplug the power chip if it will start again...?" I did just that and walla!!... Fired right up and I'm off to driving again.

I'm glad you posted here that using tie downs has helped you out a little. I'm going to try doing that myself and see if I get any resolution to the problem. I don't think it's the heat problem (as was mentioned here) because when it did this to me the last time it was -6 F here in Idaho Falls and my engine temp was only 137 F. Anyway...

I don't want to change power chips because I keep hearing from everyone that the Edge w/ Attitude is the best chip for the D-Max's so I'll continue dying if I have to I guess...

Thanks for the post!

BTW... When I had my last probs with the Edge Chip the Check Engine Light came on for a while and eventually corrected itself and shut off...

Last edited by MileHighD-Max; 01-19-2008 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Adding...
MileHighD-Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2008, 03:39 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffman View Post
Darn glad to hear that other people are having the same probs with their edge chips... (well... kinda...)

Mine shuts down periodically and the last time it shut down, unfortunately, I had to have my brother (in his '97 Powerstroke) come pull me home... I'll never live that one down! Anyway, after much pondering I thought, "I wonder if I just unplug the power chip if it will start again...?" I did just that and walla!!... Fired right up and I'm off to driving again.

I'm glad you posted here that using tie downs has helped you out a little. I'm going to try doing that myself and see if I get any resolution to the problem. I don't think it's the heat problem (as was mentioned here) because when it did this to me the last time it was -6 F here in Idaho Falls and my engine temp was only 137 F. Anyway...

I don't want to change power chips because I keep hearing from everyone that the Edge w/ Attitude is the best chip for the D-Max's so I'll continue dying if I have to I guess...

Thanks for the post!

Edge does have good stuff, and they did have an issue with the LB7 modules a few years back. They redesigned the module and we have successfully installed many more without the issues.

Does your Edge Module have the wiring harness integrated? I mean are all the wires going into the module and they are not part of a harness that clips into the module when installing....

The late model (updated) units are plug into wiring harnesses. There was a period of time where Edge would just replace them no questions asked, the issue was heat related and had something to do with the insulation inside the module.

Non the less, every truck we did update was successful and the shutting down issue was solved. Don't give up hope, just try to get the updated module.

W
JacktheBear3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2008, 06:36 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Are these all LB7's that are having this problem shutting off? Mine is an 06 LBZ and I'm thinking of the Juice w attitude. After reading this it sounds a little like I might ought to rethink this????
lubeman1969 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2008, 06:47 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?

alot of problems some times come from the pins in the engine harness or edge harness backing out or bending while pluging and unpluging the edge. besure to check the pins and make sure they all look ok!!!
Old 01-19-2008, 07:27 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubeman1969 View Post
Are these all LB7's that are having this problem shutting off? Mine is an 06 LBZ and I'm thinking of the Juice w attitude. After reading this it sounds a little like I might ought to rethink this????
As mentioned in the post above this, pins and connections are always issues regardless of brand.

The "ISSUE" which has been confirmed with EDGE was ONLY LB7 MODULES.

Don't Re-Think, it has been corrected....
JacktheBear3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2008, 11:39 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacktheBear3 View Post
Edge does have good stuff, and they did have an issue with the LB7 modules a few years back. They redesigned the module and we have successfully installed many more without the issues.

Does your Edge Module have the wiring harness integrated? I mean are all the wires going into the module and they are not part of a harness that clips into the module when installing....

The late model (updated) units are plug into wiring harnesses. There was a period of time where Edge would just replace them no questions asked, the issue was heat related and had something to do with the insulation inside the module.

Non the less, every truck we did update was successful and the shutting down issue was solved. Don't give up hope, just try to get the updated module.

W
All wires go into a wire harness clip... this clip then clips directly into the actual Edge module. When my truck died I simply unpluged this harness and let it sit for a while and then pluged it back in and everything was back to normal. The whole situation is strange to me because it flashes across my information panel "Battery not charging" everytime this problem arrises.

My truck is an '04 but it has the early LBZ motor in it (yes, I'm positive... I checked the vin).

So, do you install these things? If so, how do I go about returning it? Call Edge?

Thanks for the post!
MileHighD-Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.