Fuel in Exhaust, Much White smoke - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
911 Problems Forum Truck won't start or drive? Post here!

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2009, 04:30 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Fuel in Exhaust, Much White smoke

After changing the fuel injectors due to smoke and dealer said that there were three bad injectors the engine won't stare without starter fluid. The fuel system ha been bleed of air at the front bleeder. When the engine does start it runs with much white smoke, and won't idle. When shut down I discovered lots of fuel coming out of the exhaust and under the truck along exhaust pipe. There was also diesel in the oil pan. The only code is P0107 Manifold absolute pressure/barometric pressure circuit low. Can anyone please help.
EMakowski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2009, 04:34 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
Banned

first of all you shouldnt be starting a glow plug assited truck with starter fluid.....
Hondarider552 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2009, 02:17 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

It's the only way it would start, and I learned it from a diesel mechanic
Old 10-10-2009, 07:26 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

Did you cut any of the injector o-rings when you insalled them? And why did the dealer say that the injectors were bad? Low fuel numbers during a balance test or what? One thing you could do although it is a pain, is pull the exhaust manifolds, and inspect to see where the fuel is coming from. The exhaust port will be wet with fuel, then you go from there either re-checking your injectors/overhead or pulling the head to see what the problem is.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:17 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the input. I have to tell more of the story. This is my sons truck. He was in Florida when he started to look into a smoking problem. After research on the internet he found that GM was replacing injectors free of charge on vehicles up to 7 yrs. since his was an 02 he made an appointment with a local dealer to have them replaced. They told him that since the vehicle was purchased in the fall of 01 and this was now the spring of 09 that GM won't cover it. He didn't have the $4500 to fix it. On the way home to Ohio he stopped in Atlanta to visit friends. I got a call and had to drive to Atlanta from Akron Ohio with a tow bar and toe him back. He finally got together the money to purchase an install new fuel injectors. He put them in. I don't know how he dealer determined the problem. The reason I had to tow the vehicle is because of fuel in the crank case. Since then he has taken my truck on a job in Mississippi so I am now involved in the correction of his. Since the truck won't start without starter fluid, burns with much white smoke when running, puts diesel fuel into crank case, and won't idle, I'm starting to think that there is a timing problem. DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW THE POSITION OF THE CAM IS SENSED AND TIMING ADJUSTED SO THE INJECTORS CAN BE FIRED AT THE CORRECT TIME.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:27 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

Yeah turn the distributor until it starts........
Old 10-13-2009, 06:32 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

There's a plate on the cam gear (Behind the front timing cover) that the cam position sensor pulses off of to get the cam position. These are bolted to the cam gear and will not just come out of timing. Everything that controls the Duramax is electronically controlled (I.E Main Injection Timing has 3 tables build into the trucks programming that is referenced off of fuel flow, RPM and Barometric Pressure.) Its not something that will just come out of adjustment all of a sudden. I have a VERY good dealer that builds duramax's for competition use that can probably diagnose this for you. If you are in the Ohio area still, He is in Urbana. Unfortunately something like this will require the GM TechII Scan tool to see the live computer data to determine why its not starting.

My initial thought on all this would be that since its "Makng Oil" and having a VERY hard time starting, there is a high pressure fuel leak and is bleeding off rail pressure into the valve cover. This has come up a few times in the past month and is probably worth looking into. A lot of times i see older LB7 Duramax's like yours build up some junk on the seat that seals the high pressure fuel line to the injector. When injectors get replaced, this seat is completely overlooked and not cleaned before it is reinstalled. If this is the case, the fuel being pressurized by the pump will bleed out into the valve cover (which is where the injectors are located) and will let the fuel mix with the engine oil. This will also cause a no start scenerio being that the duramax's need a MINIMUM of 3600PSI to even start. If there is a leak like this, the pressure will not be there to allow it to start.

New motor in the works as we speak with lots of goodies!!!
BryanVilaubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2009, 07:26 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

I'm thinking on the bad side that he did some engine damage using starting fluid, possibly blew a hole in a piston?
2001 Chevy 2500 4x4 ECSB, 6 speed with Southbend Clutch, 4" MBRP straight pipe exhaust. EFI Live tuned thanks Brayden and Jarrod!!! Dyno numbers 6-6-09 Fass Diesel Nationals 441 RWHP/900+ RWTQ Yeah baby!
jon5212 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2009, 07:28 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

It would take quite a bit of ether to blow a hole in it but a compression test will tell him the answer to that

New motor in the works as we speak with lots of goodies!!!
BryanVilaubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2009, 05:02 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

Thanks Brian@atsdiesel, You make the most sense on this problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.