No juice to starter - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
911 Problems Forum Truck won't start or drive? Post here!

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2008, 11:11 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

No juice to starter

My husband has a 2003 Chevy Duramax Deisel. When he turns the key, nothing happens. No juice to little wire but if he uses a screwdriver accross the 2 terminals on the solenoid, it starts. I have not been able to find repair manual so we can figure out how to fix it (we have a friend that will do it for us for free once we find the problem).! I am new to this site and as I am female, I know now what a male must feel like when his wife sends him to the store for "female products". Because of the problem of the truck not starting with the key, we have not been able to dive the truck in about 2 weeks. With over 8 inches of snow here, my Camero is not the best car to be the only working one. Hope I did not post this in wrong forum. Does anyone know where we can get a repair manuel?

Last edited by Kari Anderson; 02-08-2008 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Not sure if I am in correct forum
Kari Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2008, 12:13 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
Administrator

sounds like a bad starter. You can go to alldatadiy.com and buy a subscription for less than $15. How old are the batteries? One battery can be bad and draw down the whole system. BTW, welcome to the forum!
TST Powermax Programmer, Diablosport Predator
305/70-16 BFG T/A KOs on Eagle Alloys Series 187
Clifford remote start. High Idle, Bilstein 5100s, 1.5" lift blocks
CAT fuel filter w/ nicktane adapter
Magnum Force Stage 2 intake with AMSOIL filter
Racor 2 Micron pre-OEM with heater & water sep
Lightforce 140s from Madjackracing
http://WWW.ATPTRUCKS.COM/
ob_1jr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2008, 04:45 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

Check the Neutral Safety Switch on the drivers side of the tranny. It has a plastic white cover on it with two plugs that the shift cable feeds to. It can be just a hair off and cause the problem you are having. Just loosen the two bolds that hold it on and rotate it a LITTLE bit at a time then give it a shot. Sometimes it will fix the problem!! Welcome to the site.

New motor in the works as we speak with lots of goodies!!!
BryanVilaubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2008, 06:14 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

how about a bad ignition switch, if the starter was bad it wouldn't be able of being jumped with a screwdriver, but at the same time theres so many relays and safety switches on these trucks now it could be a needle in a hay stack or something in plain site and easy.

Sold 06 LBZ 3500 4x4 single rear wheel regular cab long bed WT, 4" turbo back straight pipe, solid gooseneck, drw wrecker prep springs, blocked, fingured, 2"plugged, and plenty of UWS boxes
John-Boy 331 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2008, 04:36 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

Take out the starter relay under the hood and pop the cover on it open. Stick it back in the fuse box and manually trip the relay. If the starter cranks, then its somewhere between the ignition switch and the relay

New motor in the works as we speak with lots of goodies!!!
BryanVilaubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.