Im all Gelled up!!! - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
911 Problems Forum Truck won't start or drive? Post here!

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2009, 11:39 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Im all Gelled up!!!

Ok i had a 1/2 tank of fuel before i was about to make a 2 hour drive so i thought i would fill up to be safe. Im in kansas and it was 10 degrees here tonight. I had no problem all day and then i filled up with fuel and it was straight gel already. I took off not knowing it and about a mile down the road truck died, i knew what it was so i put a bottle of 911 in and went to the fuel filter and took off my bleeder valve and pumped until i got some liquid to come out. I did, i let it sit for awhile and then after trying to start it, it finally started. Went another mile and the same thing, i then changed the fuel filter and have yet to get it started, I ended up having to have it towed back to my house and was on the side of the road for 3 hours. Please help me, What do i need to do now? Any replies are greatly appreciated. I found out that the place where i got fuel is notorious for not having #2 and people have problems all the time. Thanks so much!!!
01 Mustang- Sold

94 Seadoo SPX - my water toy
81 Honda Express- my land toy
01 Raptor 660r
Jammin818 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2009, 11:41 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

take the filter off anf fill it with 911 and dump more 911 in the tank
BANKS ram air intake, MBRP 4" exhaust, CAT DELETE and NO MUFFLER, EGR Deleted, Fisher SS ExtremeV plow, Auto Meter Gauges, Boost, Pyro, Fuel Pressure, turbo resenator blocked off, PCV Reroute. SoCal Stage 1 heads, ARP Studs, BD Manifold, diamond eye down pipe, AFE mouth piece, AFE intercooler pipes, KMC Rokstars 20" wheels with Nitto Terra Grappler AT
EFI LIVE TUNED BY NICK
Big thanks to chad at Alligator performancewww.alligatorperformance.com
DuramaxSMOKE11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2009, 11:45 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

Thank u so much!!! I will try it in the morning!!! do i need to put a space heater under the truck or anything for the lines?
01 Mustang- Sold

01 Raptor 660r
Old 01-01-2010, 12:56 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Anyone who lives in climates where this is a possibility may want to consider keeping a bottle of Diesel Recovery in their truck at all times. This will thaw gelled fuel and in most cases eliminate the need for changing the fuel filter as a result of gelling. But you ONLY put it in after gelling, not all the time, so get one bottle, and keep it in the truck in case of emergencies.

God Bless

Chris
bigdaddydiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2010, 01:31 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

a space heater would help heat the lines but not nessesary
BANKS ram air intake, MBRP 4" exhaust, CAT DELETE and NO MUFFLER, EGR Deleted, Fisher SS ExtremeV plow, Auto Meter Gauges, Boost, Pyro, Fuel Pressure, turbo resenator blocked off, PCV Reroute. SoCal Stage 1 heads, ARP Studs, BD Manifold, diamond eye down pipe, AFE mouth piece, AFE intercooler pipes, KMC Rokstars 20" wheels with Nitto Terra Grappler AT
EFI LIVE TUNED BY NICK
Big thanks to chad at Alligator performancewww.alligatorperformance.com
DuramaxSMOKE11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2010, 05:26 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

At least you learned to stay away from that service station.Everyone needs some kind of fuel additive with ULSD the stuff sucks,and unless your in the tropics you might as well get it with anti-gell.I told about something like that happening to me and a couple of guys on here told me a truck cant do that once your driving so I dont want to say Im happy to hear that but I hope YOUR listening ben,it will happen.
jmac5058 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2010, 05:38 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

I run Power service Diesel Kleen. The white bottle is for winter anti gel. It has lube in it to help your injectors survive with ULSD and it will improve the cetane rating. Amsoil is excellent also but tougher to find out on the road. Additives will help a lot but it tough to fix junk fuel.

S&B Intake
Custom 4" Stainless exhaust split dual
Edge Juice w/Attitude
PPE Boost Valve
Turbo Air Horn Mod
Cognito Braces/PPE Sleeves
35% Tint
Gangkopff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2010, 08:27 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporting Member

i'm suprised that #2 would gell up at 10 above. i live in minnesota, and i never run #1. 911 is good stuff, but i wouldn't mess around with trying to save the fuel filter, i'd change the fuel filter and add some 911 in the tank and try running the truck. it seems like once a filter is gelled up, they never seem to recover. were did you buy your diesel fuel that it would be gelled at 10 above? i'd start buying my fuel from a truck stop or a busy gas station, that is always getting fresh fuel instead of it sitting in the tank in the ground. maybe you want to start running some power service when you fill your truck up
2004 Silverado 2500HD cc/sb, ppe boost increase valve, afe stage two, edge j/a, better built tool box, access roll cover, kool-vue towing mirrors, recon led cab lights, torsion bars turned up, amsoil, LT285 75 R 16 tires, front windows tinted to match rear windows.

truck #2 1996 chevy k1500 4x4, it's my work truck ( she says i can't buy anymore trucks )

2000 Harley Sportster 1200C. Sampson exhaust, Yost power tube carb kit, Memphis Shades windshield, Harley Saddlebags, Harley forward controls.
chevy_trux69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2010, 09:27 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

Thanks guys so much. I went out this morning and put 50/50 mix of diesel 911 and diesel in the new fuel filter and then treated the tank with 911 and the anti gel, went to try starting it and its dead. A buddy is coming over now to help me jump it, now does it matter how i jump this thing since there are 2 batteries?
01 Mustang- Sold

01 Raptor 660r
Old 01-01-2010, 09:46 AM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

no it shouldnt

06 LBZ CC SB 4x4 Graystone Metallic
EFI Live DSP5 by Rob
3in D/E Downpipe to 4in MBRP Turbo Back Straight Pipe
Leveled
B&W Turnover
LineX Bedliner
jfreid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.