Fuel in oil, Injectors or cp3? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
911 Problems Forum Truck won't start or drive? Post here!

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2010, 09:00 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Fuel in oil, Injectors or cp3?

Well, did the major build, new Dragonfly +50hp injectors, Banks billet torque coverter, full Transgo shift kit, and Airdog II DF-165. All was great, idle a bit rougher than before, but lots of power. After a couple days noticed high reading on dipstick, drained, had 4 quarts extra. Hooked up a guage onto Airdog, was at 10.5lbs, dialed it down to 5.5lbs, put in new oil, went for a few hour burn, drained oil, 2 quarts extra. Does anyone know if fuel can be pushed past the seal in the cp3 pump? If so, at what pressure? And if the seal goes back into place after the extra pressure is gone? I expect that a bad injector is the problem, just would like to rule out the fuel pressure to the cp3 before I send them to get tested. Thanks for your replies on this brain scratcher, Wade.
Add ons, BD Fullbore exhaust manifold, K&N coldair intake, MBRP 4" 304 stainless Cool Duals, The Juice with Attitude, New Dragonfly +50hp Injectors, Airdog II 165gph Demand flow, PPE Boost Valve, Banks Billet Torque Converter, Transgo Full Shift Kit, Autran Syn 295.
Maxed Ambition is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2010, 09:10 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Not sure on the other but the reason your truck is not idling smoothly is because of your tuning. Larger injectors require custom tuning with EFI live to get the full benefit. Any particular reason you installed a banks TC? I don't know of anyone here running one. Banks anything = junk. EXCEPT the intake! I wish you well and hope you figure out your problem. But check into efi live from one of our vendors!
Suncoast Gmax w/ 1056 :rockin

"Husker Diesel - 402-502-6961"
JShe8918 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2010, 09:17 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
SDP

Chances are you have a leak on a return line or possibly feed line, hopefully you don't have a bad injector. You'll need to scan it and check balance rates, rail pressure and return rates. If you can get it to a dealer they should be able to give you this info and tell you what is out of spec, from there you can narrow it down a bit.
S400/GT42 Turbo kits, EXERGY, Garrett, FASS, ATP, PPE, Goerend, Bullseye, SoCal Diesel
SDPtwins.com LIKE US ON FACEBOOK!

2009 LMM SDP trans, SDP GT5541/GTX42 twins, Socal motor, ATP tuned
2002 LB7 SDP twins, ATP tuned, stock motor 11.97@113mph 7,200lbs
2001 LB7 SDP Built transmission, Single SDP S475 with diverter valve
2006 LBZ for custom twin kit mock up only
2005 LLY shop truck
Scott@SDP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2010, 09:18 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

Tuning should have little to no effect at idle, and so far the torque converter rocks, I even get better mileage in the city now, than I got on the highway before. In the future, PPE looks the best to me. Thanks though.
Add ons, BD Fullbore exhaust manifold, K&N coldair intake, MBRP 4" 304 stainless Cool Duals, The Juice with Attitude, New Dragonfly +50hp Injectors, Airdog II 165gph Demand flow, PPE Boost Valve, Banks Billet Torque Converter, Transgo Full Shift Kit, Autran Syn 295.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:25 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmax15 View Post
Chances are you have a leak on a return line or possibly feed line, hopefully you don't have a bad injector. You'll need to scan it and check balance rates, rail pressure and return rates. If you can get it to a dealer they should be able to give you this info and tell you what is out of spec, from there you can narrow it down a bit.
Too late, tore it down to see if anything obvious on the return side. Dealer said they couldn't tell for certain what it was by return rates, only that there was a problem. All new washers and seals went back in, all torques to spec.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:47 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxed Ambition View Post
Tuning should have little to no effect at idle, and so far the torque converter rocks, I even get better mileage in the city now, than I got on the highway before. In the future, PPE looks the best to me. Thanks though.
If you say so..... Just think about it. Search the forums about it and contact a few vendors and see what their recommendations are.
Suncoast Gmax w/ 1056 :rockin

"Husker Diesel - 402-502-6961"
JShe8918 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2010, 10:03 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JShe8918 View Post
If you say so..... Just think about it. Search the forums about it and contact a few vendors and see what their recommendations are.
I'm not saying I don't like EFI, really I know nothing about it. Just thought a set tune was safer than one you download. Educate me! Anyway, the Banks torque converter had better specs, 1800ft/lbs, and looked to be better quality than the BD one I was looking at. After talking to Banks, they beat BD's sale price. I am impressed with the changes it has made so far. Since I have this fuel in oil problem, I had only tried the Juice on #4, and even that was sick fast!

Last edited by Maxed Ambition; 02-01-2010 at 10:31 PM. Reason: more complete answer
Old 02-02-2010, 09:14 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

Just wondering if you figured out what the problem was. Kinda have the same situation right now.
Motox536 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2010, 09:49 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
SDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxed Ambition View Post
I'm not saying I don't like EFI, really I know nothing about it. Just thought a set tune was safer than one you download. Educate me! Anyway, the Banks torque converter had better specs, 1800ft/lbs, and looked to be better quality than the BD one I was looking at. After talking to Banks, they beat BD's sale price. I am impressed with the changes it has made so far. Since I have this fuel in oil problem, I had only tried the Juice on #4, and even that was sick fast!
Give IdahoRob a call and he'll help you with the tuning part. I used to have the same tuning you are running and have used PPE for a while as well, neither compare to EFI live with Rob doing the tuning. The canned tunes don't factor in your slightly larger injectors either.

Hopefully the new fuel line gaskets solves the issue, I haven't heard of a CP3 leaking oil into the crankcase.
S400/GT42 Turbo kits, EXERGY, Garrett, FASS, ATP, PPE, Goerend, Bullseye, SoCal Diesel
SDPtwins.com LIKE US ON FACEBOOK!

2009 LMM SDP trans, SDP GT5541/GTX42 twins, Socal motor, ATP tuned
2002 LB7 SDP twins, ATP tuned, stock motor 11.97@113mph 7,200lbs
2001 LB7 SDP Built transmission, Single SDP S475 with diverter valve
2006 LBZ for custom twin kit mock up only
2005 LLY shop truck
Scott@SDP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2010, 10:38 AM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
DF Sponsors

Do you still have the problem after the new return line seals?

DuraTitus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.