2006 LLY DMAX smoking/ knocking - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
911 Problems Forum Truck won't start or drive? Post here!

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2010, 07:33 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

2006 LLY DMAX smoking/ knocking

I have a 2006 LLY DMAX, 116K miles, Banks 5" exhaust, Banks air intake. I have no 'chip' and no other programmer or engine mods. I do all my own services on a regular basis- oil/filter, fuel filter, trans fluid/filters, air cleaner and tire rotations. I am a pretty conservative driver and have never seen the need to hammer it just to get to the next red light sooner. So I'm getting on the freeway last night (engine was warmed up, just drove truck 40 miles) and I see white or grey smoke puffing out of the exhaust. I back out of the throttle and it goes away. I ease the throttle back in and it puffs smoke again. I'm in a bad spot to pull over so I just back out if it and kind of coast around a curve. The truck stopped smoking so I drove it another 5 miles to our shop and parked it for a few hours. Driving about 10 miles home I tried to replicate the smoking situation. If I get on the throttle a little and then back out of it the truck surges a little, puffs smoke and now there is a knocking sound from the left (driver) side under the hood. But then it clears up. The engine does idle rougher then before as well. So I drove it to work today (40 miles) and and every once in a while I could hear the knocking sound followed by a puff of smoke. Then it clears up and the truck seems to run fine.

Any one had this problem or have any ideas what it may be? Bad injector? Computer?

Thanks,

Jeff
L.R.S. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2010, 08:26 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

I would say you have a bad injector
sidekick94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2010, 08:53 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
Quicker Then Brian!

x2 sounds like a faulty injector

Thanks to,
Big Dipper, Efilive, Calvert, Precession Converters, Nick@Duramaxtuner, Eaton, Pureflow, and Falken
RedBowTies88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2010, 08:53 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
Husker Diesel Pimp

Thats a tough one. First thing that comes to my mind is your MAF sensor might be dirty. Get a can of MAF sensor cleaner (not electrical parts cleaner or anything but MAF sensor cleaner) and spray the sensor off really good. Let it dry and see if that fixes your problem. Banks uses an oiled filter and the oil can sometimes get sucked through the filter and onto the MAF sensor which can cause it to read off, and that'll make your truck run a little different.

Other than that I'm not sure what it could be. A lot of people with stock LBZ's say that if you drive them easy most of the time then get into the throttle pretty good that it'll smoke a decent amount, maybe that has a little to do with your case, maybe not. I'd bet MAF sensor being dirty way before an injector though. LBZ's are not known to have injector problems, and if it was a bad injector I'd think it would act up all the time not just erradically. When I say LBZ I mean 06 LLY's like yours as well as LBZ's since they're the same motor.

04 LB7: It's coming along, slowly
gr8shot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2010, 09:12 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
Quicker Then Brian!

hes smoking white though jesse... and a dirt maf wont make it knock at idle

i know i drove around without one once or twice

Thanks to,
Big Dipper, Efilive, Calvert, Precession Converters, Nick@Duramaxtuner, Eaton, Pureflow, and Falken

Last edited by RedBowTies88; 03-18-2010 at 09:29 AM.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:36 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
Husker Diesel Pimp

He said white or grey. If it's grey it can just be a light haze of black smoke, too much fuel from a bad reading MAF. that'd be a simple thing to try anyway. No the maf won't make it knock at idle. But I'd think an injector would act up all the time not just some of the time. It should be repeatable.

04 LB7: It's coming along, slowly
gr8shot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2010, 09:48 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
Quicker Then Brian!

true...unless its a harness issue but that shouldn't happen on an 06 LLY.... does sound a lot like it thogh

Thanks to,
Old 03-18-2010, 09:53 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

could be the connection on the injector it happened to mine before.if its that tho it should throw a cylinder misfire code.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:46 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

sounds like what happened to mine. injector harness and injector.
"Had her going 120 but I never do it unless Im chasin a cute chick in a Ferrari"

2007 King Quad 700 EFI
Bigwheel Kit with ITP Mud-Lite XTR tires
Seth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2010, 10:47 AM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

I checked the MAF sensor. It was loose, I could wiggle it back and forth before I loosened the 2 screws. I cleaned and reinstalled it. It didn't look dirty and I didn't see anything obviously wrong with it. It doesn't knock at idle, only under power, and not all the time. It comes and goes. It is/was idling rough, almost feels like a misfire in a gas engine. The smoke was grey or white looking but is hard to tell while driving it at night. It's not the black smoke from unburned fuel. I can't test drive it until I'm off work this evening. Thanks for all the advice on this. Hopefully this is a simple fix. If not I'll be back asking what I shoul dcheck next.
L.R.S. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.