Truck Shut off, Wont Start Back UP! - Page 3 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
911 Problems Forum Truck won't start or drive? Post here!

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2010, 04:34 PM   eBay Motors  #21 (permalink)

Im having the same problem with my 2002 Chevy Duramax with 76,000 miles. It dies and wont start, but after repriming the fuel filter bleeder it will fire right up. Has any one had any problems while driving down the road or does this seem to be something right after the initial start up. It has happend to me twice now and I dont want it to happen on the highway.
melawson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2010, 05:38 PM   eBay Motors  #22 (permalink)

Melawson...Sounds like the same problem I had...I think while you are driving the fuel pump keeps up with any small air leak you might get after it sits for awhile. I'm no mechanic but I believe the leak caused by the fuel filter housing occurs while you park the trk for an extended period of time. It loses its prime but will run ok after you prime it. Have the dealer search for this service bulletin, dont know the number, but apparently it details this defect. Hope that helps.....
bajaman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 07:39 PM   eBay Motors  #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajaman View Post
Last week, i pulled my truck out of the garage and it just stalled. I tried to restart but it only turned over, like a gas engine without fuel or spark. I had it towed to the dealer and they had it for a day and ran down the batteries and reprimed and it started. When I picked it up they told me they couldn't locate the problem and it seemed fine now. I drove it home and it sat in my driveway for about 4 hours. When I went to pull it in the garage, guess what? Same problem. Started for about 10 seconds then died and wouldn't restart. I primed the engine and it started and I took it back to the dealer and told them it would stay until they located the problem. Several hours later they called back and said they found a dealership notice that the fuel filter housing developes a small crack allowing it to suck air and lose prime. This is a dealer warranty issue and they installed a new fuel filter housing and the problem seems to be ok. I will evaluate it for a few days and if fixed it shouldn't lose prime. There is a $100.00 deductible for the repair but compared to $600.00 originally quoted I was pleased. Anybody else have this issue? P.S. They will tell you the housing is on back order and at least 4 week delay in getting parts. They located one in an afternoon from another dealer who would let it go.....FYI

2006 Chev Silverado, 2500HD 4X4, edge programer, Stainless cat back 4" exhaust, duramax and allison trans
this guy is absolutely right. Same thing happened on my 01. it would start, run a few seconds, die and not crank for hours. Thought fuel pressure regualtor dince mine to was surging at idle(by 50-150rpm) so i replaced it. same day i got done it died. took it to the dealer and they put on a fuel filter housing and hasnt had a problem since. my dad's 03 did it too about a month ago and it has a cracked fuel filter housing. To anyone who has this problem and gets stranded with no prime just pump the primer button and she should get you home. i would advise a long period of doing that do. it could damage the pistons in the cp3. hope this helps.
ported turbo inlet
ppe boost valve
dual auto meter ultra lite gauges
6.6power is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.