Truck shuts off after running for ~5 seconds and won't restart - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
911 Problems Forum Truck won't start or drive? Post here!

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2010, 06:25 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Truck shuts off after running for ~5 seconds and won't restart

So, had this problem twice. Each time it was after I left my radar detector, sirius radio and FM transmitter plugged in for a few hours. I don't see how this is related, but those are the only two times I've had a problem.

Truck had been sitting for 3-8hrs, 3 electrical accessories plugged in, cranking speed seems more than adequate.

What happens is this:

I start the truck. Fires right up. Then it shuts off. The first time I think I saw a message on the gauge cluster like "Charging inadequate".

After shutting off, the truck cranks and cranks and cranks but never fires. The first time, it fired after leaving it sit for a minute or two. The second time, I was at home, so I just gave up and figured I'd let the starter cool off.

So, basically, any time I have left the truck for more than a few hours with these accessories plugged in, it fires up immediately and then shuts down. It is very difficult or impossible to restart the truck after this, at least for a certain time period.

Mods:
EGR delete
EFI live
Upgraded tranmission/torque converter (unknown)
Bullydog Outlook w/ pyrometer
4" full exhaust

Any help is VERY appreciated. I've only had the truck for a few days and this is really disappointing...
brent_strong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2010, 07:32 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

Ok, so I went and manually primed the fuel system a couple times.

First time, cracked the bleeder, pumped the primer a few times until some fuel came out and then closed the bleeder. Tried to start the truck. No dice.

Second time, cracked the bleeder, pumped the primer a few times, but no fuel came out of the bleeder. Instead, I noticed some trickling down from UNDER the filter.

Does this just mean I need a new filter? Or what?
Old 06-29-2010, 07:45 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

Start up and die is not typical of filter drama?? it is typical of vehicle antitheft
issues? When it does start up and die is your theft or security light flashing?
have you changed keys??? If nothing proves out then you need to see just what fuel rail pressure is doing??? You need at least 4300PSI to start and stay running.
GCAT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2010, 07:49 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

I haven't noticed the antitheft or security light flashing. Would those be on the cluster?

Key is old/original. It looks like it has every one of the 130k miles on it and the keyless entry fob.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:52 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
got the go fast itch
Lifetime Supporting Member

i had that problem and it was the reset valve on the air cleaner so i changed the filter and reset the valve and the problem went away

Big Dipper stage IV Transgo shift kit Precision ML converter Raptor 150 lift pump DDP 75hp nozzles ARP headstuds

Last edited by iranaround; 06-29-2010 at 07:54 PM.
iranaround is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2010, 07:58 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

Ok, definitely something to check. I assume it needs an air filter anyway.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:13 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

I had one in today that was leaking from the water in fuel sensor. Her truck would stall after startup, then crank continuously until it was primed and would then start. Replaced the sensor and fuel filter since we had it off, and problem solved.
2005 Duramax, AFE stageII, MBRP downpipe, MBRP downpipe and full exhaust, ccv reroute, MA pump rub, egr blocked, edge cts insight, Starlite Diesel efi live, 95gph FASS Platinum, 98 gallon fuel tank, larger trans cooler, levelling kit, 18" ProComp with Nitto Crosstek tires, Driven Diesel Power Steering Lines, and two car seats!

Strictly Diesel

Arizona Diesel Club
NOYZMKR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2010, 08:29 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOYZMKR View Post
I had one in today that was leaking from the water in fuel sensor. Her truck would stall after startup, then crank continuously until it was primed and would then start. Replaced the sensor and fuel filter since we had it off, and problem solved.

Sounds identical to my symptoms. Especially when you factor in the drip I saw from the bottom of the fuel filter.

Thanks so much for this!
Old 07-09-2010, 07:52 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

New water in fuel sensor solved all of my problems

MadJack Synthetics
Old 07-09-2010, 08:26 AM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Had the same problem-- and it was just a loose filter-- Just a little turn to tighten it, and it did not do it again!
Chevy 04.5 LLY, 2X, shell, XDR, MikeL Heavy duty up-grade, 6spd, TransGo, deep pan, de-badged, 65 Gallon replacement Aero tank, LBZ-mp, Kennedy pump, shimmed, Pre-fuel filter, tow mirrors, BU cam, gauges, GPS, Sirius, bags, custom grille, fender vents, HD trans cooler- Curt front hitch, footwell lights, load lights, Studs, head gaskets.--- Jerry
jc1843 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.