Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Truck's Dead! Help!!!

3K views 22 replies 5 participants last post by  kawitt24 
#1 ·
Hey Guys (and girls), Kristen's back! yay! haha Anyways! I need some help asap!
2002 GMC 2500 HD Duramax

We were hauling a horse trailer with the truck and about 50 miles into our trip we had low fuel and needed to stop to fuel up. We filled up, ran into the store for some drinks and came back out and the truck wouldn't start. It turns over and cranks but wont fire. A nice guy came over and tried helping us out. Tried jumping us, tried banging underneath the truck near the fuel tank etc. COuldn't get it going. Finally had to have it towed. Now it sits in my driveway.... I was told by many that it's the "fuel Pump" because they couldn't hear it when i would turn my key to the "on" position. However, How can it be a fuel pump when these trucks "dont have fuel pumps" what else do you think could be going wrong? Battery voltage is very low as well... something strange. I had the oil changed the day before. My fiance checked the fuel filter when we got home from the trip and it was almost bone dry, we filled it up with fuel, put it back on and the thing still wouldn't start. Maybe needs a brand new filter? I have never had this issue before, usually when my fuel filter goes (or starts going) the truck just wont shift right and will bog down... any thoughts? Another friend of mine said it could be there sensor that comes from the "supply pump" I called the dealer for a price on a "fuel pump" and they said they have one in stock for my truck for $660 dollars... what is it they have if these trucks dont have fuel pumps???? lol HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
you dont have a fuel pump #1 so those people are wrong. change the fuel filter it may be clogged and the bleed the system to get the air out. also see if you can get someone to check for codes and check the oil level

#3 ·
Did you try and just prime the filter a few times and see if that helped??

#6 ·
look on the passenger sidewall....see the fuel filter near the back...look at the top of where it screws onto and you will see a round "button" about 2-3 inches tall and about 2 in diameter.....push down on it a few times.

Is it hard?

sounds perverted but whatever.

#8 ·
before you push down on it loosen the black screw just on the rigth of it if you're looking in from the front of the hood. then pump untill diesel squirts out and tighten back in. pump some more untill it gets hard then try to start it. if its cranking weak throw a battery charger on it

#9 ·
dont crank with the screw open just pump away till pure diesel squirts out then tighten back up

#11 ·
no.....gas pedal does nothing.

its right by the bleeder screw....its the highest point on the fuel filter assembly. Its just a cylinder that you push down.

#12 ·
yep, i didnt see it at first either but you just push down on the whole fuel filter thingy and it will move trust us, pump untill you see pure diesel coming out then tighten the screw and try to start

#15 ·
it should depress with the bleeder open pretty easily.....might have to put some ass into it, could have seized a bit.

But be careful cause something may have broke inside and it may need to be rebuilt.

#16 ·
And another pic....

#18 ·
the pic is upside down. My fiance took it off and greased it up and now it's moving. The thing was stuck very bad.... i told him to becareful not to break it LOL!!! hes out putting it back on right now...

#19 ·
OMFGGGGGGGGGGGGGG its running!!!!!!!!!!!!! its been sitting in my drive way for 3 weeks now cuz i didn't have the $ for a "fuel pump" from the dealer and 20 mins after asking you guys the friggen thing is running! OMGGGG i loveeeeee you alllllll

#20 ·
all it takes is asking....:drink:rockin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.