Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

More Fuel issues!!!!

1K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  jc1843 
#1 ·
So my truck is having more fuel issues and I'm at my wit's end with it. Initially, I had issues with the fuel filter head, then the Fass delete bowl, then the wif sensor. I replaced all that and the truck ran like a top for about 2 weeks. then one morning I started having issues starting it again like I did when I replaced the filter head. Got it running, then parked it for about 2 hours. then when I went to start it back up, I had nothing. I went to prime it again and realized that my intake line to the fuel filter head was collapsed. Got it all fixed and still won't get any fuel from the tank forward. I drained the tank, pressurized it several times with the lines disconnected from the filter head and thought everything was fine, but I'm STILL not getting any fuel up front. I'm about to order another new filter head because I trashed the check ball and spring and see if the CP3 will pull fuel forward, but if not, does anyone have any insight for me? I'm about to set this thing on fire and watch it burn while drinking a beer Noomore:beerGrrRRrr

#2 ·
When you say the fuel hose was collapsed -- The CP3 was trying to draw fuel from the filter head-- BUT if the check ball is still filter head, with the filter delete, or the fuel hoses are kinked, it cannot draw fuel.

Some have had problems where the fuel lines are by the side of the trans-- GM had a TSB for that problem,

TSB Buletin Silverado Fuel lines

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

A dealer may need to perform a repair on the rubber portion of the fuel supply (suction) lines. The rubber section of the line could become kinked or collapse. Fuel lines that kink or collapse may induce a fuel system restriction (high vacuum gauge readings) or DTCs P0087, P0093, and/or P1093 to set.
If a technician was to suspect the rubber portion of the fuel feed line collapsing or kinking, replacement of only the rubber line is acceptable.
Recommendation/Instructions:

Complete the steps below to repair the rubber section of fuel supply line:

Carefully cut, split, and remove the OEM crimp from both ends of the flexible hose. These crimps can be cut with a small cut-off wheel. Split the crimp into two pieces (use your discretion on first cut location, then cut directly across from, or 180 degrees from first cut). Special care must be taken not to damage the flare on the end of the steel pipe that will be reused.
Remove the OEM crimps and flexible portion of hose from the existing supply line.
If replacing the rubber section of the supply line, a 1/2 ID hose meeting SAE specification 100R3 is suggested. Dealers may be able to find a local supplier for this hose, or can contact the manufacturer Parker Hannifin. The replacement hose would be a 1/2" diameter Parker part number 601-8 or H017-8. To find a local distributor the Parker website can be accessed at Parker Engineering Your Success Motion Control Technology
Use worm type hose clamps (use double clamps on each end) to attach the replacement hose to the existing pipe.

#3 ·
It was the line going into the fuel filter head that was collapsed. I found my old check ball and spring and will be getting a cheapo stock filter to see if I can get it to pull fuel that way as well as doing the 5-gallon bucket trick to see if my fass is actually picking up fuel or if the pickup basket in the tank is clogged. If that's the case, I'm just going to put a sump in it and be done with it. All I know is that this is getting to be very annoying!

#4 ·
Oh, and when my fass was put on, we fixed the collapsed line problem then, about 70k miles ago

#5 ·
So after once again disconnecting fuel lines from filter head and pressurizing the tank with fuel in it, I was able to get fuel forward. So I have eliminated a clog as part of the problem and as I listen more, the more I hear my Fass amp up like it's got some heavy cavitation somewhere. I'm pretty sure the mesh filter in the pickup is clogged, so I'm just going to add a sump to the tank and be done with it. Any recommendations on which is the best?? But on the bright side, the truck is running! I put a stock filter back on and replaced the check ball and spring and she primed right up and fired up and has been running with no issues!

#6 · (Edited)
The Duramax does not use a screen on the pick up tube-

Someone had a problem where they added a bottle of additive to the fuel, and the paper seal fell into the tank. That restricted the fuel at times.

Note: Always a good idea to have a locking fuel cap to prevent someone from dumping something in the fuel.

Moved to LMM for more help

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.