electrical problem! guages going crazy - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
911 Problems Forum Truck won't start or drive? Post here!

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2011, 03:08 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporting Member

electrical problem! need help asap! guages going crazy

well normally id just start going to town with a volt meter but im 200 miles from home at my sisters for easter. my whole instrument panel is going crazy. it will go from being normal to brake, abs, flashers, battery light go on and all the other guages die out. 2 seconds later it will come back and then go crazy again. im thinking its got to be shorting out somewhere. anyone had a simila problem? i had one big fuse that was blown (40amp, stud#1) under the hood. i really dont want to get stuck here and have to take it to the dealer on monday to get it figured out.
03 EC/LB LB7: EFI LIVE, S&B intake, 5" DE, ATS manifolds and up pipes, Stock turbo (for 1 more weeks), airdog 150, pieced together trans, sleeve (trac bars and centerlink soon), 8" rear air bags-overload springs+2" blocks, bilstein 5100 shocks, leveled, nitto 285/75/17's and BFG KM2 255/85/16's for winter.

Last edited by timespentsearching; 04-23-2011 at 03:18 PM.
timespentsearching is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2011, 05:12 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

First that fuse is for the power to the tow cable plug-- leave that out for now-! It is only to power and charge if there is a trailer in tow.

Check the ground cable at the frame under the driver's seat. Clean it and make sure it is secured good.

Does it work OK with the light off-? If so- could be a short in the trailer plug-- or the cable that is behind the driver side-- on top of the gas tank-- (That is for a 5th wheel plug if the person wants to add one.)
Chevy 04.5 LLY, 2X, shell, XDR, MikeL Heavy duty up-grade, 6spd, TransGo, deep pan, de-badged, 65 Gallon replacement Aero tank, LBZ-mp, Kennedy pump, shimmed, Pre-fuel filter, tow mirrors, BU cam, gauges, GPS, Sirius, bags, custom grille, fender vents, HD trans cooler- Curt front hitch, footwell lights, load lights, Studs, head gaskets.--- Jerry
jc1843 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2011, 05:37 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporting Member

well i just replaced that fuse. i think its the instrument cluster. i did some searching and that looks like what it probably is. its on the cluster, rest of the pickup runs fine, not a frame ground issue.
03 EC/LB LB7: EFI LIVE, S&B intake, 5" DE, ATS manifolds and up pipes, Stock turbo (for 1 more weeks), airdog 150, pieced together trans, sleeve (trac bars and centerlink soon), 8" rear air bags-overload springs+2" blocks, bilstein 5100 shocks, leveled, nitto 285/75/17's and BFG KM2 255/85/16's for winter.
timespentsearching is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2011, 06:21 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
Do work!
Supporting Member

unhook to batteries for a little while and hook them back up? That took care of my security issue I had a few weeks back.
GMguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2011, 06:26 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

This almost sounds like the problem that im having, Did you figure it out? In the colder weather it looks like the glow plugs are drawing way to much, alternator gauge goes from 13v to around 17 to 18 volts as it surges up the service air bag lite flashes across the dash, change fuel filter, change oil filter, headlites and dash lites flash like strobe lites. it all stops once the truck warms up a little and the alternator gauge stops pulsing. Its fun in the dark driving down the road with the headlites flashing people actually pull over and let me by. Oh and on a side note if the truck is plugged in and the block kept warm this does not happen.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:29 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Forgot to add everytime I bring it to the dealer they cant duplicate it, they checked the charging system and the batteries found nothing.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:53 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

mine was doing some crazy s@#$ gauges going crazy, no blinkers, but brake lights worked... wouldnt start sometimes. Ended up being the ignition housing.
2003 chevy 2500hd 4x4 ecsb,Big Dipper Stage IV, precision ml conv. Thanks George, pump rub fix,EPR'S efi live,epr's billet s371mm,BD-BOV,merchant-updated exhaust manifold,pml diff cover,caltracs,cognito-uca's,airdog-150,industrial injection modded cp3,rare parts tie rods,FTE 7" stack kit and resonator,285/75/16

www.powerlabsdiesel.com
harleyd33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2011, 08:47 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

How old are your batteries? Mine did the same thing a few years back and it was the batteries. even though they tested fine, put in a fresh set and problem solved.
AFE air intake, 4" SS exhaust
Diablo Sport Predator Programed
Internally lubed by Amsoil w/ Duel Bypass filtration
GW DieselDude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2011, 03:15 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

I was having a similar problem where the gauges would go off completely, then come back on. I removed the bezel, then the gauge cluster, and pulled and re-inserted the plug and now it's working OK. Don't know how long the "fix" will last but it was a lot cheaper than replacing the whole cluster. My local Mech. quoted $600 to do the cluster replacement and couldn't guarantee my miles would be correct unless I could get it to work just before he replaced it. Now that I know how to pull the cluster I could do the replacement myself but the rebuilt cluster vendors tell you how to get the mileage right.

This whole cluster failure problem cries out for a group lawsuit on GM. When the cluster fails, you don't know how much fuel you have, how fast you're going......nothing! It's a real safety problem. I went to the dealer on mine and they seemed clueless......asked me if I checked the fuse. It's not the fuse!

Last edited by SantaFe; 05-08-2011 at 03:17 PM. Reason: ..
SantaFe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2011, 07:03 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

I'm having the same issue with my truck! Its an 03 sierra 6.6L Duramax. This problem has been on going for a good year at least. My speedo has been dysfunctional for a year or so. I have been using my Kenwood in-dash DVD player with Garmin GPS for the speed. Basically, I put my key in the ignition and the whole dash cluster goes nuts. All the gauges (minus the broken speedometer) spike high to low. Sometimes the odometer/message center will work, but not display the correct mileage when it does work. My main battery was dead today. I noticed that the odometer display was still on when I turned the truck off; it was just a few bars of color on the display. I really haven't checked any of the fuses or anything yet.

Timespentsearching, is this problem similar to yours?

And anybody have any recommendations?
turbohorns is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.