LMM Fan Belt - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
911 Problems Forum Truck won't start or drive? Post here!

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2008, 07:39 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

LMM Fan Belt

Working on the truck last night and noticed my fan belt is so loose you can take it off by hand without any effort. What is the best way to tighten the belt on this truck? I know the tensioner but where is it located and how do I adjust the tension?
Yamapro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2008, 08:51 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

someone has to know how to adjust the tension of the belt?
Old 09-18-2008, 09:03 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
Husker Diesel Pimp

Give it some time, someone will know. I'd say just take the dang thing to a dealership and have them fix it. It's gota be under warranty still.
gr8shot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2008, 09:10 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamapro View Post
someone has to know how to adjust the tension of the belt?
Passenger side near the Alternator, but it Seems like you’re leaving something out here. Did you remove the belt, work on a component on the front of the engine, or alter something? There is no adjustment of tension on the Drive Belt, the Drive Belt Tensioner handles that. Is the belt routed incorrectly causing this slack? Drive Belt Tensioners do wear out, just not normally on a truck as new as yours.
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"

Hook'em_Horns! is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2008, 02:05 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

truck is two weeks old. have not touched the belt or any of the components on it. was installing air filter last night and noticed how loose it is. I can literally take it off the alternator with my hand, you can move at least 3 inches of slack in the straight area of the belt. There is no adjustment on the tensioner?
Old 09-18-2008, 02:29 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

A. Wrong belt installed. (unlikely)
B. Most likely, the belt routing is incorrect. Check the diagram up front for the proper routing of the belt. The tensioner has plenty of adjustment on it. It fact, with a normal handle length of a ˝” drive wrench, you still need a pipe extension to pull that baby back all the way, there is that much pressure against the spring. It is very easy to miss one spot in the routing and still have the belt stay on with the available travel on the tensioner. I would recommend another set of hands to assist.
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"

Old 09-19-2008, 05:00 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

Update.... The truck is two weeks old and the spring tensioner went bad........ hhhmmmm?
Old 09-19-2008, 05:00 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

thanks for the response anyways hookem
Old 09-19-2008, 05:59 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Well, that's bizarre...

Old 09-20-2008, 05:47 AM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

thats what I thought, but hey at least I saw it before I got stranded on the side of the road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.