Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Codes p0380 and p0540

11K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Icbal 
#1 ·
So two weeks ago I did the intake heater delete mod and just zip tied the coil out of the way, not unplugged or anything. Sunday was the first cold day here and when I started it the check engine light was on and those codes were on my edge cts. They have been recurring codes since.

Is this due to the heater being removed or is a glowplug bad? I haven't tried reinstalling it yet.

#2 ·
Codes 0540 and 0380 come on the second start after being cleared.

I've read there is some fuse beneath the fuse block, could I have blown it by pipe clamping the heater coil to one of the lines like I did? Would that fuse being blown cause these two codes? Help please

#3 ·
Surely someones had these two codes?

#4 ·
380 is glow plugs.I know if I dont wait for the start light to go out before I start it when cold the 380 code will come up and/or you have bad glow plugs.540 is Intake Air Heater A Circuit:cool:

#6 ·
The air intake heater is the delete mod you did two weeks ago,I dont think that code is set off by the glow plugs.
I would imagine a simple ohm test will find which glow plug is bad.:cool:

#7 ·
I took a voltmeter to it this morning. Never bothered before haha but now the truck wouldn't start this morning when it was -18 here in OK (very abnormal).

The red wire that runs into the glowplug controller should be hot constantly, correct?
I get 0.00 volts when the truck is in WTS mode then 86 mV other times. I didn't unbolt it and check because about that time my fingers were numb but is this for sure a bad controller? It probably won't be this cold here again anytime soon.

Btw, the p0540 code dissappeared with a new ecm from dmaxtuner.com :confused: but of course there are 0 volts at the heater.

#8 ·
Didn't think about it earlier but the 175 amp fuse has 12 on one side and 0 on the other haha yea problem solved..I hope

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.