LB7 upgrades help - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Aftermarket Mods. Discuss what Mods are right for you.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2011, 04:44 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

LB7 upgrades help

So I just got the 5" straight pipe installed so that leaves me with an edge attitude tuner and exhaust done to the truck. Where should I go now?

The truck itself feels pretty week especially after 50+, and the shifting seems kinda funny almost like it loads up maybe its a diesel thing? It's my first diesel.

I want to do tranny so im saving for that, I was thinking maybe selling the edge and getting an efi live tune from danville, heard nothing but good stuff about them. Whats everyone think?

Also, if my tranny has problems like slippage etc, can i still build it up or do i have to drop more money into it? Thanks for any help!
Maalakai is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2011, 04:49 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Welcome !!! And EFI would be the best thing for your truck if you choose that route. Along with a built tranny that thing will feel like a built drag truck compared to that Edge tuner you have now. I reccommend ditching the Edge and going to either PPE/ATS or EFI live. Then the tranny build can come. As far as "beefing up" goes, theres not much you can do to the 5 speeds other than build it right the first time. Good luck !! Have fun
CURRENT: 2006 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 crew cab (black), 20" chrome Diamo 16 Karat wheels wrapped with 33x11.5 Cooper Discoverer ATPs, 2" wheel spacers, custom straight pipe exhaust, PPEI dsp5 tuned by Kory, 8k HIDs in head/foglights, Limo tint, more coming soon...

SOLD:2002 CC/SB Duramax LS 4x4 LB7, Solid axle conversion, 14" lift, 20" XD Diesels (black), 39.5x16.5x20 Pitbull Rocker M/Ts, ATS E-power 160HP/360TQ Tune, Edge Attitude Moniter for Guages, Amsoil Custom Intake, PPE Boost Valve, Custom 5" Straight pipe, Limo Tint everywhere, HID 8k heads, Clarion 7" flip out, (2) 10" subs
ChevyDMax89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2011, 04:50 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

getting rid of that edge and upgrading to efi would be the next thing I would do along with a intake if you dont already have one. Then as you stated a transmission would be the next step. Then you can raise the tune some and grab yourself a lift pump to keep the fuel rail pressure up. Depending on what you want to do with the truck you could beef up the front end by add some tie-rod sleeves, and a set of cognito support braces. After all that is all said and done you will have a well built truck thats a lot of fun.
5" Magnaflow 6" Tip
Airaid intake
Raptor 100 gph lift pump
Autometer Cobalts Trans,Pyro,Boost
SunCoast stage 4/ 1057 converter
Crank It Up Diesel Sleeves and Centerlink
dmaxkid_90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2011, 04:51 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

I havent heard any good things about the edge, so i would ditch it and go with something else. have heard efi is the way to go.
2001 2500hd lb7 a/t ec/sb leather,westin steps,intake horn mod,billet grille emblem,mldgs removed,partially debadged,Quadzilla S2,K&N filter,Chrome H2 wheels wrapped in 285 70 Kuhmo"s,t-bars cranked,tow mirrors,4inch MBRP exhaust with 5 in.tip,Aero turbine muffler,leveled tow mirrors

perfomancetruckproducts.com

"I've drank enough whiskey to float a battle ship around" Ronnie VanZant
Night Owl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2011, 05:00 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

LB7=Next purchase needs to be a airdog 2. Keep those injectors happy..
ne-max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2011, 05:57 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

Ppe boost increase valve and profab air horn
Old 10-19-2011, 05:31 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

How hard is the installation of the airdog and the intake horn? I wanna knock out as much as I can by own installation and take it in for the bigger stuff. I'm no diesel mechanic but google and youtube provides a lot of help for installing things lol.

How fast should a stock lb7 be? Mine is really slow without the chip, a lot slower than the lly i test drove the day I bought my lb7. My 02' ford dually with the v10 would wax the floor with it. Not tryin to have a debate or anything but im just wondering.

Thanks for the all the replies so far!
Old 10-19-2011, 05:40 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Just make sure you change the oil regularly, fuel filter every 10k miles, and make sure all your fluid levels are good. Look at and smell the tranny fluid. How many miles on the truck? An LB7 can be very very fast with upgrades. I agree they can be pigs stock, but tuning (EFI or PPE) can really wake them up. Build your tranny, add lift pump, and you will beat most trucks you race against. You'd have no problem outrunning that V10 then lol
CURRENT: 2006 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 crew cab (black), 20" chrome Diamo 16 Karat wheels wrapped with 33x11.5 Cooper Discoverer ATPs, 2" wheel spacers, custom straight pipe exhaust, PPEI dsp5 tuned by Kory, 8k HIDs in head/foglights, Limo tint, more coming soon...

SOLD:2002 CC/SB Duramax LS 4x4 LB7, Solid axle conversion, 14" lift, 20" XD Diesels (black), 39.5x16.5x20 Pitbull Rocker M/Ts, ATS E-power 160HP/360TQ Tune, Edge Attitude Moniter for Guages, Amsoil Custom Intake, PPE Boost Valve, Custom 5" Straight pipe, Limo Tint everywhere, HID 8k heads, Clarion 7" flip out, (2) 10" subs
ChevyDMax89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2011, 05:38 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

Thanks Dmax! There is currently 132k miles on it. I read the manual, and someone wrote down the services done, changed all fluids including differential oil, etc. All 8 injectors were replaced about 20k miles ago. So looks good there.

What would be better? Someone told me ppe is better and most others say efi live is better. I like the occasional smoke tune if i had a choice im not into smoking people out but it does put a smile on my face when i see it rolling out my exhaust lol.

Tax time sounds like the best bet for the tranny. The truck is new to me so its hard to save up $4200 when i spend most my money in diesel, haha. I would say with the chip it would pretty easily dust the v10 lol.

Thanks again man!
Old 10-20-2011, 05:43 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maalakai View Post
Thanks Dmax! There is currently 132k miles on it. I read the manual, and someone wrote down the services done, changed all fluids including differential oil, etc. All 8 injectors were replaced about 20k miles ago. So looks good there.

What would be better? Someone told me ppe is better and most others say efi live is better. I like the occasional smoke tune if i had a choice im not into smoking people out but it does put a smile on my face when i see it rolling out my exhaust lol.

Tax time sounds like the best bet for the tranny. The truck is new to me so its hard to save up $4200 when i spend most my money in diesel, haha. I would say with the chip it would pretty easily dust the v10 lol.

Thanks again man!
Not cool. That crap help put dpfs on trucks.
ne-max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.