how can i get better mileage? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Aftermarket Mods. Discuss what Mods are right for you.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2011, 12:38 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

how can i get better mileage?

this is my first post so sorry if it is in the wrong spot or something is not right. so i have been looking online about tuners and they say they can give like 100 hp boost. i was talking to my buddies and they say you can set certain rpms for the gears too. that is good but i would like to purchase one if they boost MPG. so what tuners would you recommend. or what has worked for you? also would buying aftermarket intakes, filters, electric fans, exhaust or anything else that i'm missing help too? Thanks!!
07_6.6_ltz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2011, 12:43 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

The best tuner you can get is efi live. Search that up in the forums. Aftermarket intakes arnt that important unless your making 500hp+. You can get a 4" straight pipe exhaust and dpf delete to help.

2011 Sierra 2500HD CCSB LML (Buisness vehicle) - 4" Fabtec w/ DirtLogics, 35" micky Thompsons, 20" fuel boost rims - color matched cut out style
DieselLuver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2012, 04:34 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

Hey i am new to the diesel scene and i have alot of questions but the main one is how can i get better mileage. i have 2006 ext. cab 4x4 duramax with 8 inch fabtech lift, 20 inch wheels with 37in. toyo open country tires, ppe programmer, mbrp exhaust, air raid intake and i keep my fuel filters changed everytime i change oil. I have calculated my mileage several times and the best i have gotten is 12.3 it is literally killing me. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks
Old 01-02-2012, 04:42 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Get rid of lift and big tires lol

Sent from my DROIDX
Donnie 08 GMC Sierra 2500HD cc/sb Debadged 5in straight pipe MPI twins 60% Big Dipper nozzels EFI live tuned by Rob at ATP PVC reroute Bank 3in IC pipe PPE Race Vavle & Ported Fuel Rail Fitting CP3 High Flow Feed Line Kit Raptor 150 lift pump built trans by Big Dipper EGR delete with 3in Y-bridge BD manifold Tinted tail lights & 3rd brake light Recon smoked LED cab lights LED tailgate bar Big Rig amber running lights 8K hids lows & driving Fuel Hostage rims Nitto 420's 305/50/20 3in drop shackles traction bars PPE straight centerlink Rareparts tierods Rancho steering stablizer and shocks line X Bed liner billet fuel door
http://www.atptrucks.com/
RedMax316 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2012, 04:46 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporting Member

Welcome to the DF!! EFI Live and an exhaust will help you.

2006 LBZ SOLD
EFI Live V2, DSP 5 by Idaho Rob
3" MBRP Turbo DP
4" MBRP Exhaust
MBRP Hot Side IC Pipe
PPE IC Boots
BD Full Bore Exhaust Manifolds
SDP EGR Delete
PCV Reroute
TCase Pump rub fixed
Autometer Gauge Pod w/ Boost and EGT Cobalt Gauges
Bilstein 5100"s

2008 Copper Canyon 30ft 5th wheel
BUBBA3M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2012, 04:49 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1TENNESSEE View Post
Hey i am new to the diesel scene and i have alot of questions but the main one is how can i get better mileage. i have 2006 ext. cab 4x4 duramax with 8 inch fabtech lift, 20 inch wheels with 37in. toyo open country tires, ppe programmer, mbrp exhaust, air raid intake and i keep my fuel filters changed everytime i change oil. I have calculated my mileage several times and the best i have gotten is 12.3 it is literally killing me. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks
lift and tires will kill mpg. also if you have the lly motor, not the lbz (i think 2006 is lly but im not 100% on that) you might want to upgrade the mouthpiece to the lbz. Its relatively cheap, helps slightly with mpg but mostly just helps it breath better = lower egt
EFI LIVE with locking dsp5 switch tuned by Kory Willis
Edge CTS Insight with pyrometer, MBRP SS Turbo Back 4" exhaust no muffler w/ 5" tip, EGR Block Plate
Transgo Jr, PCV Reroute, Resonator Plugged
joshmundy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2012, 05:19 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMax316 View Post
Get rid of lift and big tires lol

Sent from my DROIDX
X2
AFE MP, MBRP 4" Straight Pipe, EGR Delete
Magnaflow DP, LB7 Up Pipe, ARP Head Studs
PCV Reroute, Resonator Block, Shimmed/Ported
Donaldson Filters, Bars Cranked, Debadged
Bilstein 5100's, Rancho 5000 Stabilizer
Gooseneck Hitch, 285's

Sold: 2003 Silverado SS 6.0L AWD
Jkam0365 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2012, 07:41 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

Yeah i understand that the lift and tires are hurting it lol but surely to god there is more mpg in this truck, i mean 12.3 is awful. and i know that it doesnt hurt them that bad cause i have talked to several people with my setup that gets way better than me. i keep seeing people with the egr delete, does my truck need that or is it just the lbz motors cause mine is the lly. and i have the mbrp exhaust but it does have a muffler, so should i straight pipe it. sorry for all the questions but if i dont figure something out soon i am gonna go trade it in. thanks
Old 01-02-2012, 07:45 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1TENNESSEE View Post
Yeah i understand that the lift and tires are hurting it lol but surely to god there is more mpg in this truck, i mean 12.3 is awful. and i know that it doesnt hurt them that bad cause i have talked to several people with my setup that gets way better than me. i keep seeing people with the egr delete, does my truck need that or is it just the lbz motors cause mine is the lly. and i have the mbrp exhaust but it does have a muffler, so should i straight pipe it. sorry for all the questions but if i dont figure something out soon i am gonna go trade it in. thanks
Since it's the LLY, have you upgraded your mouthpiece and blocked the egr?
AFE MP, MBRP 4" Straight Pipe, EGR Delete
Magnaflow DP, LB7 Up Pipe, ARP Head Studs
PCV Reroute, Resonator Block, Shimmed/Ported
Donaldson Filters, Bars Cranked, Debadged
Bilstein 5100's, Rancho 5000 Stabilizer
Gooseneck Hitch, 285's

Sold: 2003 Silverado SS 6.0L AWD
Jkam0365 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2012, 07:57 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

06 LLY and LBZ are basically the same,only difference if i recall is factory tuning,Its basically an LBZ detuned.

2007.5 LMM-6" Zone Lift,20x10 KMC HOSS rims,35/12.5/20 Mickey Thompson Baja ATZs,4" turbo back to black 6" stack,EFI Tuned by Dans Diesel Performance,Airdog 165, Edge Insight CTS,Mag hytec diff cover,Longhorn Fab Shop Traction Bars,N-FABS,Fabtech tie rods,braced,All black everything [B]
smokinblack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.