CAT filter question..... - Page 2 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Aftermarket Mods. Discuss what Mods are right for you.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 03:19 PM   eBay Motors  #11 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

I use the cat filter and let my airdog collect the water.
2006 Chevy Silverado ..LBZ..mbrp 5" turbo exhaust (no muffler or cats) modified stock air intake, EFI by Kory Willis, Big Dipper stage IV trans, Precision ML, Pump rub fix, Alligator trans lines, Autometer guages, Airdog II-165, Ready Lift leveling kit, 285/75 Nitto Dune Grappler, Bilstein shocks, Cognito idler and pitman arm braces, PPE tie rod sleeves, fingerstick, blocker plate, pvc reroute,air intake regulator blocked, Banks boost tube, All Amsoil fluids.
tmm403 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 03:41 PM   eBay Motors  #12 (permalink)

cat 1r-0750 is a 2 micron filter and water seperator. but a Fleetguard fs1212 is a better w/s, but it has to be on vacumm to work right meaning not after a lift pump
16" method race wheels w/ BFG allterrains
hvactech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 03:58 PM   eBay Motors  #13 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

You'll be fine running the cat filter there built to separate the water I wouldn't worry about it just change the filter at 6 to 8000 miles.
2006 2500 HD SLT ECLB, LBZ, LED tailights, black turn signals , black aftermarket headlights,265/75/16s uniroyal larados,Bilstein shocks,Banks 4inch exhaust, Cat adp and 2 micron cat filter , amsoil oil, pcv Re-route from alligator performance,And S&B air intake good to be driving a diesel again.

2002 Chevy silverado 2500 HD, LB7, traded it on a gasser and then traded it in for LBZ.
bigjohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 03:33 AM   eBay Motors  #14 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Thanks for all the responses. It sounds like I will be better off with the CAT filter alone than with the factory filter. I have yet to see the "water in fuel" light come on anyway, on either of the dmaxes I've owned, so it's worth it for me to switch.
4" exhaust w/muffler, EGR delete/Sinister diesel, Kodiak LBZ mouthpiece, PCV rerouted, Nicktane/CAT adapter, Autometer pyro & boost gauges, EFI Live by Kory, Transgo, pump rub kit, LBZ intake conv, H2's, Debadged
nick1camper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 06:39 AM   eBay Motors  #15 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Yeah honestly IMO Cat wouldn't warranty a fuel system on their engines, with a filter that wasn't designed to separate water. I mean, on a job site, transfer tank to transfer tank (shipping to jobsite) I would expect water to be pretty common to get in fuel tanks.

Sent from my Autoguide app.
5" DE, rerouted, debadged, demolded, air dog, stock fuel

Big thanks, Duramaxtuner.com & Kory Willis @ PPEI
TakeEm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 06:41 AM   eBay Motors  #16 (permalink)
ATPTRUCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeem View Post
yeah honestly imo cat wouldn't warranty a fuel system on their engines, with a filter that wasn't designed to separate water. I mean, on a job site, transfer tank to transfer tank (shipping to jobsite) i would expect water to be pretty common to get in fuel tanks.

Sent from my autoguide app.
x2.
Special thanks to: Mike L, Gtrippin, IdahoRob, Dmaxstore, HSP, ISSPRO, Yukon, Airdog

LIKE US ON FACEBOOK!
Adrenaline Truck Performance IDAHO ROB 208.685.1000
sickdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 09:21 AM   eBay Motors  #17 (permalink)

Technically speaking, Cat does not market the 1R-0750 as a water separator and because of that, they call it a secondary filter. They recommend a water separator as a primary filter. But that does not mean you can't just run the 1R-0750 and be perfectly fine....plenty of people are doing that without problems. Cat would just not recommend it.

For the sake of peace of mind and sanity, I'd run a Donaldson water separator with the clear bowl if that is to be your primary filter.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:14 AM   eBay Motors  #18 (permalink)

If you dont already know the factory fuel filter and water seperator are so inefficent most people would crap their pants if they knew what was getting through it, 60% at 6 microns vs 98% at 2 microns with the CAT. Im running the CAT 1r-0750 standalone and have no worries about not having the GM "Water Seperator"

Stock for now...
07LBZ6.6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 08:41 AM   eBay Motors  #19 (permalink)
ATPTRUCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07LBZ6.6 View Post
If you dont already know the factory fuel filter and water seperator are so inefficent most people would crap their pants if they knew what was getting through it, 60% at 6 microns vs 98% at 2 microns with the CAT. Im running the CAT 1r-0750 standalone and have no worries about not having the GM "Water Seperator"
X2.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Special thanks to: Mike L, Gtrippin, IdahoRob, Dmaxstore, HSP, ISSPRO, Yukon, Airdog

LIKE US ON FACEBOOK!
Adrenaline Truck Performance IDAHO ROB 208.685.1000
sickdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 08:50 AM   eBay Motors  #20 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Thats cool. I'm pretty much sold on the CAT adapter, but just one more question.... When you pull the filter off to change it, what keeps the adapter from coming off as well?
4" exhaust w/muffler, EGR delete/Sinister diesel, Kodiak LBZ mouthpiece, PCV rerouted, Nicktane/CAT adapter, Autometer pyro & boost gauges, EFI Live by Kory, Transgo, pump rub kit, LBZ intake conv, H2's, Debadged
nick1camper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.