Alligator giving bad advice about their filter adapters - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Alligator Diesel Alligator Diesel Performance

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2012, 05:45 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Alligator giving bad advice about their filter adapters

I ordered one of their fuel filter adapters and specifically called to ask them if I had to remove the check ball and spring. I was assured that I did not have to. I installed the filter and adapter and my truck ran for a few days, then would not start last night.

So in freezing temperature with a flashlight between my teeth, I got to troubleshoot the problem. After I removed the check ball and spring, it started right up and is running fine now.

Its not hard to remove the check ball and spring, but I would have rather done it in the daylight when its 65 outside, then at night when its freezing. Here's the instructions on how to remove the check ball and spring, from the guy who developed (not copied) the filter adapter in the first place.

http://nicktane.com/osc/userfiles/fi...structions.pdf

I'm seriously pissed that Alligator is telling people they don't have to take the check ball and spring out, because apparently in some instances, this is not true.

A HUGE thanks to Dane at Mad Jack (where I got the Donaldson filter from) for taking my call last night and helping me troubleshoot the problem. Alligator didn't answer the phone when I called.

MadJack Diesel Performance - MadJack Diesel Performance
06 CCSB LBZ 4x4 LT3; torsion key lift (leveled); 265/75-16 Pro Comp A/T on OEM wheels (winter), BFGoodrich Rugged Terrain 275/70-18 on XD Diesel 18x9 (summer); MBRP 4" turbo back with Corsa muffler; EGR blocked; Edge Insight CTS gauges; EFI Live DSP2 by Idaho Rob - 80HP DD and 40HP tow with turbo brake (love it!); Rancho 9000XL shocks; updated rear cab mounts; Transgo Jr.; Merchant Automotive tie rod sleeves; everything synthetic; Access Tonneau hiding Line-X; tinted windows 5% all around; Tekonsha P3 brake controller; HIR bulbs, more to come soon......
knaffie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 07:15 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Dane is heck of a guy. I ha a filter head leaking after I installed a rebuild kit. He saw my thread about deleting my factory filter head (with Nicktane installed). He saw my thread and sent me a new rebuild kit free of charge. Said he was going to stand behind his filter adapter and make sure it wasn't the cause of the leaking head. Problem fixed after new rebuild kit was installed.

Sent from my Autoguide app.
5" DE, rerouted, debadged, demolded, air dog, stock fuel

Big thanks, Duramaxtuner.com & Kory Willis @ PPEI
TakeEm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 07:26 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
Go Green!

I apologize this happened to you chris. With our design you do not have to remove
The check ball at all. We found that we had a few in this last batch that had improper tolerances in the stainless steel insert which was not fully pushing up the check ball. I spent half my cardio session at the gym last night on the phone with my machinist to get this resolved. If there is a problem with anything you guys all know how to get ahold of me. Damn near every person here should know that I half way live on Facebook as answer questions 7 days a week at all hours of the day. Buy if you are still unhappy chris I will be willing to give you a full refund and whatever else to help settle this
Old 11-20-2012, 07:29 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

I just deleted my stock fuele filter head and put a new filter head on with a cat filter. My stock one was leaking I put a merchant auto rebuild kit in mine and it started leaking after a week.
Trans from EPR
4 inch exhaust.
Raptor
Traction Bars.
510hp 1244 tq uncorrected. Stock Turbo, injectors,cp3.
13.02, Stock turbo, injectors, cp3.

2014 Chevy 2500hd CC/SB. all stock.
red1977 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 07:43 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
Wide open in neutral
Lifetime Supporting Member

I'm pissed I have to work with douchebags everyday and pay taxes so other people don't have to work. Guess you can't please everyone

"The Blessed Hellride"-08' GMC Sierra SLT CC/SB, 12,000 miles!
Engine-EFI Live, blocked, re routed, air box mod, 3" downpipe, raptor 100 lift pump, amsoil
Trans- Transgo jr. and deep pan
Exhaust- 4" MBRP straight pipe, 5" RBP tip
Suspension- leveled, PAC Brake air bags
Other- Fab fours winch bumper, large fender mod, 17x9 Fuel kranks, 35" Cooper STT's, limo tint, 100 gal. Fuel tank, tool box.
WVRigRat08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 07:56 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
Meyer Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVRigRat05 View Post
I'm pissed I have to work with douchebags everyday and pay taxes so other people don't have to work. Guess you can't please everyone
I have the same issues on a daily basis!
The life of my truck
Pics of my truck
MBRP, Diamond Eye, EFI live by Kory, FASS, S&B, Autometer, DHD, Magnaflow, ProFab, Banks, Edge, Cognito, Fuel, Nitto

Thanks to Tyler @ www.MeyerPerformance.com 812-344-4421
lutzjk913 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 08:28 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Jason is a hell of a guy and will get you taken care of. Better to talk to him first then get on here and bash alligator for giving good advice. I've had my alligator cat adapter on for probably a month or so now. Didn't remove the check ball, took off my old filter and screwed the adapter on. Its been consistently in the 20s for a couple weeks now and I've had zero problems.

LMM. Spicy Tuna. 5" exhaust. 6" lift. 35's.

ROTM September 2010

Thanks to Alligator and TPT
doops22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 08:31 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
rms
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcloud556 View Post
I apologize this happened to you chris. With our design you do not have to remove
The check ball at all. We found that we had a few in this last batch that had improper tolerances in the stainless steel insert which was not fully pushing up the check ball. I spent half my cardio session at the gym last night on the phone with my machinist to get this resolved. If there is a problem with anything you guys all know how to get ahold of me. Damn near every person here should know that I half way live on Facebook as answer questions 7 days a week at all hours of the day. Buy if you are still unhappy chris I will be willing to give you a full refund and whatever else to help settle this
Don't know why I thought that was funny . . .

Name:  tumblr_m8rdxqNKUM1r2mluc.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  22.2 KB
Brad Pitt in Burn after Reading

2007 LBZ 4x4 regular cab
S & B Intake - Diablo Predator
285/75/16 Cooper ATP's - 8' Bedslide
Amp Steps - Bilsteins - Fumoto

The Arizona Diesel Club
rms is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 08:31 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvrigrat05 View Post
i'm pissed i have to work with douchebags everyday and pay taxes so other people don't have to work. Guess you can't please everyone

amen^^^^^^^

-2006 GMC CCSB LBZ --Sold--

http://performancetruckproducts.com/

-2004 Grand Prix GTP
Stocker

-2008 Pearl White Streetglide
primetime_2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 08:44 AM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
Go Green!

What time did you call anyways? I bail every day at 4:30 ish to hit the gym. but as i stated everybody (should) know they can reach me on facebook at any time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.