Marc Deluca: Q&a Regarding Cng Injection Systems - Page 4 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Alternative Fuels - Diesel - Additives - Lubricants Discussion of diesel, its various additives, oils, lubricants and alternative fuels IE: Bio-Diesel ect...

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2009, 10:24 AM   eBay Motors  #31 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

It takes a certain amount of energy to do a job. If you currently get 20 mpg on #2 only, then your truck uses 7,000 btu/mi since #2 has 140,000 btu/gal. When you use propane or cng, you exchange some of these #2 btus for gas btus. When I get 50 mpg on #2 using the blend, I am still burning 7,000 btus/mi. But now, only 2,800 of them are coming from the #2. The remaining 4,200 are being supplied by cng. So, if a gasoline gallon equivalent of cng is 125,000 btus, then you divide 125,000/4,200 to find the cng mileage, which would be about 29 mpg. When I took a trip last year and got 65 mpg on #2, I got 16 mpg on propane at the same time. No magic act going on, just simple substitution. The savings comes from getting the gas cheaper per btu than the diesel. With propane at 91,000 btus/gal, it has to be less than 2/3 the cost of #2 just to break even. This is why propane is generally too costly nowadays to make the math work.

Regarding melting pistons. If towing, you should have an EGT gauge just as you would with a tuner delivering more #2. You don't get 35% more power without risk. If the egt gets too high, back out of the throttle.

About the lack of lubrication. Spark ignition cng engines wear valves and seats faster because of no lube. A diesel is still using enough diesel with the gas to more than adequately lube the valves and seats. The cylinder walls don't want any diesel fuel on them, because that dilutes the lubricating oil. So, everything will last longer in a gas supplemented diesel engine as long as it isn't overloaded and burned up with high cylinder temps.
'72 Impala LPG

marc@delucafuelproducts.com
marcdeluca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2009, 02:10 PM   eBay Motors  #32 (permalink)

I want to put CNG on my truck. Would it be safe to put a storage tank underneath the truck, like where a second gas tank could go. Obviously cover it with a 1/4" metal plate for extra protection.

88' Chevy K-5 Blazer
350ci/265hp block, Edlebrock Multi-Port FI, Edlebrock 1-7/8" headers, Catco cat and Flowmaster 50 series (single in dual out)
jaredXwoodsman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2009, 08:59 PM   eBay Motors  #33 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

You can do it, but you can only get 4 to 6 GGE underneath. It doesn't lend itself to small spaces.
'72 Impala LPG

Old 05-07-2009, 08:25 AM   eBay Motors  #34 (permalink)

That's what I figured. Thanks for the info!

What exactly is GGE? Is that tank size?

88' Chevy K-5 Blazer
350ci/265hp block, Edlebrock Multi-Port FI, Edlebrock 1-7/8" headers, Catco cat and Flowmaster 50 series (single in dual out)
jaredXwoodsman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2009, 08:19 PM   eBay Motors  #35 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

GGE is gasoline gallon equivalent. Is approx 125 cubic feet of natural gas. One GGE has the same amount of energy as one gal of gasoline.
'72 Impala LPG

Old 01-03-2011, 01:23 PM   eBay Motors  #36 (permalink)

Question

I'm a total NOOB with diesel and have ended up with more confusion that answers; most likely self induced. The first diesel CNG injection kit that I heard of was from Natruell with a Bully Dog controller; it was in an article in May of 2009, but they have apparently disappeared off the map. The claims purported in the article was something close to a 4 to 1 ratio and that the kit cost could be re-cooped within about 40K miles depending. All for nothing now because they disappeared. If I got it right any CNG kit is going to need to interface with a computer controlled injection system in order to work so an older diesel set up wont work. From what I can tell a full CNG conversion would be for a gasser and not a diesel. So who has a diesel CNG injection kit that isnt a conversion? I'm also interested in a home pumping station so I dont have to hunt around town. Another question is what sources do we have for tanks? I'm doing a full custom build on a 1967 Jeep Gladiator long bed and extending it into a quad cab. I should have plenty of room length-wise and will doing some mods to the frame as well to help tuck the tanks up as high as I can to limit anny hang below the frame. I would really like as much info as you can drop on me. I've fully stepped into something with no return ticket so now I gotta take the bull by the horns and ride it out. Thanks for your time in reading this and I eagerly look forward to your response(s).

tigger4x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.