Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Fuel additive

44K views 71 replies 53 participants last post by  DmaxIDThor 
#1 ·
Whats the best fuel additive for the 2006 6.6 duramax?

#37 ·
Hi!

Several said they use 2 stroke oil in the diesel, but no one says how much? :)
I'm about to run a service on my dmax lb7, with a injector clean and so on, so maby som 2 stroke oil would have been okay too... :)

Regards

#40 ·
The owners manual also says no on using A fuel additive, & so would the dealer. Fuel additives r recommended to use by users themselfs. A Fuel additive adds lubricity.
Main things to look for when picking a diesel fuel additive are, doesnt contain alcohol of any kind, safe to use with DPFs (those that have them), & isnt a Emulsifier type additive. Youll want a Demulsifier type additive.
Emulsifier type additives arent recommend to use because emulsifier type additives break the water into little droplets and prevent the droplets from joining together. The water is suspended in, and carried along with the fuel. The volume of droplets could block fuel lines or damage injectors. Demulsifiers work the opposite way.

#39 ·
Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel fuel today doesn't the amount of sulfur it used to and this is where lubrication came from. You need to add lubrication and keep your fuel system clean for optimum performance. I recommend everyone use a fuel additive all the time. I don't care for straight up 2 stroke because you are only adding lubrication and doing nothing to keep them system clean.

Opti-Lube, Stanadyne, Diesel Kleen and AMSOIL Fuel Concentrate all come highly rated in a study that was done a few yrs ago. I have tried all but Opti-Lube and have found AMSOIL Fuel Concentrate and their Cetane Booster to work best for me thus far. I just became an Opti-lube dealer so I will be trying their XPD product on my next fill up to finalize my comparison.

If I can be of further assistance, don't hesitate to ask.

#46 ·
I just became an Opti-lube dealer so I will be trying their XPD product on my next fill up to finalize my comparison.

If I can be of further assistance, don't hesitate to ask.
I'll have to order my next order from you, I just started using the XPD.

I was using the Diesel Kleen in a pinch for a month or two until I tried the XPD, and I also noticed an audible difference in the engine noise. Noticably quieter now. I also noticed between .7-2mpg difference on average, which varies based on how much highway driving I do. I primarily drive in town.

I haven't tried any others and I may not bother, I'm pretty happy with this stuff.

#43 ·
1oz of two stroke per gallon is what I mix in addition to 16oz or FPPF "Cetane 8+". Some call it the "Kennedy diesel cocktail"

I've also had great success with Amsoil's Diesel Concentrate additive.

#45 ·
I'm trying to use up a gallon of stanadyne so I can order some xdp winter blend. I want to give that stuff a shot. Fwiw, when I started running stanadyne my truck smoked less. But it started smoking more after it seemed to get used to it... fuel economy didn't change. Ran it consistently for the last 800+ miles...

#49 ·
I use 10oz of diesel kleen with cetane boost. I regularly see 1.5/2mpg increase whith what feels like more power. I'm on stock tune till my EFI live gets here....

#51 ·
I'm in what's up?

#54 ·
so since i have fuel already in my tank, and always will, should i just put the proper amount of diesel kleen in for the amount of diesel i put it, or guess at how much is in there when the pump shuts off? i will never have the proper amount if i add it based on how much i put in, is that ok? should i do this every fillup?

#56 ·
I usually let my tank get down to almost empty before I fill up and dump a whole small bottle of DK in the tank. I have a 36 gallon tank, though, so it might be too much if you have a smaller tank. Every now and then, I will top my tank off before I am empty. In these situations, I usually don't add any DK.

#55 ·
I just put in 10oz every fill up. I always run mine to red and it takes about 19-20 to fill. The stuff says 3oz to a gallon, so I'm a bit over but oh well.

#57 ·
I use 2 stroke tcw-3 1oz per gallon have no issues my Ford buddy uses it he had a leaky seal issues on his 250 around the fuel filter setup and it stopped his leak by lubing the seals.... Also I will be trying the dk and amsoil being I'm a preferred customer

Sent from my Moto 2500 Razormaxx
using my bean flickers

#58 ·
I use stanadyne. I like it better than the others I've used over the years. Little more expensive but i will spend a little more if it helps the fuel system.

#64 ·
X2 :thumb

#59 ·
4) Opti-Lube Summer Blend
Multi-purpose
Demulsifier
HFRR 447, 189 micron improvement
3000:1 ratio
1.11 oz/tank
$0.68/tank

Why do so many of you NOT use this? It outperforms all but 3 of the additives, is a demulsifier and only costs 68 cents per tank. Just because it isnt readily available in stores? Not being a smart ass just wondering if there are cons to this additive that I missed.

#62 ·
Opti-Lube Why do so many of you NOT use this? It outperforms all but 3 of the additives, is a demulsifier and only costs 68 cents per tank. Just because it isnt readily available in stores? Not being a smart ass just wondering if there are cons to this additive that I missed.
Nothing wrong with Opti Lube. Power Service, Stanadyne, Opti Lube, Am$oil, etc.. r great products but its all about a personal experience/personal opinion on which additive to use.

If you do use Opti lube use Opti lube XPD. It contains a cetane boost & is a anti gel addtitve. Opti lube summer blend doesnt contain a cetane boost.

#60 ·
That us a simple answer for me: when I found out about it I had just bought a gallon of stanadyne. I will finish that up and then Get some optilube.

#61 ·
Ive used Opti Lube winter/summer blend since i bought my truck.. never a problem with anything fuel related.

#63 ·
x2 Apache Guy This was only a lubrication study, but why not use the products that tested significantly better. Seems like a good study for the aspect it tested. If i sold something else (I am not a dealer for anything).....Well i would use it and it would be better!!

#65 ·
My idea was taking the whole package.. effectivness, price. availability... these 3 matched what i was looking for in a higher rated product. But your right ..everyone has a different veiw.. and other products wouldnt be around if people werent buying them.

#66 ·
I have been using Opti-Lube XPD since I got the truck in March of last year, very happy with it.
When I got the truck, I knew the injectors needed to be replaced. Before they were however replaced, I started to use Opti-Lube, it had an immediate effect by quietening the engine and injector noise.
Since the the new injectors were installed, every fill I do I add Opti-Lube, it has done 14K miles since then.
I buy the 5 gallon tank, it should last me for quite some time!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.