2011 Duramax and Fuel Additives - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Alternative Fuels - Diesel - Additives - Lubricants Discussion of diesel, its various additives, oils, lubricants and alternative fuels IE: Bio-Diesel ect...

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2011, 07:28 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

2011 Duramax and Fuel Additives

Hey everyone,

I see alot of people running fuel additives etc for their older duramax's but have not seen any postings on if anyone with a 2011 is running any. I asked the dealer and he said its designed to not need it but never said don't.

Anyone with the new Duramax got any thoughts?

New to diesel world so looking for advice.
chevyb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2011, 08:04 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

our company uses BG 244 at every oil change...a bit pricey, but the stuff cleaned up my 07 pretty good after a couple of bottles....

VIDEO HOW TO's

timharry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2011, 09:06 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

You dont need to use an additive, but IMO its needed.
If you do use an additive read the product label & make sure it doesnt contain alcohol & wont harm the DPF.

I notice a big difference in the trucks performance when using an additive vs not using an additive.

For my own reassurance, I use an additive on every fill up. Im not relying on the fuel stations additives.
Specially in the winter time.

2009 GMC 2500HD SLE CC/SB 4x4 LMM
EFI Live, Edge Insight CTS, EGR disabled, Flo~Pro 4" exhaust w/ muffler & stock trumpet tip, Pacer LED NBS cab lights, Putco yellow bulb fog lights, GM under tailgate dually light bar, Footwell lights, Cobra 29 WXNWST CB radio, Kenwood speakers, Tinted windows, GM chrome oval running boards, WIF sensor delete plug, Fumoto oil drain valve, Bilstein 5100 shocks, Michelin M/S2, PY0 wheels, Rubber mud flaps, Curt class IV hitch, Wilson 2000 CB antenna

2000 Silverado 1500 LS RC/LB 4x2 4.8L (Whoopty/Work Truck)

Last edited by HD Dmax Machine; 10-22-2011 at 03:28 PM.
HD Dmax Machine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2011, 09:11 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

I know the amsoil stuff says ok for DPF on it
PowerlabsTim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2011, 04:17 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

Powerservice ok for def systems per their e mail to me. I use it but my dealer told me the same thing....

Towing a 2010 Carriage Cameo 32FWS

Dave
Abbacus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2011, 06:18 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
DF Sponsors

First off living in cold country you are going to want to run something if nothing else in the winter to keep the fuel from gelling up. Many folks run additves all year round to keep their fuel system clean and lubricated. Remember, ULSD doesn't have the lubrication properties it once did. Further more, it contains the bare minimum cetane required by the govt. Our trucks run better with a higher than 45 ppm cetane, most fuel has around 40 ppm. When you increase the cetane level you are improving combustion. Improve combustion and you have faster starts, smoother idling and less exhaust because the fuel is burning more completely.

Based on that, I run AMSOIL Fuel Concentrate and their Cetane Booster in every tank. They also make a cold weather formula called Fuel Concentrate with Cold Flow. I have tried many of the popular ones that are available today (Stanadyne, FPPF, Racor, Diesel Kleen, Power Service) and I have had the best results from the AMSOIL products. The combination of these two product have improved my starts, responsiveness, idling and fuel economy. Plus I have a little peace of mind that I am doing what I can to help keep the fuel system and more importantly the injectors clean and lubricated.

If I can answer any questions about the products I mentioned above or something else from AMSOIL, please don't hesitate to ask.

Take care,
mrmanners is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2011, 02:06 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Thanks.....assume the amsoil products are safe to use in the 2011's?
Old 10-22-2011, 03:04 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
DF Sponsors

Yes AMSOIL products are safe for all diesel applications. If I can get you some information or pricing, please let me know.
mrmanners is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2011, 05:10 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Looks like it is just short of one bottle per tank of fuel (one bottle treats 40 gallons). Do you use it on every tank of diesel?
Old 10-23-2011, 05:50 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyb View Post
Looks like it is just short of one bottle per tank of fuel (one bottle treats 40 gallons). Do you use it on every tank of diesel?
Yeah.

2009 GMC 2500HD SLE CC/SB 4x4 LMM
EFI Live, Edge Insight CTS, EGR disabled, Flo~Pro 4" exhaust w/ muffler & stock trumpet tip, Pacer LED NBS cab lights, Putco yellow bulb fog lights, GM under tailgate dually light bar, Footwell lights, Cobra 29 WXNWST CB radio, Kenwood speakers, Tinted windows, GM chrome oval running boards, WIF sensor delete plug, Fumoto oil drain valve, Bilstein 5100 shocks, Michelin M/S2, PY0 wheels, Rubber mud flaps, Curt class IV hitch, Wilson 2000 CB antenna

2000 Silverado 1500 LS RC/LB 4x2 4.8L (Whoopty/Work Truck)
HD Dmax Machine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.