Gelled up - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Alternative Fuels - Diesel - Additives - Lubricants Discussion of diesel, its various additives, oils, lubricants and alternative fuels IE: Bio-Diesel ect...

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2012, 09:49 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Gelled up

This is the second time in 2 years the truck jelled up on me. This time the truck just shut off all at once one mile from home. It was 6 below zero outside. Both times I have had double doses of white bottle power service in the fuel. So power service does not stop the fuel from jellying below zero temps. I have been told to use 25% kerosene and I will not have to wonder if it will run. Is kerosene at 25% safe?
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2012, 03:41 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

I know a lot of folks who use the Schaeffer's Diesel Treat 2000 Winter Blend without any gelling products in colder temps than you mentioned. You should try it.
John Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2012, 03:44 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
JUST TROLLING AROUND
Lifetime Supporting Member

i live in NH i use howes and have never gelled up. both in my dmax and my peterbilt
Old 01-27-2012, 05:42 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Did you have any bio in the fuel? If its available use Diesel #1. Iv used double dose of power service white bottle in -34F & my fuel never gelled.

2009 LMM GMC 2500 HD SLE CC/SB 4x4
EFI Live, Edge Insight CTS, EGR disabled, Flo~Pro 4" exhaust w/muffler & stock trumpet tip, Pacer LED NBS cab lights, Putco yellow bulb fog lights, GM dually rear light bar, Cobra 29 WXNWST CB radio, Footwell lights, Kenwood speakers, Tinted windows, GM chrome oval running boards, Fumoto oil drain valve, Bilstein 5100 shocks, Michelin M/S2, PY0 wheels, Rubber mud flaps, Curt class IV hitch, Wilson 2000 CB antenna

2000 Silverado 1500 LS RC/LB 4x2 stock. (Whoopty/Work Truck)

Last edited by HD Dmax Machine; 01-27-2012 at 10:01 PM.
HD Dmax Machine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2012, 07:17 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

Yeah i was wondering if you were using the right power service. There is two different kinds.

Old truck 03 1500hd w4me tune, aem cai, 951 moto metal, 285/16 duratracs, bw and companion
zr600 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2012, 07:22 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

You sure you gelled up?

Your fuel filter can also swell up with water and freeze choking off fuel delivery. Happened to me last winter, nicktane and Cat filter solved that problem.

Where you get your fuel also plays a big role.

MBRP DP MBRP SS 5" TB Exhaust Edge Insight CTS EGR Blocker EFI LIVE V2 DSP 5 Fumoto Fuel Filter Access Door Aluminum Bleeder Nicktane OEM Adapter Firestone Air Bags Toyo OC ATII 285/70/17 Chrome Boulder H2 Line X Weather Tech's, PCV Re-Route, DDM 6k HID Lows & Fogs.
bluefx4flare is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2012, 08:27 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

I get my fuel at a hess station in johnstown ny. I am using the white bottle of power service sense october. The tank or the line under truck was jelled. I also have a uncle 20 miles away that jelled with the same fuel and single dose of white bottle. His went into limp and he made it home. No more fuel from that station and my nieghbor towed me home with his 2012 duramax with nothing in his fuel. He got his fuel from a mobil.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:48 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

Fuel that is not treated properly by the supplier and at those temps needs the entire bottle of White PS to be effective. But how are you supposed know how it was treated, it's a crap-shoot.

Lesson learned, stop buying fuel there and carry a fuel filter with you with tools to change it out and a bottle of Power Service 911. Would have saved you the tow.

Like I said earlier I use Cat filters now and have a fuel filter access door in the wheel liner. I never want to go through that again. -35C with the wife and 2 year old stranded out in the middle of nowhere and no heat.

Funny how Mobil diesel untreated was OK, Mobil up in Canada is Esso and that's the fuel I got screwed with.

MBRP DP MBRP SS 5" TB Exhaust Edge Insight CTS EGR Blocker EFI LIVE V2 DSP 5 Fumoto Fuel Filter Access Door Aluminum Bleeder Nicktane OEM Adapter Firestone Air Bags Toyo OC ATII 285/70/17 Chrome Boulder H2 Line X Weather Tech's, PCV Re-Route, DDM 6k HID Lows & Fogs.

Last edited by bluefx4flare; 01-28-2012 at 08:52 AM.
bluefx4flare is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2012, 09:37 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

we are running arctic diesel or diesel #1--same as kerosene or stove oil. our pickups are down on power but will start at -45c with a little struggle... the operators of the big cats find a difference in power more so than the haul truck drivers..

2013 LML CC
additions to come soon....
djmercer1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2012, 09:54 AM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

I almost forgot, I added 2 bottles of 911 to the tank and let it sit for 1 hour and still nothing. No fuel was coming out of the bleeder on the stock filter.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.