07 Duramax: Biodiesel - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Alternative Fuels - Diesel - Additives - Lubricants Discussion of diesel, its various additives, oils, lubricants and alternative fuels IE: Bio-Diesel ect...

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2007, 10:53 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

07 Duramax: Biodiesel

I'm a bit confused. Someone on this forum claimed that the new 07 Duramax's are not compatible with biodiesel.....but on the Chevy website they describe they new 07 Duramax as being biodiesel compatible. What's the real story?

Secondly, how does biodiesel compare to ULSD in terms of particulates and overall environmental impact?
SKITE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2007, 01:26 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

I was just about to post the same type of thing. Does anyone know what % of Bio you can run in the LBZ, if any?
Old 04-03-2007, 06:20 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

I have heard you can use 5% bio and 95% diesel at the moment with no warranty issues or any known problems. It all depends on where you live, but if you live in colder climates they don't recommend anything higher because the biodiesel will gel up and cause alot of problems. If it is a higher percentage you will have a lot of maintenance issues as well because the biodiesel actually breaks down the deposits that were left from the regular diesel...
Only what I have heard... Don't shoot the messenger!
wayne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2007, 08:27 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

GM says no more than 5% bio beginning 2004. The new S15 (ULSD) uses bio for an additive to replace the natural lubricants lost in the refining process. The new Duramax engine is built with viton seals that withstand bio. My 2002 was not, the left bank fuel rail has already required rebuilding to replace the copper seals which began leaking fuel into the crankcase. Cost-$760, now I'm waiting on the right bank to begin leaking. My source is:http://http://www.biodieselnow.com/b...l/default.aspx

Last edited by Ray,IN; 04-07-2007 at 09:05 AM.
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2007, 06:48 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

I run Bio in my 2006 all the time. I personally haven't gone higher than B50, but work with a guy to runs B99 almost exclusively. According to the BioDiesel web stuff there is no problem. I have not heard of any issues running Bio. Matter of fact, with the low sulfer diesel struggling to keep lubricity in the fuel, the bio does not have that problem. http://www.biodiesel.org/news/bulletin/

Wheat- '06 2500HD LBZ CC 4x4
Wheat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2007, 05:16 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

wheat, does the biodiesel website offer to assume your GM warranty too? How do they know GM is wrong when they limit the bio-diesel 5%? If the bio-diesel organization can prove GM wrong, or assume their Duramax warranty, I'd like to use the stuff.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:37 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

Interesting topic. Don't know whos right. I know the performance guys run bio for added lubrication. I know guys that run additives that range from high end stuff like ames oil prodcuts to marvel mystery oil, I know one guy who puts a few ounces of 2 cycle oil in every tank for lubrication actualy that kind of makes sense to me. The injector pump went out on my john deere. The guy at the shop ask me if I run bio diesel in it, which I currently do not. He indicated that they are seeing a higher number in injector pump failures with biodiesel do to less lubrication. He seems to thnk it is because of water in the fuel or gelling of the fuel reduces the lubrication properties of the fuel. Don't know which way to go on the bio stuff?
6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2007, 05:55 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

Biodiesel

By 2012 all diesel in the US and Canada will be B5.
efranz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2007, 07:19 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

so, I am am confused! Is my LLY biodiesel compatable or not?
Old 12-25-2007, 07:20 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Also, Should I be using additives in my regular fuel?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.