Seafoam - the good, bad and ugly. - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Alternative Fuels - Diesel - Additives - Lubricants Discussion of diesel, its various additives, oils, lubricants and alternative fuels IE: Bio-Diesel ect...

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2012, 01:12 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Seafoam - the good, bad and ugly.

i have been reading online about Seafoam as a fuel stabilizer. It looks like it may be a decent alternative to Stabil, without so many of the side effects.

How does it perform with regard to lubrication, fuel stabilization, algae prevention, etc?

Any thoughts and opinions are welcome.
username taken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2012, 01:49 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
I'm That Guy...

It's mostly made of diesel from what I understand.

Don't introduce to intake system direct, only through fuel.

CLICK TO READ: FORUM RULES OR DF STAFF!

Thank you Rob Coddens (Idaho Rob), Dustin @ ATP, Scott @ SDP, Kory Willis, and Mike L. for all of your help!

05 LLY CCSB 4wd - Mods coming (Truck Love from ATP Trucks and Copperhead Diesel expected soon)
SOLD: 05 LLY, 05 LLY, 09 LMM, 02 LB7

Build Threads : 2005 Chevy Silverado | 1978 Ford Bronco (Sister Site)
TDFDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2012, 03:01 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
Banned

Generally diesel does not need to be "stabilized" be stored for less than a year, you may need to add an alga side to keep biological growth down, in some applications, but diesel does not phase separate like gasoline does. If you want to put an additives package try Diesel Power Service, it is inexpensive and effective and available at Walmart...
smokinlmm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2012, 03:17 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

When using Seafoam as a stabilizer it will do exactly that, keep things stabilized. When using Stabil- it only forms a light film on the top of the fuel that can break very easily if the fuel is disturbed (moved/sloshed around) and thus the stability is no longer there. not so when using Seafoam. I've also used Seafoam for Diesels in my truck- no problems with it whatsoever, and it does help with lubricity a bit.

2008 GMC 2500 D-Max Crew Cab Long Bed Z71 100% Stock
Real trucks don't need stacks
RyanZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2012, 04:53 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

How about with the gassers? I was thinking of using some in my toys to keep the fuel fresh and injectors clean.

Stabil makes em run like crap if there's a touch too much in the fuel - almost as bad as bad gas.
username taken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2012, 05:06 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

I use it often in my 94 cadillac, seems to keep things running smoother.

When I first got an 85 dodge d50 with a mitsi diesel engine, it had been sitting for a few years. dumped out the fuel filter and filled with seafoam. Smoke was black as can be at first, but sure smoothed out the idle and ran stronger.

Seafoam is about the only thing I trust as far as the 'tune up in a can' things go. Just basically had good experience with it.
bb_max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2012, 06:13 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
I'm That Guy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by username taken View Post
How about with the gassers? I was thinking of using some in my toys to keep the fuel fresh and injectors clean.

Stabil makes em run like crap if there's a touch too much in the fuel - almost as bad as bad gas.
My cousin ran it in his Ford v8 and after it was cleaned out it ran great.

CLICK TO READ: FORUM RULES OR DF STAFF!

Thank you Rob Coddens (Idaho Rob), Dustin @ ATP, Scott @ SDP, Kory Willis, and Mike L. for all of your help!

05 LLY CCSB 4wd - Mods coming (Truck Love from ATP Trucks and Copperhead Diesel expected soon)
SOLD: 05 LLY, 05 LLY, 09 LMM, 02 LB7

Build Threads : 2005 Chevy Silverado | 1978 Ford Bronco (Sister Site)
TDFDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2012, 06:13 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Note to remember-- Some have learned this the hard way---$$$$

Do NOT inject Seafoam, or anything else in the intake of any diesel. The diesel engine has no throttle, so the engine will "Run Away", and will continue to increase engine speed until the engine blows, or it runs out of the product you have put in the intake. Turning off the key does nothing, as there is no spark used.

Adding it to the fuel filter or fuel tank, is OK
Chevy 04.5 LLY, 2X, shell, XDR, MikeL Heavy duty up-grade, 6spd, TransGo, deep pan, de-badged, 65 Gallon replacement Aero tank, LBZ-mp, Kennedy pump, shimmed, Pre-fuel filter, tow mirrors, BU cam, gauges, GPS, Sirius, bags, custom grille, fender vents, HD trans cooler- Curt front hitch, footwell lights, load lights, Studs, head gaskets.--- Jerry
jc1843 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2012, 06:19 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporting Member

I've used it in all my gas toys for years. Works great. Even cleaned a gummed up boat fuel tank, and clans the carbs in some cases.

To Be Installed:EGRblock,ADII 165

Thanks to: http://www.syntheticmotorsports.com/
brandon.prewitt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2012, 06:22 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

I ran seafoam in my truck and in my wife nissan murano. And ran good in the murano but it didn't seem to last to long in my truck. Just get a diesel additive it ll save you in the long run.
2006 2500 HD SLT ECLB, LBZ, LED tailights, black turn signals , black aftermarket headlights,265/75/16s uniroyal larados,Bilstein shocks,Banks 4inch exhaust, Cat adp and 2 micron cat filter , amsoil oil, pcv Re-route from alligator performance,And S&B air intake good to be driving a diesel again.

2002 Chevy silverado 2500 HD, LB7, traded it on a gasser and then traded it in for LBZ.
bigjohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.