Amsoil! - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Alternative Fuels - Diesel - Additives - Lubricants Discussion of diesel, its various additives, oils, lubricants and alternative fuels IE: Bio-Diesel ect...

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2012, 10:51 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Question Amsoil!

Long story short, my trucks is due for its first Oil Changes this weekend "For Me, 2nd owner", my plan is to switch over to amsoil, my intent is to use a bypass kit in the spring of 13, but for now just switching to a synthetic will have to do.
my question are...
what oil additive shall i use ( if any)?
are the worth the extra $$?
if so who makes the best quality additive?
best filter?
I also plan on doing the Allison spin on as well, and recommendations for that filter?

its a 2006 LBZ with currently 42000 on it.
Fj.jake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2012, 11:08 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
GMC..Professional Grade
Lifetime Supporting Member

I personally will not use oil additives, amsoil a good choice....no expert on trans filter
H&S minimaxx, MBRP downpipe back SS duals, Insight CTS w/backup cam, Fass HD150, PPE rear diff cover, Amsoil front-rear w/bypass, Cognito 4-6 NTBD w/idler/pitman braces, a-arms, Recon smoked cab lights
Titan 57 gal saddle tank, linex color matched bedliner , Trekstep bed steps x2, RBP rail steps, Nitto Mud Grapplers, B&W Gooseneck

---Arizona Diesel Club---
Member #19
it's not just a hobbie, it's an Adventure
KensAuto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 12:27 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Amsoil is the best. Suggest using XL. I have been using it for 12 years in all my engines. Learned how good it was when a tech left my wifes oil fill cap off her Toyota 4 banger and found out after a 1600 mile trip with no engine damage.
I do not use additives, no need. Change about 10,000 miles, not 25,000 in a duramax until you get the bypass system.
I became a dealer also due to how good it is, but not looking for business on this forum.
You won't go wrong.
chipf2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 12:42 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Get with Mrmanners for all your AMSOIL questions and products. He pretty much has every answer to every question and excellent prices
08' LMM CC SB SLE Z-71 4x4| Tekonsha P3| B&W Turnover| Tow Mirrors| POR 15| EDGE Insight CTS| AMSOIL| Diamond EYE 3" DP/ 4" DE QT Exhaust w/ muffler| PCV Reroute| Batmowheel| EGR Delete| LB7 Uppipe| EFI Live| LED Reverse/Cargo light| RetroSolutions 5k HID's| FX-R 3.0 Retrofit| Billet Valve Plugs| PCV & Resonator Plugs| Bills Custom Intake

Future Mods: 52 gal Titan Tank| FASS 150|Reverse camera| Audio Overhaul|Sound dampening kit| Weather Tech| Denali Grill| LML Denali bumper| LML Manifold| LML Step rails| Hood Vent| EGT Probe| Corsa Muffler| Tie Rods/ Sleeves.....
StealthBoogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 01:13 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
GMC..Professional Grade

^^^Nice guy (mrmanners)
H&S minimaxx, MBRP downpipe back SS duals, Insight CTS w/backup cam, Fass HD150, PPE rear diff cover, Amsoil front-rear w/bypass, Cognito 4-6 NTBD w/idler/pitman braces, a-arms, Recon smoked cab lights
Titan 57 gal saddle tank, linex color matched bedliner , Trekstep bed steps x2, RBP rail steps, Nitto Mud Grapplers, B&W Gooseneck

---Arizona Diesel Club---
Member #19
it's not just a hobbie, it's an Adventure
KensAuto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 02:03 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

No need for an oil additive.
Get an AC Delco oil filter, & Allison brand trans spin on filter.

2009 LMM GMC 2500 HD SLE CC/SB 4x4
EFI Live, Edge Insight CTS, EGR disabled, Flo~Pro 4" exhaust w/muffler & stock trumpet tip, Pacer LED NBS cab lights, Putco yellow bulb fog lights, GM dually rear light bar, Cobra 29 WXNWST CB radio, Footwell lights, Kenwood speakers, Tinted windows, GM chrome oval running boards, Fumoto oil drain valve, Bilstein 5100 shocks, Michelin M/S2, PY0 wheels, Rubber mud flaps, Curt class IV hitch, Wilson 2000 CB antenna

2000 Silverado 1500 LS RC/LB 4x2 stock. (Whoopty/Work Truck)
HD Dmax Machine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 04:29 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Amsoil is great product. Now using Ea filter amsoil so far so good.
2006 2500 HD SLT ECLB, LBZ, LED tailights, black turn signals , black aftermarket headlights,265/75/16s uniroyal larados,Bilstein shocks,Banks 4inch exhaust, Cat adp and 2 micron cat filter , amsoil oil, pcv Re-route from alligator performance,And S&B air intake good to be driving a diesel again.

2002 Chevy silverado 2500 HD, LB7, traded it on a gasser and then traded it in for LBZ.
bigjohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2012, 02:11 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
DF Sponsors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fj.jake View Post
Long story short, my trucks is due for its first Oil Changes this weekend "For Me, 2nd owner", my plan is to switch over to amsoil, my intent is to use a bypass kit in the spring of 13, but for now just switching to a synthetic will have to do.
my question are...
what oil additive shall i use ( if any)?
are the worth the extra $$?
if so who makes the best quality additive?
best filter?
I also plan on doing the Allison spin on as well, and recommendations for that filter?

its a 2006 LBZ with currently 42000 on it.
For your 06 LBZ you will want to use 15W-40 Diesel and Marine oil from AMSOIL and their EaO52 oil filter. The oil is a full synthetic heavily fortified and designed for the older diesel engines requiring 40 weight. This is also an extended drain oil.

If you are not interested in an extended drain you should consider AMSOIL OE 15W-40 Diesel oil. This is a full synthetic AMSOIL came out with in 2011 for individuals looking for a high quality synthetic but not interested in extended drains.

The EaO oil filters are some of the best on the market offering filtration of over 98% of all physical contaminants down to 20 microns plus 2x the capacity of an OEM filter. Combine this with the oil above and your drain interval is up to 3xOEM (about 22.5k miles) or 1 year, whichever comes first. Guaranteed by AMSOIL. When you consider you are running 1 oil change over the life of 3 conventional oil changes you are saving money and I can help you with the pricing you see on the AMSOIL site, saving you an additional 25-35% off that.

No oil additives are required or recommended. The only thing I would consider it flushing your motor with AMSOIL Engine and Transmission Flush to clean up and sludge, vapor, varnish, old oil left behind from previous oil changes.

As far as filters go I offer filter packs from both WIX and Allison. If I can answer any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipf2 View Post
Amsoil is the best. Suggest using XL. I have been using it for 12 years in all my engines. Learned how good it was when a tech left my wifes oil fill cap off her Toyota 4 banger and found out after a 1600 mile trip with no engine damage.
I do not use additives, no need. Change about 10,000 miles, not 25,000 in a duramax until you get the bypass system.
I became a dealer also due to how good it is, but not looking for business on this forum.
You won't go wrong.
Drain intervals for XL are 10k miles or 6 months with any filter.

I would not recommend XL oil in a diesel engine as it is not formulated for use in diesels.

I run 15w-40 Diesel and Marine in both my LBZ for 1 year. I average about 20-25k miles on a single oil change with no problem at all. In fact to prove that the oil was still good for continued use, I did two oil analysis over the a yr time frame and ended up putting 28k miles on a single oil change. I could have continued to run the oil but I chose to change it out.

If I can answer any more questions about AMSOIL products or help with pricing, please PM me or call 888-563-5143.
mrmanners is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2012, 06:08 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Cant go wrong with willie or amsoil. Been running it in my lml for almost 20k miles. No problems. I'm running the bypass kit. I recently switched everything over to amsoil. Running it in my transmission, transfer case, and soon to be in the rear differential.

Im running both my lgh duramax one tons on amsoil. My big haul truck is running full amsoil - motor, tranny, rear ends, and my dump truck as well.

Very good stuff.

Just a bunch of random items....

My Build Thread
Armalite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2012, 03:14 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Willie, how good the Premium API CJ-4 5w40 oil? I believe this oil came out a couple of months ago.
2006 Chevy Silverado ..LBZ..mbrp 5" turbo exhaust (no muffler or cats) modified stock air intake, EFI by Kory Willis, Big Dipper stage IV trans, Precision ML, Pump rub fix, Alligator trans lines, Autometer guages, Airdog II-165, Ready Lift leveling kit, 285/75 Nitto Dune Grappler, Bilstein shocks, Cognito idler and pitman arm braces, PPE tie rod sleeves, fingerstick, blocker plate, pvc reroute,air intake regulator blocked, Banks boost tube, All Amsoil fluids.
tmm403 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.