2002 Chevy Duramax Front and Rear Diff. fluid - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Alternative Fuels - Diesel - Additives - Lubricants Discussion of diesel, its various additives, oils, lubricants and alternative fuels IE: Bio-Diesel ect...

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 07:19 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

2002 Chevy Duramax Front and Rear Diff. fluid

I need to change my front and rear differential fluid but I am unsure on how much fluid to use and what the correct way to go about it. I am certain I could figure it out but I donít want to risk screwing anything up. I talked to a high performance diesel mechanic and he recommended Schafers synthetic 80/140 Is this a good choice? Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
ProFlow Airhorn
5" FlowPro Exhaust
Mickey Thompson 285/70/17
Diesel Pete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 08:49 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporting Member

Yes Pete, Schaeffers is about the best fluid you can buy. Your diffs are very easy to service. Both have a drain plug and a fill plug.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:24 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

Thanks, how much fluid do I need to purchase for the front and rear and what weight is recommended.
ProFlow Airhorn
5" FlowPro Exhaust
Mickey Thompson 285/70/17
Diesel Pete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 01:40 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

So the recommended weight is 75-90 and you will need 6 to 7 quarts to do both differentials. You will wont to get yourself the little pump that goes into a 1 quart bottle to pump it into the fill hole on the diffs.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:00 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

Redline Shockproof...
20x9 AR Fuel wheels with Nitto Rubber, PPE Sleeves, Fox 2.0's, Cognito Supports, Cold Air, 4" MBRP down pipe back, blocker plate, ADII 165, race plug, pcv re-route, resonator delete plug, Whelen Strobe Kit, limo tint.

FLDMAXMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 10:40 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
Discount Diesel Parts

Diesel Pete...The answer to your question is the front diff will take just short of 2 qts 75W-90 and nothing else. The rear will take just short of 4 qts so you will have to buy 6 qts total of your fluid to service a 4wd and that takes into account that you have a stock rear diff cover.

Now the manual says use 75W-90 you may use 75W-140 as recommended by your guy but remember that the thicker the fluid the longer it takes to warm up in cold weather. It will also reduce fuel mileage slightly if you care about that. If you want to go inbetween that Amsoil makes a 75W-110 Severe Gear for a lighter weight oil than 140 but more protection than 90. I suggest you buy the hand pump to make the job easier and cleaner.

If you decide to use Amsoil Severe Gear warrantied for 100k miles please call me toll free 855-MAD-JACK and we will get you set up with what you need. We stock all 3 weights of Severe Gear 75w-90, 110,140 ready to ship.
Amsoil Distributor #1466322
Exhaust Systems, Down Pipes, CAI, EFI Live
Authorized Nicktane Dealer, Filters
EZ Oil Drain Valves, Fuel Filter Access Doors
Your Satisfaction is Our Satisfaction!

Last edited by Dirtbikindad393; 11-15-2012 at 10:51 PM.
Dirtbikindad393 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 02:37 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Amsoil is a great oil I have it in front and rear differential .
2006 2500 HD SLT ECLB, LBZ, LED tailights, black turn signals , black aftermarket headlights,265/75/16s uniroyal larados,Bilstein shocks,Banks 4inch exhaust, Nicktane Cat adp and 2 micron cat filter , amsoil oil, pcv Re-route from alligator performance,And S&B air intake good to be driving a diesel again.

2002 Chevy silverado 2500 HD, LB7, traded it on a gasser and then traded it in for LBZ.
bigjohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 12:33 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
Duramax Forum Supporter
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbikindad393 View Post
Diesel Pete...The answer to your question is the front diff will take just short of 2 qts 75W-90 and nothing else. The rear will take just short of 4 qts so you will have to buy 6 qts total of your fluid to service a 4wd and that takes into account that you have a stock rear diff cover.

Now the manual says use 75W-90 you may use 75W-140 as recommended by your guy but remember that the thicker the fluid the longer it takes to warm up in cold weather. It will also reduce fuel mileage slightly if you care about that. If you want to go inbetween that Amsoil makes a 75W-110 Severe Gear for a lighter weight oil than 140 but more protection than 90. I suggest you buy the hand pump to make the job easier and cleaner.

If you decide to use Amsoil Severe Gear warrantied for 100k miles please call me toll free 855-MAD-JACK and we will get you set up with what you need. We stock all 3 weights of Severe Gear 75w-90, 110,140 ready to ship.
Would this be the same for my 2008 LMM??

2008 LMM 2500 4X4 LWB
--All stock

Fightin Texas Aggie

US Navy Veteran.

USS J.F Kennedy enroute to dock in Manhattan for fleet week. (Either '92 or '93)
gigem2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 10:26 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
Discount Diesel Parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigem2012 View Post
Would this be the same for my 2008 LMM??
Yes it would!
Amsoil Distributor #1466322
Exhaust Systems, Down Pipes, CAI, EFI Live
Authorized Nicktane Dealer, Filters
EZ Oil Drain Valves, Fuel Filter Access Doors
Your Satisfaction is Our Satisfaction!
Dirtbikindad393 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 04:26 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
Jedi Master Level Redneck

Pardon the hijack but with regards to synthetic in LSDs, is there anything to be concerned about? I've been a big Amzoil fan for a while now. I did have a complete bearing failure on the rear gear carrier in my gas 2001 CCSB 4WD with 100k on it while using Amzoil, but I'm not sure I'm ready to blame Amzoil given some of GMs bearing quality.

What about friction modifiers? Do you need them with synthetic, with the plates slip more with synthetic?

RedNeck Dually Build Thread
Dually Club Member #191
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERWATCH_09 View Post
The perfect storm of incompetence....Nothing more dangerous than a redneck with money.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose2448 View Post
It's really complicated sounding, but it's easier than giving a fat girl a bucket of ice cream.
TexasRedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.