Home heating oil - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Alternative Fuels - Diesel - Additives - Lubricants Discussion of diesel, its various additives, oils, lubricants and alternative fuels IE: Bio-Diesel ect...

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 05:13 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Home heating oil

This may be beat to death so please correct me or point me in the right direction if you can... But are there risks associated with running heating oil as alternative fuel? Where I'm from people often do this to skate around high diesel costs in dump trucks/commercial diesels. Will this be detrimental to my LLY? Thought about getting an aux tank and filling it to run as alternative on long trips. Thanks. maybe I'm
Big Dipper 1058
Edge Insight CTS
Air Dog II 165 GPH
PCV, EGR, PPE Ported
Blade Runner MP, 5" MBRP, AFE CAI
KentCountyCoal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 05:53 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

Best to be careful doing something like that, the home heating oil they put in my tank here in NY is red dyed, I'm sure you get caught running that in your truck there are prolly pretty hefty fines associated.
EFI Live, Edge CTS Insight DSP 5 control, S&B CAI, PPE boost valve, Pro Fab AIH, AirDog II 165, Mike L trans, ML-G converter, Allison deep pan, Mike L HD trans cooler, Nicktane w/CAT filter, 5" stainless exhaust, Cognito braces & HD tie rods, H2's, 305/70-17 Nitto Terra Grapplers
1978steven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 07:05 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

yeah same in my home state... they're cracking down on the commercial use. Thought i might be sly about it at least for the winter and use the aux tank to mask it. i know the exhaust can be tested to check for it.. but my truck wont pass emissions either way. so i dont know... i just dont want to damage anything. from what i understand its essentially the same thing, maybe a different cetaine rating? idk...
Big Dipper 1058
Edge Insight CTS
Air Dog II 165 GPH
PCV, EGR, PPE Ported
Old 01-23-2013, 07:08 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
Wide open in neutral
Lifetime Supporting Member

It wont hurt it. Make sure its clean. other than that, the DOT.

"The Blessed Hellride"-08' GMC Sierra SLT CC/SB, 12,000 miles!
Engine-EFI Live, blocked, re routed, air box mod, 3" downpipe, raptor 100 lift pump, amsoil
Trans- Transgo jr. and deep pan
Exhaust- 4" MBRP straight pipe, 5" RBP tip
Suspension- leveled, PAC Brake air bags
Other- Fab fours winch bumper, large fender mod, 17x9 Fuel kranks, 35" Cooper STT's, limo tint, 100 gal. Fuel tank, tool box.
WVRigRat08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 07:14 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVRigRat05 View Post
It wont hurt it. Make sure its clean. other than that, the DOT.
lol its funny you mention it cause my dad is a trooper and enforces this law, but still gave me the idea... go figure. even the people enforcing it know its a bull*&^ law to keep diesel prices ^

we agree with you
Big Dipper 1058
Edge Insight CTS
Air Dog II 165 GPH
PCV, EGR, PPE Ported
Old 01-23-2013, 07:28 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

its the exact same fuel just with red dye in it. I put some in my pickup once in a while from our farm tank, just keep it clear when pulling a trailer cuz that's when they dip you!
07durty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 08:26 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

Once you quit using the dyed fuel, How many tanks of fuel you'll need to run through your truck before they can't detect it anymore?

I understand that a visual test isn't the only way they detect it, but also through some sort of chemical means to detect the dye....
DSB'd: 2000 F250 Powerstroke ExtendedCab Shorty 4x4.
jblather is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 08:34 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

Huge fines for using heating oil in CT and they take the plates off of your truck until you fix the issue. Also one of the companies that i worked for ran heating oil one winter, it ran a lot dirtier and tended to gell up faster in the winter than pump diesel.
Banks Dual Exhaust
Diablo Sport Trinity Tuner
Jacked_GMC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 04:36 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacked_GMC View Post
Huge fines for using heating oil in CT and they take the plates off of your truck until you fix the issue. Also one of the companies that i worked for ran heating oil one winter, it ran a lot dirtier and tended to gell up faster in the winter than pump diesel.
It gelling up faster doesn't make any sense because "heating oil" is supposed to be straight #1 diesel.
07durty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 05:41 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

Heating oil is very different than On-road diesel fuel. It can have up to 2000 parts/million sulfur content. Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel can have a max of 15ppm. The warnings you see about newer than 2007 trucks requiring 15ppm ULSD started showing up in 2006 when the EPA required a switch from the the standard of 500ppm diesel. So if you run heating oil in a new truck you could be running 133x more sulphur than the manufacture suggests. In 2012 New York State switched to Ultra Low Sulphur Heating Oil and other states will follow, but another concern is that Heating Oil does not have a minimum Cetane requirement (Centane is the diesel equivalent of Octane) so your performance could suffer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07durty View Post
It gelling up faster doesn't make any sense because "heating oil" is supposed to be straight #1 diesel.
Heating Oil is #2 Diesel. In winter diesel is blended with Kerosene which has a lower freezing point to prevent gelling. Heating oil is not.

So more than a few reasons to not use it.
spl642 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.