Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum

Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum (http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/)
-   Alternative Fuels - Diesel - Additives - Lubricants (http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/alternative-fuels-diesel-additives-lubricants/)
-   -   Gas to de-gel? (http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/alternative-fuels-diesel-additives-lubricants/304178-gas-de-gel.html)

Dmaxster 12-07-2013 09:32 AM

Gas to de-gel?

Just had a guy at work tell me the only way to de-gel diesel is to add gas! Wft, anyone care to shed some light on this?

Story behind it is our grocery store has a fuel station and the delivery guy was trying to fill our tanks and some pretty syrupy fuel came out.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Thebiggids 12-07-2013 09:33 AM

I'd use additive.

Gas, NO WAY

chevor 12-07-2013 09:39 AM

Im sure its all similar, but I stick to additive.
If you want to go cheap i think Kerosene would be a better choice than gas. But with these new emissions systems additive is the safest route to go.

AJ 72 12-07-2013 10:12 AM

I wouldn't put gas/diesel mix in your Duramax. Unless you want to be replacing injectors.... Use additive.

MudDoc 12-07-2013 10:32 AM

gas doesn't like pressures in excess of 4k psi.... the minimum rail pressure needed to fire off injectors in a Dmax. I would use additive, gas may work in an old mecha injection engine but stay away from it in a Dura

JOKER 12-07-2013 10:33 AM

It works in a pinch.

Small, crappy fuel stations most certainly do this when crossing over between fuels. No mystery there.

campingguy 12-07-2013 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dmaxster (Post 3878282)
Just had a guy at work tell me the only way to de-gel diesel is to add gas! Wft, anyone care to shed some light on this?

Story behind it is our grocery store has a fuel station and the delivery guy was trying to fill our tanks and some pretty syrupy fuel came out.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Absolutely not! I worked the fuel room in our shop for a couple of years and got lots of overtime every time this rumor started up again. 1 gallon Kerosene to 10 or 20 of diesel (1/10 below -20, 1/20 down to -20 is the general rule of thumb). Better yet, stop at any truck stop and get a bottle of diesel winterizer. It almost always is all you need.

Don't buy a used diesel from the guy that told you that...

FarmerJon 12-07-2013 11:25 AM

Had to put gas in the big rig a time or two when the truck stop was out of Howes and power service. I was in northern Minn -50 wind chill. The interstate was like a parking lot with jelled up rigs.

campingguy 12-07-2013 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FarmerJon (Post 3879082)
Had to put gas in the big rig a time or two when the truck stop was out of Howes and power service. I was in northern Minn -50 wind chill. The interstate was like a parking lot with jelled up rigs.

Must have been a Cummins with the PT fuel injection system? They were the only commercial ones that would begin to tolerate it. If I had a dollar for every truck I had to get going because the drivers never drained the water out of their tanks and filters, too...

FarmerJon 12-07-2013 05:58 PM

it was a 1985 Peterbuilt with a cummins and over a million miles. An old Werner truck. This was in the mid 90s. I called the boss told him the situation and he told me how much to use. I dont remember the ratio. I believe it was 1 gallon of gas to 20 gallons of diesel. Dont put in in with the truck running and get a stick and stir up the tank best I could. I would not do that with a vehicle that wasn't already a falling apart POS.