Recommended - Transfer Case Fluid Change to 5W-30 synthetic motor - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Alternative Fuels - Diesel - Additives - Lubricants Discussion of diesel, its various additives, oils, lubricants and alternative fuels IE: Bio-Diesel ect...

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2008, 10:27 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Recommended - Transfer Case Fluid Change to 5W-30 synthetic motor

I just emptied my transfer case for the first time at 82,000 miles :blowup

The emptied original OEM fluid (measured at 1.75 quarts) looked and smelled good with no particles. There should have been 2 quarts of used fluid emptied.

Our transfer cases were manufactured by New Venture and it appears that over time the OEM fluid or Dexron III will evaporate and this causes premature wear.

I rarely used my 4 wheel drive and most of my 82,000 miles was used for highway towing. That probably equated to less abuse of the transfer case and its fluid.

Instead of using Dexron III or Transynd, I'll be replacing the fluid with three quarts of Amsoil 5W-30.

Here is the article why it might be a good idea to use 5W-30 synthetic motor oil for our transfer case fluid. The article was written by Mike Weinberg, President of Rockland Standard Gear
Article

The article is found as a PDF file....... Click Doc. # - 0307 New Venture 261 and 263 (1090k)

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3/...tled-1copy.jpg

Last edited by 56Nomad; 01-22-2008 at 10:41 PM.
56Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2008, 07:07 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

thats a pretty good read. i am going to look into that further for sure.

20x9 Black KMC Hoss's w/ nitto terragraplers, the loudest air horn you can find@200psi, 5000K HID low beams and fog lights

89lx mustang way too fast.
461cid lsx 1 kit=4.80's:tease
05duramonster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2008, 04:49 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

ATF is a hydraulic fluid, and the stock conventional stuff is subject to evaporation. This is called the Volatility Rate on tests. Basically, the lighter portions of the oil boil off. Same is true of motor oils. Even though you rarely use 4wd, you still rotate the t case and still build heat in it. This is a perfect example of why you must do your regular maintenance and use the best lubes available!
Diesel Nut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2008, 11:35 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

Amsoil, I use the Series 3000 5W-30 Heavey duty Diesel in my motor, is that the same Amsoil I should use the transfer case OR the Amsoil 100% synthetic 5W-30?
Old 12-05-2008, 11:53 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
DIESEL MANIAC!!!
Lifetime Supporting Member

why not run an 80-90, 80-140, 85-140, or something like that like the old trans cases? i mean it is a chain case and on our tower machines we use 85-140 in the chain cases cause nothing else sticks to the chains at high speeds

2011 GMC 2500hd LML all stock with XD rims, Level Kit and HID HIGH/LOW beams

Sold - 2008 Chevy K3500HD CC/LB LTZ with LMM Dmax

Sold - 2004 Chevy K2500HD Ext. Cab/LB w/ LLY Dmax
KSL667 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2008, 02:41 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
VAGITARIAN :)

Exclamation Amsoil severe gear....or the thick syrup over 90wt will do excellent..

Amsoil makes some severe gear lube for this....but Kyle is correct.I see nothing wrong with using the older thick stuff aroud 90-120 or so weight should last longer,and like he said,stick well to the parts/chains/and such that move and build heat.Like mentioned above the fluids just kinda thin and evaporate after time.Since you did heavy highway towing for 80k,can you imagine the heat and turns the t-case made??YES,heat and friction are killers of moving parts...for cheap insurance,I top mine off reg with 90 weight gear oil...I use the Castrol.Never any problems,and I use 4hi all the time when it rains,around here that's plenty in the winter.

Like the man said above,the reg checking and maint is vital to t-case life..I never had one go out using 90 wt,and hope I never do,so every 25k,my butt is under there,draining and replacing that crucial stuff!!!
2006 GMC 4x4 CC/SB/sle1/LBZ**312,000 miles!!** PPE HOT+2 225 TUNE beeeyotch:-)AutoMeter egt/boost Suncoast 5 trans w/1056TC!,billet in/out shafts/MagHytec pan!!,M/A built T-Case,4 in.str8piped,5%tint all around......
2007 Chevrolet 4x4 cc\sb,lbz.......SOLD to blunova
Also, I speed and don't come to complete stops at stop signs.

''don't sweat the petty things,pet the sweaty things''
Click below/pictures of my junk!!
http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/vb...do=hall&u=8415
daddysLBZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2008, 10:16 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
Discount Diesel Parts

102,383 miles on the stock front diff and T-case oils. I just replaced the front & rear diff and T-case last night. I swear my truck rolls smoother and better.

I used the HDD 5W-30 Amsoil Diesel oil. I only out in two qts becuse I didn't have a wrench to take off the speed sensor and didn't want to take a chance on stripping it using an ajustable socket set wrench. I will never let it go that far again anyway.

I also added on the Mag-Hytec diff cover to the rear as I do a lot of towing. The added 3 qts of oil should help keep things cool and clean in there.

It was easy and now I have a little more piece of mind knowing that those fluids are new. Next up the trans and adding the Mag deep trans pan.

When it comes to these fluids in particular you need to use the best and Amsoil' severe gear is the best. I have a dealer that will sell it to you all day long at his cost so if you need a hook up shout.
Amsoil Distributor #1466322
Exhaust Systems, Down Pipes, CAI, EFI Live
Authorized Nicktane Dealer, Filters
EZ Oil Drain Valves, Fuel Filter Access Doors
Your Satisfaction is Our Satisfaction!

Last edited by Dirtbikindad393; 12-10-2008 at 10:19 PM.
Dirtbikindad393 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2009, 11:45 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
Quicker Then Brian!

bringing this back up with a new question...though probably a dumb one i plan on using ATF for the case and not motor or gear oil. any reason why i should dex III or dex VI over one another? i dunno if the VI is thinner or anything....

Thanks to,
Big Dipper, Efilive, Calvert, Precession Converters, Nick@Duramaxtuner, Eaton, Pureflow, and Falken
RedBowTies88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2009, 11:58 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
Banned

Why arent you going to use motor oil Beech?

if your not going to use motor oil, put 2 qts in, tighten fill plug then add another 1 qt from the speed sensor.
Hondarider552 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2009, 12:01 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
Quicker Then Brian!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondarider552 View Post
Why arent you going to use motor oil Beech?

if your not going to use motor oil, put 2 qts in, tighten fill plug then add another 1 qt from the speed sensor.
i dunno man doing shit out of spec scares me sometimes i have to imagine there's a reason the factory said ATF..

so i should fill it over the actual fill plug? is the speed sensor easy to find?

maybe ill do motor oil i dunno

Thanks to,
Big Dipper, Efilive, Calvert, Precession Converters, Nick@Duramaxtuner, Eaton, Pureflow, and Falken
RedBowTies88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.