10% ethanol in diesel? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Alternative Fuels - Diesel - Additives - Lubricants Discussion of diesel, its various additives, oils, lubricants and alternative fuels IE: Bio-Diesel ect...

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2010, 06:30 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

10% ethanol in diesel?

Well here over the past two weeks or so i've noticed a drop in fuel economy, and the dpf filling up and going into regen a lot more often. I have no cel, fuel and oil filter have been changed recently, and I can't figure out what caused it. When I went up to the same station I usually do to get diesel, I noticed fresh new stickers on the diesel pumps sayin that it may contain up to 10% ethanol. First off, I thought that was really bad for diesel or something? Also, I have a feeling that this is the source of my drop in fuel economy. Any thoughts?
DPF and Cat fell off, EGR blocked
H&S Mini Maxx

War Eagle!
mgilleran18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2010, 07:24 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

Anyone ???
H&S Mini Maxx

War Eagle!
Old 06-05-2010, 07:29 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

Are you sure it was ethanol and not biodiesel?
4" turbo back exhaust
Autometer Cobalt Boost and Pyro Gauges
AirdogII, MBRP Intercooler Tube, PCV Re-route, Resonator Plugged, HD Tie Rods, Pitman/Idler Braces, Transgo Jr
www.huskerdiesel.com Husker Diesel - 402-502-6961
jalongnecker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2010, 07:33 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

100% sure, I checked it when I went by today. They were recently put on there. I'm just lookin for some sort of explanation as to why my mileage would just drop out of nowhere?
H&S Mini Maxx

War Eagle!
Old 06-05-2010, 08:42 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

I would cheek with the gas station to make shear it has no Ethanol that is grain alcohol and alcohol and diesel donít get along. It well eat rubber hoses and other rubber components that is not approved for alcohol.

I live hear in IA and I have never herd of putting ethanol in Diesel I think some one made a mistake of putting the sticker on a diesel pump but if it has got ethanol in it would thin the Diesel down and would not get great fuel economy.

I would get fuel from down the road and not their
EDGE CTS RACE WITH DIAMOND EYE 5" Exhaust

[url]http://performancetruckproducts.com

Husker Diesel - 402-502-6961
Bowtie trucks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2010, 08:47 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

It is true they are starting to put 10 % ethanol is some diesel I just spent $ 1500 rebuilding the fuel system on my tractor because of this.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:53 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

yeah i'm thinkin that they put the stickers on there by mistake because it was the same type of stickers on all the regular pumps. It's just weird because those stickers have been there for a while but the ones on the diesel pump were just slapped on there recently
H&S Mini Maxx

War Eagle!
Old 06-05-2010, 09:17 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

i would be talking to the manager and find out if it is ethanol or biodiesel they are putting in there if it is ethanol i would find another place to buy my fuel!!
Intake Horn Mod
Banks Ram Air Intake
Stock Exhaust with Muffler Cut Out
Dying Allison Tranny-Limp count-4

www.AlligatorPerformance.com
duramaxthis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2010, 07:00 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

I've never heard of ethanol being used in Diesel???

But on a side note... E85 is 85% ethanol / 15% gas in the summer and as low as 70% in the winter (to help with starting). I run this in my WRX and it's amazing stuff but there are a few "issues" with it. You burn approx. 30% more.... so mileage takes a nice hit, but it's cheap enough it balances out. EGT's go down almost 200 deg at WOT!! which means leaning out mixtures and picking up some power... you can also achieve minimum best timing, which is very nice on a high boost turbo gas engine. It burns VERY clean, no carbon to speak of.

It is hard on the wrong types of rubber etc. I wrecked my injector o-rings withing 2-3 days after switching over.. had to change them to viton in the parking lot at work It also takes huge injectors and pumps to keep up...

Anyway I'm rambling and pretty well off topic here, just thought I'd share some info on ethanol.

Though I would be very surprised if they were putting it in diesel...
Self built/tuned sideways s366 setup | DPC converter / Co-Pilot | 1792 / BD Filter| Black 5" Hood Stack | Homebuilt Trac Bars | Coil-overs | 250psi water/meth | Black MM951's | roll pan | Autometer/ISSpro/UltraGauge | sleeves | self Lowered | deep pan etc.
12.61 @ 105 - 5800ft elev (stock trans) 12.6 vid

Parted out my car for a Pilot's License!!!
GravityKnightFlying
GeneralTJI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2010, 07:19 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

In my last post I said that in never herd of them putting ethanol in Diesel. Well I sell corn to Poet Bio refinery and I had to ask and yes. They have done testing in large city of putting ethanol in diesel 10 to 15 % blends. Not poet but the government.

I well put this link in if you wont to read it www.nrel.gov/docs/fy03osti/34817.pdf
EDGE CTS RACE WITH DIAMOND EYE 5" Exhaust

[url]http://performancetruckproducts.com

Husker Diesel - 402-502-6961
Bowtie trucks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.