oil change intervals? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Alternative Fuels - Diesel - Additives - Lubricants Discussion of diesel, its various additives, oils, lubricants and alternative fuels IE: Bio-Diesel ect...

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2011, 05:47 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

oil change intervals?

I've been told by the dealer that engine oil (and filter) need to be changed every 3,000 miles religiously. According to the oil life on the display, that is not the case. I have an '06 LBZ spinning an Allison, and I rarely get the chance to work the truck the way it's set up to be worked. Is it better to listen to the dealership on this, is it better to go by what the truck's computer says, or is there a different service interval to follow? I've been running Rotella, and I'm thinking about switching to Mobil Delvac 1300 at my next change (which may or may not be coming due shortly) Any help on this would be appreciated.

firemanjoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2011, 05:55 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
Vanned this place

Take the oil + filter of your choice. Run the oil + filter as many miles as you feel comfortable. Then pull a sample of the oil and send it for analysis. Adjust your oil change intervals from there
TheStepChild is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2011, 09:22 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
Oh...... Squirrel!

I have a 06 LBZ and tow seldomly. I change my oil every 5,000 religiously and I never go by the dumb DIC
Exterior: Escalade Handles, Front windows tinted to match the rear, painted bumpers & mirrors, billet grille, 305/50/20 Cooper Zeons on BMF Novakanes Death Metal, Cognito Braces, Stainless Sleeves, Train Horns
Interior: 4 Kicker 10in Subs in 2 custom box's, Autometer Ultra lite II Pyro and Boost gauges, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge, HID Lows & Fogs, Painted accents
Performance: EFI Live Tuned by Blackout Performance, Custom Blackout Performance S475 over stock twins, 45 over stock injectors, MBRP Turbo Back Stainless Exhaust (Straight piped), Raptor Lift Pump, AFE Filter, GMAX6 kit with Suncoast 1057 converter installed by Blackout Performance
1999 Ford F-550 PowerStroke ''Wrecker'' **Jerrdan bed, S&B Intake
Tow Master is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2011, 09:50 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

Stupid question here, where do I send the oil for analysis?

2007.5 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew cab LTZ 6.6 LMM Duramax. Afe cold air intake stage 2, MBRP 5 inch exhaust. Edge evoluton CS. DPF delete straight pipe.
Duramax Deputy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2011, 09:52 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
Banned

blackstone labs.

Run the oil you want and the filter you want. You can be cheap and run a fram filter and run rotella for 10k miles, or you can spend some money and run delo or whatever with a mobil 1 filter for 3000 miles. I just did an oil change yesterday with 600 miles on the oil
Hondarider552 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2011, 10:05 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

My truck doesnt get worked at all, just driven. I run a delco filter and rotella t for usually 6-8k miles. The change engine oil light never comes on, But I think it is set for 10k mile intervals from the factory. I change my fuel filter more then my oil, also run a delco fuel filter.

2004.5 ext. cab short box lly, duramaxtuner EFI live, SOLD
Onebadbowtie86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2011, 04:37 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
DF Sponsors

I think any of the lube shops or dealerships asking you back every 3k is old school and they only want you back that often to keep their business going. Truth is, most oils are holding dyno oils are holding up far longer than 3k. A member here ran Rotella T for 12k and did an analysis to see how it was holding up. It came back good for continued use. Synthetics hold up far longer than that with some recently talked about on here going over 30k miles on one oil change.

My point? You can run it longer, typically you are good between 5k - 10k miles on dyno. I hope this helps.

Take care,
mrmanners is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2011, 05:17 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondarider552 View Post
blackstone labs.

Run the oil you want and the filter you want. You can be cheap and run a fram filter and run rotella for 10k miles, or you can spend some money and run delo or whatever with a mobil 1 filter for 3000 miles. I just did an oil change yesterday with 600 miles on the oil
Did you mean 30,000 miles instead of 3000? if you didn't then spending that extra money doesn't make much sense
Danville Tuned
305/50/20
looking for more fuel and air....
mcle6103 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2011, 05:39 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

the LML goes anywhere between 4-6k between monthly oil changes depending on how many trips it makes to the dealer for other service, and the LBZ goes 7k or now probably 6 months. Running Delvac 1300 on both....

VIDEO HOW TO's

timharry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2011, 05:44 AM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

I'm on 11,000 on my Rotella Synthetic. Getting ready to change because I am a big girl and am worried about the quality due to the regens the truck still does and the fact that I didnt put the best of filters on it. Going with a mobile 1 filter this time
Danville Tuned
305/50/20
looking for more fuel and air....
mcle6103 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.