Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

2016 with 3000 m, ok to change oil without filter?

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  bbv203 
#1 ·
Just turned 3000 on my new ltz, is it okay to switch out factory oil without changing the filter? I'll prob do the filter also just asking as I'm more concerned with leaving in the factory oil if it has any break in stuff like fluids or wear pieces from new.

New dmax guy, just wondering what to do for proper initial maintenance.
Oh yea.. was going to flush with delo 15w40 also.

Thanks

#4 ·
Change the filter & oil. You don't have to flush it. Just drain & fill.

#5 ·
GM recommends first changing the oil at 7500 miles and after that to use the DIC to prompt for the next oil change which is based on more than simply the miles driven but also the amount of diesel fuel burned (which adds sludge and soot to the motor oil) and the duration of the trips and other factors. Always change the filter when changing the oil and be sure to transfer the magnetic washer from the old filter to the new one - this is something a quick lube place may fail to do.

Diesel fuel is very dirty and some of it does get into the crankcase and will contaminate and dilute the engine oil. This is even more of a problem if someone has screwed around with or removed the emissions controls.

#10 ·
#9 ·
There is no magnetic washer on engine filter just on Allison filter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.