Do I need fuel additives? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Alternative Fuels - Diesel - Additives - Lubricants Discussion of diesel, its various additives, oils, lubricants and alternative fuels IE: Bio-Diesel ect...

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2011, 07:37 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Do I need fuel additives?

Not interested in hearing who has the best additive right now, but I would like to know if I really need fuel additives. The low sulfur diesel does concern me and wanted to hear why (if I do) I need additives. I'm looking for a detailed explanation about pros and cons.

For example: lubricates o-rings and seals, better fuel mileage, etc.

This answer might be different for various types of engines and usage, but I have a 2009 LMM Crew Cab short box 2wd with 20K miles. stock for now, but after 36K will probably put intake and programmer back on.

Let me Restate, this thread is not intended to learn about brands at this time, just to know what is needed and what is not. Thanks in advance!
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2011, 07:53 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

I do seafoam every two tanks but it is because of my LB7 injectors. You shouldn't need to add any to save anything but it never hurts.
546hp & 1025 ft/lbs at Lone Star Dyno, Spring Branch Tx.
Best Run: 13.23 @101 with 1.90 60
'
daword2011 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2011, 07:53 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

The Ultra low sulfur diesel doesn't lubricate as well as diesel did before they switched to this crap we have now.

This is potentially hard on your injection system. Will it survive without any additives... maybe? is it possibly cheap insurance to run some additives... I fully believe so. Will you get better mileage? possibly a little, but I wouldn't run an additive with that as your primary goal.

There are plenty of good additives out there... one you may consider is two stroke oil. Thats a cheap route. Personally I mix two stroke oil and some other additives together and run them every time I get fuel.

Here is a good read for you when you start researching what additives specifically you want to run: Lubricity Additive Study Results - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums
Self built/tuned sideways s366 setup | DPC converter / Co-Pilot | 1792 / BD Filter| Black 5" Hood Stack | Homebuilt Trac Bars | Coil-overs | 250psi water/meth | Black MM951's | roll pan | Autometer/ISSpro/UltraGauge | sleeves | self Lowered | deep pan etc.
12.61 @ 105 - 5800ft elev (stock trans) 12.6 vid

Parted out my car for a Pilot's License!!!
GravityKnightFlying
GeneralTJI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2011, 08:07 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
DF Sponsors

I agree with GeneralTJI, it is cheap insurance to ensure you are doing what you can to protect your investment. That said, I don't necessarily agree with straight up 2 stroke oil. While it will provide the lubrication, it does nothing to ensure you are keeping the fuel system clean. A clean injector provides a proper spray pattern. When you have a proper spray pattern, you have a better fuel burn. Now if you go with an additive that has cetane in it you are also improving the combustion of the fuel. When you improve combustion you are improving responsiveness, starting and getting a better burn.

There are a lot of additives on the market. Everyone has an opinion on what works best for them. The study link above is a few yrs old but seems to still be valid. I have tried several of the top products from that list. I suggest you do the same to see what works right for you.

If I can be of assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to ask.

Take care,
mrmanners is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2011, 08:53 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

I've never run anything in my truck, however I might consider Stanadyne as it seems to be highly favored by Diesel mechanics out here. I think running it every tank full is a bit overboard though don't you? To me that's like running a bottle of Techron or BG44k (same thing believe it, they are both Techron) in a gas engine at every fill up..

2008 GMC 2500 D-Max Crew Cab Long Bed Z71 100% Stock
Real trucks don't need stacks
RyanZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2011, 08:58 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Im using an additive (Power Service) to help lubricate.
I agree try some of the top brands & see which one you liked the best. I did the same & they all seem to be the same. I stick with PS cause I can find it almost anywhere.
I use to use an additive on every other fill up & now I use it on every fill up. (I noticed a diff from every other fill up, to every fill up) As for MPG gain, @ 1st I never saw a gain.
Now with almost 50K miles on the truck I see 1+ MPG, but I think thats due to the truck breaking in more, & more.

2009 GMC 2500HD SLE CC/SB 4x4 LMM
EFI Live, Edge Insight CTS, EGR disabled, Flo~Pro 4" exhaust w/ muffler & stock trumpet tip, Pacer LED NBS cab lights, GM under tailgate dually light bar, Footwell lights, Cobra 29 WXNWST CB radio, Kenwood speakers, Tinted windows, GM chrome oval running boards, WIF sensor delete plug, Fumoto oil drain valve, Bilstein 5100 shocks, Michelin M/S2, PY0 wheels, Rubber mud flaps, Curt class IV hitch, Wilson 2000 CB antenna

2000 Silverado 1500 LS RC/LB 4x2 4.8L (Whoopty/Work Truck)

Last edited by HD Dmax Machine; 05-31-2011 at 09:06 PM.
HD Dmax Machine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2011, 09:04 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporting Member

As others have stated...cheap insurance.
LBZ mouthpiece upgrade, BD Exhaust, MBRP DP, Banks Ram-Air with SuperScoop ,4" SS Corsa Exhaust System w/gutted kitty, Amsoil Dual Oil Bypass Filtration, Aux Radiator (Engineer 837) installed, Firestone Air Bags, Allison extra capacity Tranny pan, MagHytec Rear Diff Cover, Synthetic Fluids ...Mike L tranny cooler) 2008 Towing Mirrors with Leveling MOD, PCV reroute, Fumoto Valve, Mad Jacks fuel fiter access door. Running 2% BioDiesel with Optilube XPD,TTS dual lift pumps with Nictane Aux Fuel Filtration. EFI (Tuned ECM from Duramaxtuner) Edge Insight CTS to control the tunes
And the best part of all, no payments and title in hand
1953drtelco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2011, 05:49 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

With additive, I've noticed the engine is quieter and a lot less smoke when you first push on the go fast pedal Similar to which type/brand of oil you run, experiment a little and find what works best for you
2006 GMC Sierra 3500 Dually, LBZ, Crew Cab, ATP tuned ECM, Alligator Diesel drivers side IC tube, SDP EGR delete tube, Pro Fab up-pipes, Diamond Eye down-pipe, MBRP 5" SS with muffler, TTS dual lift pumps, CAT auxiliary filter, Nicktane filter head with 1 micron filter, Husker Diesel tranny cooler lines, MA pump rub fix, Blistein 5100 shocks, resonator plug, PCV reroute, Autometer SportComp2 triple gauge set, 5K HID low beam and fog lights
45cal4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2011, 01:15 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

Over the road guys are having injector problems (seizing) without additives. The owner-operators use it as insurance and they won't spend a dime till they absolutely have to. They use the hell out of Howards in winter above I-70. Use additive for your injectors. My injectors are very quiet compared to other LLY trucks.
2005 3500 LLY CCLB SRW, Allison, 3.73 posi, 285-17 Michelin on H2 wheels, Cognito tie-rods, 5400 xenon lts, 3500 fogs, Air-dog 150, 4" MBRP exhaust turbo back(kitty no-more), BD exhaust manifold, MBRP turbo down-pipe, MBRO IC tubes Mag-Tech deep sump tranny & rear dif, Banks Filter air-box, IOH kit(Mouthpiece) EGR bolck-off ,Amsoil remote oil filter & by-pass filter, Synthetic lube in engine, tranny, transfer, rear end . Thanks Alligator! :rockin
silver3500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2011, 01:40 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

Good info to consider. Thank you. I think I'll be playing it safe when I pick up my 08 again this coming thursday.

2008 GMC 2500 D-Max Crew Cab Long Bed Z71 100% Stock
Real trucks don't need stacks
RyanZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.