Christmas tools - Page 2 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Behind The Garage Door For your garage / shop including tools & equipment

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 07:56 AM   eBay Motors  #11 (permalink)
I'm That Guy...

Tool boxes you want something decent.

The ONLY cheap brand that I would buy is Harbor Freight US General (the red box), everything else isn't worth it including Craftsman, Lowes, Home Depot, Kragen, etc...

Tools you have to evaluate the tool to determine the brand, each company has their specialty. I wouldn't shy away from Craftsman wrenches and getting them replaced is much easier then Snap On or Matco. If you have Matco tools and something breaks, it's harder to get it swapped out if you don't work in a shop. The shop guys see their Matco guys and unless you have a friend you won't.

Craftsman screw drivers, wrenches, ratcheting wrenches, etc... are good.

Craftsman makes a quality ratchet and cheap ratchet, their 180 tooth ratchet is nice and worth the money IMO.

It sounds like you have a basic socket set and there is no reason not to stick with Craftsman, if you break a socket run down to Sears and get it swapped out.

Impact sockets are another story, DO NOT buy cheap. One of those comes apart in your hand and you might lose your hand. It's not safe and you should buy quality impact sockets. Also never put a standard socket on an impact.

Air Compressors, you need to do your research. I've had fairly good luck using a Craftsman, but you need to really evaluate what you are using it for. Duty cycle is important, if you are painting a Craftsman won't keep up. Also oil free vs oil air compressors come into play depending on what you are using it for.

Impacts... I'm a fan of IR, they are a good quality impact. You can buy an IR impact at your local Sears. If you get a cheap impact or air tool it won't hold up or do half the work you need it to. I've seen brand new impacts unable to pull off a lug nut.

Kobalt tools from Lowes used to be made by Snap On, but are now cheap chinese tools. One of the few tools I would buy from them is their set of small needle nose pliers, dikes, etc... I bought a set for a project my girl was working on and was so impressed I bought a set for myself. I honestly like them better then my Matco and Craftsman.

I have MOSTLY Matco tools, followed by Craftsman, and a few other tools from other various places like Snap On, Lowes, etc...

As far as an OBD2 scanner, this gets real complicated, but they make some nice computer interface scanners that let you data log and check any OBD2 system via your computer. If you want to get crazy, I'm pretty happy with my Snap On Solus Pro, but it's expensive to keep up to date.

Cordless Re-Chargeable Impacts - I don't have a lot of experience here, but I was told that the ones from Lowes are great and hold up pretty good. I have a Matco 1/2" impact and it's great, but pricey. If you use these a lot you plan on them to wear out.

Wobbly Sockets, I suggest buying Impact wobbly sockets, because you can use them with or without an impact. Again, this is something that should come from Matco or Snap On. I personally have Matco. Also you can get wobbly extensions that work in a lot of situations with standard sockets / impact sockets.

Torque Wrench - I would spend some $$ here or get something quality. There is a vendor on Duramax Diesels that sells Torque Wrenches out a discount to Duramax enthusiasts. I don't know anybody who has bought them, but they are fairly cheap and claim to be great quality.

Floor Jack, Trans Jack, etc... - I always buy these at Harbor Freight and have never had an issue. You can get some nice ones capable of lifting our trucks for a reasonable price. Always remember to use jack stands on a level surface though. Also be aware what you are doing, especially if you are using a cheater/breaker bar.

A friend of mine was under his Impala working and when he puled down on his breaker bar it had enough force to unbalance the car where it fell off the jackstands on top of him. He was pinned under it until a neighbor boy helped get him out from under it. He permanently lost the ability to feel anything in one arm and was lucky to come out alive. A good idea is to place your tires/rims under the frame when you have the car / truck up too... That is just a secondary safety measure to give you as much space if it did fall so it didn't go "splat".

CLICK TO READ: FORUM RULES AND DF STAFF!

Thank you Rob Coddens (Idaho Rob), Dustin @ ATP, Scott @ SDP, Kory Willis, and Mike L. for all of your help!

05 LLY CCSB 4wd - Mods coming (Truck Love from ATP Trucks and Copperhead Diesel expected soon)
SOLD: 05 LLY, 05 LLY, 09 LMM, 02 LB7

TDFDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2012, 07:59 AM   eBay Motors  #12 (permalink)

I like the electric cordless impacts.Get good 1s.I've got an old Milwaukee 3/8s that just won't quit and I have a 1/2 delwalt which is ok.Now I would buy Ingersoll rand you can get them at sear or threw the sears catalog.I just bought the 1/2 inch titanium plastic composite off eBay for 200 and I'm so impressed with it, it makes my old craftsman professional (which I was very happy with) look like a little kids gun.

Sent from a black cloud and the smell of burnt rubber
04 CCSB LB7 IIs483 over IIs366,carillos,cut and coated lb7 slugs,ported heads,RDL downpipe uppipes manifolds ,efi live with dsp5,Big Dipper stage 4,4 inch out the back, ram air keystone hood,US Speedoo fox racing shocks cluster,rolling on hummers,and wraped in silverbirch. And some wicked tunning from Bo-Bo (Bob Olson)
11.64 @117
Originally Posted by hllbllylmsne
Sounds like you screwed up the seat to steering wheel linkage, no real fix for it, sorry
blacksmokelb7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 08:21 AM   eBay Motors  #13 (permalink)

Just another thing universals in all sizes 1/4. 3/8. 1/2. With various extentions in all those sizes. Injector jobs on my lb7 would not be capable without them. And I think a t55 or t60 bit if im right, some one correct me on proper size for doing your rear breaks. Allen head sockets. Those US Generols are really nice too and seem to be high quality compared to the craftsman boxes.
5 inch MBRP
PPE boost valve
Air intake
AD2 165
EFI Live By Kory
DeeZee Black back rack with UWS tool box
To Do...Trans...Traction bars...
DMAXSTORE.COM, Your Duramax Diesel-Only Shopping Resource
KyleR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 08:47 AM   eBay Motors  #14 (permalink)

gift certificate to snap-on
Thanks to ATP Trucks and Husker Diesel.
Yellow is Good is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 09:15 AM   eBay Motors  #15 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDFDiesel View Post
What kind of dollar amount are we talking about?

You can get a pretty decent tool box for a reasonable price from Harbor Freight, the dull red expandable box.

As for tools..

Air Tools
- Air Compressor
- Impact
- Air hammer
- Air Ratchet

Battery Powered Impact

Trans jack or nice floor jack

Ratcheting wrenches

Electric Impacts

Wobbly Impact Sockets

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Harbor freight doesnt have the dull red anymore. Its the same box still but they changed to gloss red. In my opinion it looks much better. I have both there red service cart and the red box. I would put the service carts quality and durability up against any snap on or matco tool cart quality. Oh yea and 1/5th the price!
Old 12-01-2012, 09:24 AM   eBay Motors  #16 (permalink)

Snap on stuff is very nice but for the cost my craftsman stuff is great.And as far as boxes go which you my want a good box to begin with to keep your stuff organized like someone else said.Check out Menards they have some awesome ballbering slide drawers.I got my all stainless double box from Sam's club for 700 out the door and I love it.

Sent from a black cloud and the smell of burnt rubber
04 CCSB LB7 IIs483 over IIs366,carillos,cut and coated lb7 slugs,ported heads,RDL downpipe uppipes manifolds ,efi live with dsp5,Big Dipper stage 4,4 inch out the back, ram air keystone hood,US Speedoo fox racing shocks cluster,rolling on hummers,and wraped in silverbirch. And some wicked tunning from Bo-Bo (Bob Olson)
11.64 @117
Originally Posted by hllbllylmsne
Sounds like you screwed up the seat to steering wheel linkage, no real fix for it, sorry
blacksmokelb7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 03:12 PM   eBay Motors  #17 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

I really like craftsman myself. Plus most of their tools have a lifetime warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
PPE Hot+2,
Alligator Tranny lines
Autometer Cobalt, boost and pyro.
Color-matched mirrors, bumper, flares and bowtie.
Smoked cab, 3rd brake, fender and tail lights.
duramaxchris06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 04:05 PM   eBay Motors  #18 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

power probe 3. Amazon has them for 100 bucks right now. It will make your life so much easier with any electrical work. You will still need a good DMM of course, but the power probe is so nice to have.

To add my opinion on other tool brands, the responses will vary drastically depending on who you ask. People like myself and Tony, appreciate good tools. Me being a diesel tech for a living, i have few craftsman tools in my box. That is not to say craftsman isnt good, but its easier to buy off the trucks or online for me. As far as a good toolbox, i feel that home use strictly it isnt as big of priority. At work i have a big Snap on box and tool cart, at home i have 2 craftsman, and a us general cart. They dont get rolled around much and most heavy bulky tools are on my shelves.

04 LLY CCSB 4X4

Last edited by battlegraduate09; 12-06-2012 at 04:08 PM.
battlegraduate09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 05:28 AM   eBay Motors  #19 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

A power probe is a great tool, if you know how to use one, harry home owner should not have one, a test light and a good DMM is good enough. As every one else has said for the most part, you get what you pay for. I have a Hitachi cordless impact tool, has the 1/4" hex quick connect, and I have a kit with various bits for it, socket sizes, torx and screw bits, I use the hell out of that thing and it keeps on rolling no issues.
2003 2500HD LT CCLB, EFILive by Idaho Rob, 4" MBRP, Diamond Eye Down Pipe, Ported Intake Horn, S&B Intake, PPE Boost Valve, ADII, Nicktane CAT Adapter, Edge CTS, Cognito UCA, Rare Parts Tie Rods, Cognito Brace kit, Bilsteins, Gear Alloy wheels, Hankook RF10 285's, All on Mod, DDM 5k Low's & 4300 Fogs, air horn, on board air, limo tint

www.performancetruckproducts.com
biketopia is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 07:05 AM   eBay Motors  #20 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

The hitachi impact driver is worth every penny

04 LLY CCSB 4X4

battlegraduate09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.