Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

I'm getting ready to build a shop and I need advice

13K views 52 replies 38 participants last post by  Broc680 
#1 ·
I'm getting ready to build a 36x40 shop with 12ft ceilings. I'm really going back and forth on how to lay the doors out. I'm gonna have two roll up doors. Also debating on heat and air options. Had thought about a wood heater but I could run gas out to it. As far as cooling I thought about just a window unit and shop fans.

Give me your opinions and pics would be even better!

#33 ·
we have a 60x70 shop and walled off and heat 40x60 of it and we have a tube heater which is very efficient. It doesnt necessarily warm the air up as good as other heaters but it is designed to heat surface area. It heats the concrete, cars in the shop, tools (I love reaching down and grabbing a warm tool in the middle of winter), and any other surface that is in the shop. This system is the same heating system that almost all body shops in my area use in their paint booths and I love it. Also no matter what heater you use insulation is key, it doesnt matter how good the heater is if the building cant keep the heat in you will just be wasting time and money. just my .02

#36 ·
Are you building this yourself? How much to you have into it with the walls and lean to as is right now?

#39 ·
haha lmao^^ bet you're right!

#40 ·
Construction is complete. I'll have more pics soon.

Next step is electrical. I have 200 amp service to my house. Could I run 100 amp service to the shop from the house or would it be better to have a second meter on the shop? The shop is only about 50 feet from the house breaker box. If I run it off the house I won't have to worry with buying permits and dealing with the inspector.

What would you do?

Next question is on lighting. I'm thinking 3 rows of 4ft fluorescents on 3 separate switches. Any suggestions on types of lighting?

#42 ·
Looking good so far. Sub'd for more pics.

#45 ·
I'm finishing up the electrical now. I ended up going with 9 T8 2 light 4ft fixtures. I ran a feeder wire from the main breaker box in the house to the sub panel in the shop. Once I get that done I'm gonna start building workbenches.

Does anybody have any pictures of thier workbenches? I'm thinking about just building them all the way across the back wall.

#48 ·
I would recommend in floor heat, run tubing in concrete and hook up a boiler. Its a little pricey but if your on the floor much it would be nice. Some say it will help heat the whole shop. Radiant heat is nice also.

#49 ·
Lots and lots of insulation! Insulation will pay for itself over and over and over. If you can get enough waste oil for free it is the only way to go. We have a Clean Burn unit from the 80's (bought it "reconditioned") and it is the best investment we have ever made. No maintenance (clean it every 3 years) and a little bit of electricity and you have a nice warm shop 24/7. My shop hasn't been under 40 degrees at anytime since we've had it (about 4 years).

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#52 ·
Just by looking at the pics,this isn't your average "pole barn". So I would be blowin away if he didn't spend the money to insulate it. And for the comment of running heated flooring,its to late unless he did it prior to your comment. They also sell heated "wire mats" that are wired to the panel that works extremely well that poured into concrete as well,tho mainly used in smaller areas in front of doors at factories or aprons. Nice shop

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.