Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Bowz small LML Build, OLPUTPUT

5K views 23 replies 5 participants last post by  BOWZ 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I don't have the money to do big builds to keep up with you all. Just going for an avg joe build and using this to keep track of it.

Few months ago I traded in my 05 Cummins that I've had since 07. It was a 6sp sitting on semi tires. Dirty running truck that destroyed my boat with soot every time I took it on road trips. Wife would be stressed that we would be stranded on the lake if I hurt myself. She couldn't back the trailer in the water let alone get it home with my heavy South Bend clutch, when she pushed it down only her shoulders would be touching the seat. Most of all when I bought the engine and got the free truck, there was a reason it was free, I was tired of dumping money in the Dodge parts.

So here is my used 2015 Chevy. Purchased with 34K miles from a dealer 5hrs away in TX. Was in the market for a unmolested low mile LML. All 15's where out of my price range even though that is what I wanted. This one popped up, gave them a call just in time, the owner was driving it to a offroad shop to put on a lift kit. Got there the next day and it was deleted w/4" MBRP, aftermarket DP, EGR delete, s&b intake, airdog 4g w/sump and a autocal in the counsel that has Kory Willis on the front!! Soooo, so much for unmolested, gave me gold for the old cummins and I drove my first Dmax home. Dealer was friends with the previous owner, got me his name and number. Next weekend I drove back to TX to pick up all the emissions stuff for a just in case. Good guy, extremely helpful.

The drive home, best riding truck I've even been in.

I don't like chrome and this was easy.

Even more reason to get rid of it, that is just plain nasty.

Oh boy, for being such a small thing, I could have been happier.

I'm cheap, so this will have to do for now.

As she sits now, OLPUTPUT

Bowz

See less See more
#2 ·
As always its never over. I have a huge list of things I want to do and prioritizing them...

Top of the list:
CP3
trans tune
CTS2 w/egt and fuel PSI
window tint
bed/toolbox liner

Later down the road
Sulastic's w/drop shackles
Nav/iphone MYLInk upgrade
PPE manifolds & up pipes
air bags
front LED bar and backup lights
goose neck ball
tires/rims
built trans
Compounds
on board air system

So what do you guys thing about the CP3 conversion. Been all over the forums, Since the EGR is missing, I have that going for me. I'm leaning towards fleece just because I've seen them in the Cummins world a lot. This will be happening within the next few months. Figured I'd do the TCM tune since I will be dealing with Kory Willis for the updated cp3 tune. CTS2 also the same time, I can't deal with not seeing what the engine is doing. Just need to figure out the best way to purchase everything I need for the CTS.

EGT starter kit and EAS pressure sensor but need a universal EAS sensor input

Or should I just get the EAS competition kit

Whats your take?
Bowz

#3 ·
A few other pictures.

Here is the old truck pulling my summer toy.

First oil change, I run Amsoil in everything I own.

I know its optimistic, but even if its 5-6, it beats my 12-16 in my cummins. Last fill up was 18.8MPG hand calc avg 65-75 w/100miles city driving. Wasn't babying it.

The tune that was on it when I purchased the truck. Put my cummins to shame rowin the gears. Now I'm on the lowest tune...

On a side note I noticed in a few threads people talking about there pedal position being all the way down wasn't giving them full throttle. I figured I'd give it a try, nothing like a free mod. So I'm not a big fan of auto's and haven't liked how the truck lugs in 6th and absolutely hated how long it would lug in 6th when I'd punch it, several seconds usually. I lifted the pedals about 1/2" and wow, just wow, no more lugging and it shifts down almost instantly. I guess the Weather Tech's were not letting the throttle all the way down.

Bowz

#4 ·
I can only input my experience with a fleece cp3 in my lb7. It flows plenty of fuel for my 30 overs. Seems very reliable so far but I've only put maybe 3000 miles on my pump and injectors. Beats the lbz pump that was in there for sure.

#5 ·
Thanks for the heads up!

Bowz

#6 ·
Well last night had some hot coffee and some beer on standby for a drop shackle install. Got them from a guy on here and couldn't be happier.

Every tool out it seemed like.

Looking good!

I still have about a 1.25" rake and am hoping that it will be perfectly level with the boat hooked up to it. I do however think airbags will be moving towards the top of the list.

Bowz

Bowz

#7 ·
Looks great man! I'm glad I could hook you up with the shackles and everything worked out great!

Reactions: BOWZ
#9 ·
Sorry to jack Bowz build thread, but I am the guy who sold him the shackles and have a little experience on installing them myself. All you should need is jack stands and a floor jack. Jack up each side and place your jack stands. If they are not tall enough, you can get some 4x4 or 6x6 blocks of wood to set your stands on. Just be safe, its a heavy truck. Once each of the rears tires are off the ground, take off the bottom shackle bolt through the access hole in the frame. Dropping your spare tire will make your life a ton easier. Once the lower shackle bolts are out, place your floor jack below the rear end and jack it up until you are able to pull the upper shackle bolt out above the frame. You will likely need to remove the 4 rear most bed bolts to get the clearance you need. Once all shackle bolts are removed, reverse the procedure by inserting the top shackle bolt first, then slowly drop the rear end down until your new shackles line up and you can insert the lower bolt. Torque everything down once the truck is back on the ground on its own weight to avoid binding. Air tools such as an impact wrench, air ratchet, and a 24mm standard wrench will be very helpful.

#11 ·
Good input, I'll second all of it. When i was dealing with my Cummins sitting on 37's and a 6in lift and dropping it down to 3" I had the same problem with my Jackstands being to short. All i did was Jack up the truck remove the tires and lower it until the disk brakes almost hit the ground, gained me almost a foot and a few 4x4's screwed together got me the rest of the way.

Bowz

#12 ·
Has anyone seen the advertisement in the new Diesel Power for Auto Meters Dash Control for the 15 and newer Duramax? They caught my eye a few weeks back but only had them for the older trucks. I like the idea of it all being on the dash and not having eye candy sitting out enticing jerks. I see the older trucks need to use the lock button to scroll through the pages, I wonder if the newer ones they would be able to incorporate the steering wheel controls.

link to it.
DASHCONTROL OBDII DISPLAY CONTROLLER, SILVERADO/SIERRA DIESEL 2015+

What are the cons? Why would the CTS2 be better besides turbo timer? Would expand to lift pump pressure and egt in manifold. Leg clearance, how it is displayed on the DIC and using a lock button instead of steering wheel controls is my concerns right now. Might make up a new thread after I search some on here.

Bowz

#13 ·
So I talked to Autometer. Very very helpfull, but I'm going else ware. So It only shows up to 02 readouts at a time. It only is on the top line of the DIC and seeing the format you would be lucky to have 02 displayed at the same time. The add on sending units are about 120 a piece and they don't have an EGT one yet. Rep was told that EGT OHM to V converter will be out in the next few months. Besides only being able to display 2 readouts, you also could not use the normal DIC display at the same time, Just seems to be a waste with all that unused space. Now for the good, it will alert you via the DIC and factory chime even if you are not displaying the parameter that was exceeded. Hope this helps someone that was interested.

Bowz

#14 ·
Sent inquires out on a Fleece CP3K conversion, CTS2 and TCM tunes. Maybe by the end of the week i'll be checking the front door every 5 min for some new toys.

Bowz

#15 ·
Quick update, Have CTS2 installed with EGT and lift pump PSI. CP4 seems healthy on the lowest tune but the CP3 sitting on my coffee table is still going in, just need to find the time. Drove up to Detroit with a good tail wind, was knocking down 28+mpg on the lie-0-meter doing 68 mph. Hand calc the tank out to 22.7 and couldn't be happier.

got to love lies!

I think I'll pull the trigger on one of these Air Lift 5000 ultimate with the internal jounce bump stop. I think this is going to be my only option since I lowered the rear 2".

Bowz

#16 ·
Well tossed in the air bags, Not sure if I like how much they are compressed. I don't think it will help with a long trouble free life for the airbags, Might bring up the rear one bolt on the drop shackles. Just an update. Now back to researching how big of a tire I can squeeze into the fender wells.

Bowz

#17 ·
Took the drop shackles out, the internal jounce stops on the airbags were resting on the axle and made the ride horrible. I might look into cutting down the factory jounce mounts and the upper airbag mount to get my clearance back to run a reverse leveled truck.

But onto more fun things, Tossed in my CP3K pump and reroute all new fuel line feeding it. I am all about filtration so I left the stock filter on the truck and ran new 1/2" lines from the ADII to stock filter, then stock filter to CP3. I didn't notice the rail return line that fed into the stock feed line in the rail. Had a little leak on start up, ended up pulling out the Ybridge and seeing where I messed up. Lucky I had a 1/2" T for a fuel pressure sensor that I tossed in a barb fitting and made it work.

I figured since I was tearing out all the restrictive Ypipe and grid heater I might as well toss in some more free flowing pipe. HSP is about 45 min up the road, They did a rush order for some blue piping and man did it turn out good!

Well I Tossed it straight to Kory Willis CP3 Street tune. The thing was a beast, completely different that the past 20K miles it has been in optimized stock. Did a few burnouts through first into second mashing on it, thing pulls insane through all the gears. After my first afternoon of having fun I took it out for a normal drive and noticed some surging in 4th. Tried it in the two lower setting with the same results. After some research it sounds like its a tuning issue and not my trans slipping. Full throttle I didn't' notice it, just anything above 50%. Took some data logs and am waiting to hear back from Kory Willis.

#18 ·
Well went to install some Dmax store manifolds and up pipes. I didn't see myself finishing it without lifting the cab on this 2015. Its at a shop right now finishing the install.

I think they will flow a lot better.

Bro's LP5 tows like a beast

Reactions: M.A.M.
#20 ·
Yes dialed in perfectly! Guess I forgot to mention that. Took a few exchanges in data logs and new files. Once we got the street tune dialed in, he was able to fix the rest without data logging. The thing just rips, no loss in rail pressure. Have not and probably will never try max effort until the built trans & compounds.

Egt was installed pre cp3 swap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#21 ·
Man you've made tremendous progress! I bet that thing is a monster... but when are you going to get to wheels and tires? I did the opposite on both of my trucks. Both got wheels, tires, projector headlights with HID's, and leveled.

Reactions: BOWZ
#23 ·
Good to hear you are happy with Kory. He did my tunes and I don't have anything to compare to, but his tunes seem good. I'm going to need new ones for the built trans and I'm excited for a Max effort tune

#24 ·
Yeah Kory and his team have been really good to me. They were always quick to answer my questions and turn around my data logs into new tunes, Honestly the longest part was me borrowing a windows computer due to only having mac's in the house. I did end up picking up windows labtop for EFI and my VW TDI software, so it should be easier next time I need a retune.

Bowz

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.