Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

TJ's First build 05 lly

3K views 27 replies 8 participants last post by  DmTJ 
#1 ·
So just picked up my first dmax about 2-3 weeks ago.
100% stock at purchase and still is... (for now)
White 2005 silverado 2500hd LS crew cab shortbed. 63,000 miles on it
Have tons of plans for this truck for appearance, performance, and reliability.
Waiting for my 07.5 silverado 1500 to sell before jumping into some expensive starting upgrades but have found a buyer so its coming very soon!
I live in Colorado and emissions here are pretty strict. Have to pass every year so I dont mind having to change one maybe two mods out each year but not a lot.

So far ive painted my front and rear bumper white to match the truck, and debadged the truck.

First mods will be-
-6" fabtech lift. Possibly a 7" bds with fox shocks, and leafs in rear(more expensive...)
-beefier tie rods
-5" performance exhaust (cat back is my thoughts for emissions or possibly downpipe back and ill swap it yearly)
-s&b cold air intake(dry)
-s&b turbo inlet
-mbrp 3" downpipe
-efi live (want a dsp5 switch so i can tune it down for emissions however will always run a very mild tune)
-edge insight cst2 guages

from there I plan to only keep going all the way to a built trans,60 over injectors, new turbo and more.

Its dark out now so no pictures tonight ill get some tomorrow and post them up.
If anyone has any mods that they feel are a must do or some ideas on brands or changes to mods I have planned please post thats why im here is to get others input!

See less See more
#2 ·
welcome

#3 ·
Welcome and good find! Those are some low miles!

#4 ·
Sorry for the delays just been trying to get some time and money saved up. But here an update

-S&B cold air intanke, Installed
-S&B Turbo inlet, installed
-New rear diff cover, installed
-rear bumper painted white to match, installed
-2015 tow mirrors purchased and upper and lower caps in shop to be painted white to match
- front bumpers, steel and upper cap in shop to be painted white to match
-8" fabtech ordered and hopefully installed by saturday next weekend.
-have both 20x10 fuel mavericks and 20x12 fuel mavericks ordered to see which I preffer the tire shop said they have no problem ordering both.
-37x13.5 toyo RT's ordered.
-Plan on ordering 2" bora wheel spacers for rear tomorrow
- Rear Wheel well liners ready to be put on
-Interior lights changed to LED's

Will Put pictures up when I get the lift, wheels, and tires installed and then again when the bumpers and mirrors are done.

#5 ·
Can't wait to see what she looks like! Congrats man!!!

#8 ·
I know what you mean about Colorado weather.

Sent from my thermonuclear handheld using a binky.

#9 ·
I do not have a good camera but here are a couple pictures I took with my phone. I ordered my 2" bora wheel spacers for the rear to even out the stance. Bumper cap and tow mirrors are not done yet but im being told by end of next week everything will be ready.
On a side note does anyone know anything about registering a vehichle? I live in douglas county colorado but my parents live in Elbert county Colorado. Elbert does not have diesel emisions and douglas does. Id like to register it to their house so I can delete the egr and possibly straight pipe the truck.

Next updates that will follow what has already been ordered/schedueled will be in this order after that its free game ill do what I can when I can.

-3" mbrp downpipe
-5" straight pipe (possibly cat back)
-efi live (very mild tune)
-Amp running boards (need these pretty bad now....)

Attachments

#11 ·
When you go register your truck go to the DMV in Elbert county and fill in the address as theirs on the paperwork. That or they can register the truck in their name and you pay for the tags. I say the address bit because I know it had to be registered in the county you live in. So theoretically, you can say you just moved to your parents place. I can't say it's legal but it might work.

#12 ·
Option number three would be to have the truck emissions tested as is, should pass, then delete and save your deleted stuff for the next time you have to get emissions done. Install old stuff and then delete again when done. I know a lot of the guys on here do this.

#13 ·
this list will be my to do list as of now things may change and are in no specific order.
it is more so for me as a check off list, however if any of you have any suggestions,opinions, or tips it would be very much appreciated.

-efi live (duramax tuner or atp)
-4" magnaflow cat back exhaust
-magnaflow high flow cat
-magnaflow 3" down pipe
-6" tip
-2" bora wheel spacers (rear)
-rear wheel well liners
-chassis saver frame
-BANKS TECHNI-COOLER
-EDGE INSIGHT CTS2
-pcv reroute
-amp running boards
-slotted rotors
-bulletproof 8" drop hitch
-fuel sump
-lift pump(live in colorado so a bit nervous about jelling though)
-ppe exhaust manifolds
-ppe up pipes
-sinister egr delete
-ppe fuel pressure relief valve
-tint windows
-possibly new head/tail/3rd brake lights
-upgrade shocks from fabtech lift
-steering stabilizer

already done-
- 8" fabtech lift
- s&b cold air intake
- s&b turbo inlet
- painted to match front and rear bumpers
- 2016 tow mirrors with paint to match caps

input appreciated
and im not an expert so if i miss titled something or miss spelt dont rag on me too hard.

#15 ·
That's an impressive list! I have all the same list of upgrades I'm wanting to perform on my dmax. However I'm out of country and I recently purchased the truck so I still have to see what work needs to get done. For starters I'd say do the exhaust system, intake, and efi w/ dmax tuner tunes. Then it's what order you want from there. Good luck!

#18 ·
also....
ppe fuel pressure relief valve is here (got everything ready and out of way and my torque wrench is too big to reach in there...)
mbrp 3" downpipe is ordered
2" bora wheel spacers for rear should be here wednesday
having windows tinted saturday.

at this point it will be exhaust, chip and gauges next. possibly not all at once

#19 ·
Very clean setup! I like it.

#20 ·
MBRP downpipe installed. Was expecting it to be horrible from the horror stories I have heard from web and friends but all went very smooth.
still need to find a torque wrench that will fit in the tight spot to put the ppe fuel pressure relief valve in. Much rather put it in myself but honestly might be cheaper for me to just pay a local shop to do it then buy a new wrench.... (if anyone has any advice id appreciate it.)
spacers are in and again I do not have to the tools needed for the job.(big enough jack) however les schwab is up the road and they wont charge me much to throw them on. Will do this tomorrow
I have a buddy who works at a tint shop and he will be tinting front windows to match rears tomorrow.
Thinking about ordering my 4" cat back and magnaflow "highflow" cat tonight.

And most importantly Im highly considering a built trans in the near future. I know I will not be happy with 90hp over stock so trans will be in the works. Thinking suncoast. (probably looking at december or the new year for trans) Any advice would be grateful. With that being said should I consider something for fuel aside from a lift pump? Should I consider a turbo upgrade? Obviously Id love to do it all but money will be an issue so more looking for drivability until I can afford it all.

#21 ·
When I put the shim in my lly's fprv I fought it for quite awhile, got really sick of fighting with that narrow 18mm...the wrench kept wanting to roll off. Finally I tried my cheap 1/2" craftsman impact and it fit back there to my surprise. Made the job pretty easy.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

#22 ·
rear spacers installed (they did it for free)
front windows tinted to match rear

ordered 5" dp back exhaust from mbrp (decided ill just change it out for emissions.
thinking efi live might hold off until I build trans if that indeed is my plan. If i choose that route ill have to just save a chunk and do a lift pump,efi, and trans all at once

#23 ·
Put on the 5" dp back exhaust tonight. Have the flu and somehow truck parts in garage is only thing that will get me out of bed.....
Anyway, was only able to drive up my street to see how it sounded as its 9:30 and figured neighbors would not appreciate much more, but really? The sound is ridiculous, sounds like a damn jet. If I dont see any performance gains ill be happy with sound alone. Way underestimated how much id enjoy the sound, it brought the little kid out in me.

On another note im really stuck on whether or not to go with a built trans... I mean if I won the lottery all day long but that is not the case. This truck is also my DD and I definitely want driveability. Would I see noticeable gains with efi live from where I am at now( sb cai, sb turbo inlet, 5" dp back exhaust) as well as a lift pump. I do not want to purchase a lift pump or even efi if I plan to get a built trans at end of year. NEED ADVICE please and thank you.

#24 ·
Definitely get a lift pump before building the trans. The lift pump will help keep your fuel system happy, then when your ready to built the trans you'll be able to run bigger tunes.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

#26 ·
whats wrong with this picture....?
Been planning on doing it anyway, good thing it happened when I was backing into my spot at work.
New HD tie rods are installed. New Headlights installed(in picture). And finaly got my ppe fprv installed.
Next up will probably be amp power steps as wife is complaining enough to push it to front of list. then should be lift pump and efi. Going to hold off on trans for now.

Attachments

#27 ·
Nice build! That's a bummer about the tire rod, but at least it broke in a safe location.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.