Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

John's 2012 Denali HD Build

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  JohnC 
#1 ·
Hey everyone! I'm new here but have been going through a ton of information on here before getting my first Duramax. I just recently sold a heavily built Silverado 1500 that I had for 5 years. I ended up needing something that I could tow with legally and not over exceed the weight limit. It will also be my daily for my commutes to grad school and work. I was planning on getting a 2017 L5P Denali HD but decided it would be more fun to go with a truck just out of warranty and save some coin.

So April 29th 2017 I drove from Florida to Mississippi to pick up a 2012 GMC 2500HD Denali I found. I feel like I got a pretty good deal on it. It had around 123k miles on it. It look like it hadn't towed anything in its life and was clean. It has all the options I wanted and some to spare. It has the rear entertainment package in the headrests. It also doesn't have a sun roof which gives some extra headroom.

First thing I added were Weathertech molded front and rear mats. Then I added 15% tint on the 4 side windows and over the rear glass. Later on I'm going to get 50% over the entire windshield.

Through my research I'm going to complete the most important/helpful mods first. I'm about to drop a good amount and get the Fleece CP3 conversion, Airdog 4G 165, FloPro 4" or 5" exhaust(I'm leaning more towards the 5"), BAS EGR kit with intake pipe, and all tuned by EFI Live from Hardway Performance in Mary Esther FL. Hardway Performance will also be doing all of the installation on everything listed. I'm also planning on getting an Edge CTS monitor to switch tunes and monitor the important gauges.

Here are some pics:

Also any advice on what to look into next are appreciated.
And any advice on whether to go with the 5" or 4" exhaust and muffle or no muffler.

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the truck. About the exhaust, it just depends on what sound you want... I've read 5" has a little deeper tone but otherwise no benefit to 5" over 4". Obviously no muffler will be louder. I'm running 5" with a muffler and it's loud enough for me.

#6 ·
I have 5" with muffler on one and 4" straight on another. 5 is deep and thumps. They sound good but I like the 5 better. On the windshield I would go with 30 and a visor strip. I did 50 and it was to light and 20 was to dark 30 is perfect.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

#7 ·
Well I've been driving around with the CP3 conversion, Airdog 4G lift pump, EGR delete, and 5" flopro exhaust. It feels totally like a different truck. I can now get up to around 22mpg average. But with my foot I've been getting a steady 19mpg, but that still knocks out the 14mpg I got stock.

I'm really liking the Hardway Performance tuning. Sometime in the next few weeks I'll be getting it on the Dyno with Sean Milliken from Hardway to see what it can make.

I recently also had a stock halogen burn out on my low beams. So I replaced it with Opt7 LED bulbs and swapped out the fogs with LED's while I was at it. I also added an Edge CTS2 monitor and have an EGT probe to install.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.