6.4 powerstroke ? - Page 5 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Diesels Discussion of anything diesel powered. No Duramax.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2012, 10:36 AM   eBay Motors  #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC-LLY DMAX View Post
Well guys you will love this.
Buddy bought his 08 6.4 with around 100k on it. He puts about 20k +- into the engine and has 654 hp dynoed. He is about to take it in for the 4th motor build because of head gaskets and he is on his 5 tranny (4th sun coast). Everytime he hammered on it it just pukes coolant into the engine compartment. It now has 130k on it has been down for at least 4 months since he got it.
Tell your buddy to take his truck to MPD ( Maryland performance diesel) in Baltimore. I know their current 6.4 went for went to almost 1000 horsepower on stock bottom end and they currently hold the record for the 6.4 at over 1300 horsepower.
ATP autocal EFI live/ Edge cts/ SDP EGR delete/ pcv reroute/ Trans go jr/ allison deep pan/ MBRP down pipe /5" MBRP turbo back exhaust /AirDog 2 165 /AirAid intake / all soft trans coolent lines/ on 35's....
(have but not installed) PPE Race valve

03 GMC 2500HD LB7
Edge Juice/Attitude /AirAid intake /Straight pipe /6" procomp lift /35" BFG M/T
2dmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2012, 01:21 PM   eBay Motors  #42 (permalink)
Vanned this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinlmm View Post
Drinking and posting is like drinking and driving, don't do it. The consequences can be dire...
wth I drink and post all the time.
TheStepChild is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 02:01 PM   eBay Motors  #43 (permalink)

All trucks and motors have their issues. Some have more than others and some are more expensive to repair than others. I really like the looks of the super duty ,but I've heard mixed opions on all the powerstokes from the 6.0 on. I personally know guys that have 6.0 and 6.7 that have had really bad luck with them. I do not personally know anyone with a 6.4 though. All I know is that I would not spend my hard earned money on any powerstroke after a 7.3 . I'm not really bias when it comes to diesels ,but in this case I would stick with a duramax or a cummins especially if your dad just wants to leave it stock. Check out this guys you tube videos. He is a ford diesel mechanic and loves the 6.4 because it is job security for him. 6.4L FORD Powerstroke FAIL 1 - YouTube

"Quotes found on the Internet are not always accurate " Abraham Lincolon"
6.6 Duramax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 07:41 PM   eBay Motors  #44 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dmax View Post
Tell your buddy to take his truck to MPD ( Maryland performance diesel) in Baltimore. I know their current 6.4 went for went to almost 1000 horsepower on stock bottom end and they currently hold the record for the 6.4 at over 1300 horsepower.
He took it to Rudy's Diesel Performance.

05 LLY.
EFI Live by Kamron Burchette.
AFE. ARP. Airdog. Autometer. BT Diesel Works. Dirty Hooker Diesel. Edge. Flo Pro. Hostile Wheels. Nitto. Retro Solutions. Rough Country. S&B. Suncoast. Totron.

2012 Can-Am Commander
2012 Chevrolet Suburban
2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
NC-LLY DMAX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 07:44 PM   eBay Motors  #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC-LLY DMAX View Post
He took it to Rudy's Diesel Performance.
just as good!!!
ATP autocal EFI live/ Edge cts/ SDP EGR delete/ pcv reroute/ Trans go jr/ allison deep pan/ MBRP down pipe /5" MBRP turbo back exhaust /AirDog 2 165 /AirAid intake / all soft trans coolent lines/ on 35's....
(have but not installed) PPE Race valve

03 GMC 2500HD LB7
Edge Juice/Attitude /AirAid intake /Straight pipe /6" procomp lift /35" BFG M/T
2dmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 08:20 PM   eBay Motors  #46 (permalink)
AKA 01 D_Max

This thread convinces me to not even think about buying a Ford... (besides a 7.3)

It deos make me think... Are there many trucks (6.0, 6.4's) that are for sale with the proper work done to make them more reliable? And how much over a "Stock" truck should someone expect to pay for a reliable Ford?

I know this aint PSD Forum but thought I'd ask.

Or call us... 920-765-1615

SOLD
2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD, CC,SB
EFI Live V2 w/dsp5 MAX EFFORT by Idaho Rob,
EGT's Never higher than 1150*
Cognito Braces, and ATP Sleeves, BD Manifold, ARP H.Studs, M.P. mod, MA Aluminum Bleeder, PPE Boost Valve, Banks Ram Air- Intercooler, FASS 150, LBZ FPR, Shimmed FPRV, 4" MBRP turbo back exhaust w/6"tip, Corsa Muffler
@180,000-New injectors from Lincoln Diesel, CAT Adapter/filter/spacer

Air Lift, Bilstein Shocks, Leveling Kit, Recon LED tail lights & over cab lights, 20" Forged Aluminum WELD Racing Rims, 295/55/20 Nitto Trail Grappler Tires
Aaron@LDS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 08:50 PM   eBay Motors  #47 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

My uncle's 6.0 just blew the HG's at 73,xxx miles. Turns out two injectors were also taking a shit and the FICM blew. Piece of shit is costing my family a lot of money. My truck has twice the mileage and has been tuned for a while and never had ANY major repairs needed. Their stock truck with 1/2 the miles is a bottom-less pit
my "build" thread
Raptor color match thread
ATP Trucks
lddrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 11:30 PM   eBay Motors  #48 (permalink)
dat lly doe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01 D_Max View Post
This thread convinces me to not even think about buying a Ford... (besides a 7.3)

It deos make me think... Are there many trucks (6.0, 6.4's) that are for sale with the proper work done to make them more reliable? And how much over a "Stock" truck should someone expect to pay for a reliable Ford?

I know this aint PSD Forum but thought I'd ask.
it takes a good 5-7 k to make a 6.0 reliable from the very bone stock start, like I said before I have several of them on the road clocked over 300,000 miles after I worked on them with no issues, and as for the for sale trucks it depends on the area and who did the work, around here almost every 6.0 you see has at least headstuds and egr block or bulletproof cooler, combined with a custom sct tune there good runnin rigs
Air Flow:finger vanes, ported turbine housing, BatMoWheel, losend unison ring, ported exhaust manifolds, gasket matched up-pipes
Exterior: Rear Reunel bumper, leveled tow mirrors, HIDs (all on mod), ADP tie-rod sleeves, green tinted headlamp housings
Interior: 2 12" memphis car audio subs, custom sealed box and 2000 watt memphis amp, LED interior, dash and door lights-green, cobalt autometer pyro and boost piller gauges
Best Time: 13.92 @ 95 mph 1.96 60 foot
Work In Progress: 1969 Chevy Nova, built turbo 350, 283ci small block est. 550hp with 7500 rpm redline, caltracs, 4.11 ford 9" rear end, dual 3"exhaust
chevylovinfordtech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 10:30 AM   eBay Motors  #49 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dmax View Post
just as good!!!
Yeah at least Aaron warrants all of his work for a good amount of time. The heads are under warranty. Everytime he gets on the truck it will puke coolant. I've heard good things about MD but of course RDP is right up the road and has a good name as well.

05 LLY.
EFI Live by Kamron Burchette.
AFE. ARP. Airdog. Autometer. BT Diesel Works. Dirty Hooker Diesel. Edge. Flo Pro. Hostile Wheels. Nitto. Retro Solutions. Rough Country. S&B. Suncoast. Totron.

2012 Can-Am Commander
2012 Chevrolet Suburban
2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
NC-LLY DMAX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 02:11 AM   eBay Motors  #50 (permalink)

Your on a Chevy forum asking about Ford...ofcourse you'll only hear the bad news. Bad news always travels faster anyways. I know two people who have 6.4s and they've been great. If I had money and Didnt like Duramax my truck so much a 6.4 tempt me for a next choice. My only grip about it is that it has firm seats. Mine are more comfortable I think.

One of the 6.4s has 212k and is plowed with. Handles it great the other I wanna say has 80k on it neither have had anything go bad on it outside of maintaince.

Don't take the forum very seriously. Look at consumer reports. I doubt many people here have owned a 6.4 so why take there word?

And just so It's out there. I really hate Ford. But the best consumer is an open/clear-minded consumer.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.