Best Chip - 2001 Cummins - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Diesels Discussion of anything diesel powered. No Duramax.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2010, 11:50 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Best Chip - 2001 Cummins

Like the title says, what is the best performance chip for a 2001 Dodge Cummins? My buddy just bought a nice one and so far has 4" Straight pipe, and AFE Stage 2 Intake. He wants to buy a chip for it next but isnt sure what to buy. Also what else would be beneficial to him without costing alot of money.

Would an AirDog 150 help him out alot with just the chip, intake, and exhaust?

Anything else?

Thanks

Zone, BDS, Rare Parts, Rancho, Cognito, Bilstien, Fox, Nitto, American Eagle, Core Racing, Tuff Country, Amp Research, AirDog, PPE, K&N, Quadzilla, MBRP, Kenwood, Kicker, Sub Thump, US Speedo, WeatherTech Auto Meter, AeroForce, AVS, KC, TruxPort, Bushwacker, Alligator Performance, MA
Boreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2010, 11:55 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quadzilla Adrenaline, TST Powermax, Edge comp... A good lift pump is a must on a VP44 Cummins.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:56 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

I hear the Smarty Jr is the best for the cummins

06 LBZ CC SB 4x4 Graystone Metallic
EFI Live DSP5 by Rob
3in D/E Downpipe to 4in MBRP Turbo Back Straight Pipe
Leveled
B&W Turnover
LineX Bedliner
jfreid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2010, 12:07 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfreid View Post
I hear the Smarty Jr is the best for the cummins
The Smarty Jr is only for 03+ trucks. A Smarty for a 2nd gen Cummins is about 60hp at the wheels. It's not worth it for the price IMO. The other three tuners I stated should add 100+ hp at the wheels with supporting mods.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:28 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

With a chip on his truck, how high can he go before he needs a lift pump? Also how much can his stock trans hold? Anything he can do that doesnt cost an arm and a leg to the trans to hold more power (Like the TransGo Jr.)

Zone, BDS, Rare Parts, Rancho, Cognito, Bilstien, Fox, Nitto, American Eagle, Core Racing, Tuff Country, Amp Research, AirDog, PPE, K&N, Quadzilla, MBRP, Kenwood, Kicker, Sub Thump, US Speedo, WeatherTech Auto Meter, AeroForce, AVS, KC, TruxPort, Bushwacker, Alligator Performance, MA
Old 02-28-2010, 12:51 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

There are two versions of the smarty for the 2nd generation cummins,there is the smarty and the smarty catcher,it adds in acess of 220 horsepower to the flywheel,my buddy has it on his I don remember the torque it adds but the horsepower is over 200.
Tinted taillights and third brake light
Stock for now.....
black_tan496 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2010, 12:51 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

Does his truck have an automatic or manual? The dodge trannys are POS. I have an 02 with 110k on it and is stock other than a 4" exhaust and the tranny is going out so currently it is getting a HTS tranny, lightning pump and 100 hp injectors. I also had a 00' and the tranny went at 147k. I wouldnt put any more power then stock to that tranny unless he has some cash saved up for a good tranny build. I know and have put 2 in and my cousin put one in his 99' around 150k miles also. The dodge trannys just dont hold power in the 2 gen. trucks.
03 GMC LB7, CCSB 4x4, Honed turbo mouthpiece, dual 6" stacks, Suncoast stage 4 w/ deep pan, sleeves, braces, straight center link, Isspro EGT and 60 psi Boost gauges w/ Aeroforce scan guage, 3" lift, custom ladder bars designed by me, Ranchhand bumper, Recon cab lights, Amsoil and Royal Purple throughout.
EFI Live by Rob w/ DSP 5/MITUSA lift pump,Pro Fab manifolds+pipes, headstuds, 45% sticks, stocker/S475

12.27 @ 110.55 mph w/ 1.75 60'
meanmachine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2010, 12:59 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Well his truck is the Auto, forgot to mention that. And it has 260,000kms on it (not sure how much that is in miles off hand).

Old 02-28-2010, 12:59 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

quadzilla adrenaline.. this will be more than plenty to fry the factory clutches in the P.O.S dodge trannys

oh yeah, a lift pump is a must
Old 02-28-2010, 01:03 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Is the Quadzilla Adrenaline the one that adds 180ish HP? It also comes with the Pulse Monitor, correct?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.