How to remove dpf on 2008 peterbilt 340 truck? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Diesels Discussion of anything diesel powered. No Duramax.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2010, 06:47 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporting Member

How to remove dpf on 2008 peterbilt 340 truck?

title says it all
EFI DSP 5 PPEI
4 inch Mbrp
Airdog II 165
Plugged, Blocked , Rerouted

2007.5 Chevy 3500HD LMM cclb Dually, Exhaust , EFI Tuned,

Last edited by Dmax7511; 07-19-2010 at 07:04 PM.
Dmax7511 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2010, 04:37 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

If you remove it you will have to deal with the fact that it is integrated with the engine computer and that could lead to problems. Probably not a big problem with just a DPF. Depends on what system is installed. A talk with Pete's service department might give you some info. Different manufacturers take different steps to make sure the units are not tampered with. They are all made to be disassembled, which means they can all be gutted, which destroys the unit but won't mess with the electronics. Oh, by the way, if you think you are going to see a big performance or fuel mileage gain you are going to be in for a surprise. Oh, did I mention the fines involved if the wrong people find it missing?
LFingar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2010, 09:39 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

Not looking for performance of this truck. I hate stopping and waiting for it to regen. It's a hassle. I'm not worried about fines I'm going to cut it gut it and put back on to make it seem like it's still on there
EFI DSP 5 PPEI
4 inch Mbrp
Airdog II 165

Old 07-20-2010, 03:51 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

You shouldn't have to cut it. You should be able to disassemble it into 3 pieces. They're built like that for the times when they have to be taken apart for a more thorough cleaning. Find where the fuel line goes into your tank and plug it so that you won't have any fuel leak issues. Leave everything else intact so that your computer doesn't know the difference, and neither will anyone else. Keep this in mind: Once you gut it the unit is destroyed. They are not cheap. No state or federal agencies that I know of do stack tests at this time to see if the units actually work. That could change. You might want to keep your eyes open for the same type of DPF in a wrecking yard in case you ever have to have one that actually works.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:19 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

What engine? There is no software particular to "remove" the DPF. Even with cat ET it cant be done. The acert software can do it, but it would require you purchase the hardware/software (which even the name of software is confidential) and then get a password from CAT (thats assuming your running a CAT).
Running MMLMM "Grim Reaper" tunes
Oxcart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2010, 04:20 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

yes it is a cat 330hp
EFI DSP 5 PPEI
4 inch Mbrp
Airdog II 165

Old 07-21-2010, 04:41 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

Aint gonna happen buddy, I was in a class about 6 months ago and asked one of the (CAT)engineers if he had heard of this. He said the old boy that did it has rebuilt his engine twice. Dont know the details but I work on these engine everyday and your gonna have to deal with it. If you gut it, you will through differential pressure faults and will be buying a 5 thousand dollar dpf.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:43 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFingar View Post
You shouldn't have to cut it. You should be able to disassemble it into 3 pieces. They're built like that for the times when they have to be taken apart for a more thorough cleaning. Find where the fuel line goes into your tank and plug it so that you won't have any fuel leak issues. Leave everything else intact so that your computer doesn't know the difference, and neither will anyone else. Keep this in mind: Once you gut it the unit is destroyed. They are not cheap. No state or federal agencies that I know of do stack tests at this time to see if the units actually work. That could change. You might want to keep your eyes open for the same type of DPF in a wrecking yard in case you ever have to have one that actually works.
DO NOT do that. For one theres no fuel line that goes into the dpf, two you wont find a dpf in a wrecking yard. Even if you did, theres different dpfs for different horesepower ratings, different configurations and yada yada yada. Oh and by the way, the dpf is in 3 pieces. But the front and back are only adapters because there are so many configurations which means that they have no element inside them! So stop talking about something in which you know NOTHING ABOUT!

Last edited by jeremyfrank14; 07-21-2010 at 04:51 PM.
jeremyfrank14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2010, 05:21 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyfrank14 View Post
DO NOT do that. For one theres no fuel line that goes into the dpf, two you wont find a dpf in a wrecking yard. Even if you did, theres different dpfs for different horesepower ratings, different configurations and yada yada yada. Oh and by the way, the dpf is in 3 pieces. But the front and back are only adapters because there are so many configurations which means that they have no element inside them! So stop talking about something in which you know NOTHING ABOUT!
X2.... lol

Running MMLMM "Grim Reaper" tunes
Oxcart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2010, 06:00 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyfrank14 View Post
Well, first off there certainly is a fuel line going to the DPF on his Pete. All factory installed DPFs are active DPFs which have the ability to regenerate. They do so by injecting fuel directly into the DPF. Retrofit units which are being used more and more to meet some state regs on older equipment, can be active using either fuel or electric for regen, or passive, with no regen capability. Secondly, he certainly could find another unit in a wrecking yard if he can find a truck similar to his. His is certainly not the only one with a DPF. You're right (finally). DPFs are built in 3 pieces. The 1st section contains the catalyst and the regen unit. This is where the fuel is sprayed in and ignited. The 2nd section contains the filter matrix. The majority of DPFs use a closed tube ceramic matrix. Owens-Corning is one of the major manufacturers. Even with regens this section has to be removed periodically for a more thorough cleaning. A common trick is to simply reverse it, provided it's not indexed, so that the accumulated junk blows out the stack and the unit goes back to normal operation. The 3rd section is just a tailcone. Gut the center section and the computer won't know the difference. The last I knew Cat was using Johnson-Mathey products, and I have yet to see one with a pressure transducer in the tailcone. Anything else you want to know? Just please don't tell me that you are one of these people that thinks a DPF regens by dumping fuel into the cylinders on the exhaust stroke, or whatever.
Let me edit this: For the past year and a half I have been working with retrofit units and factory units that use only direct injection. There are some units that inject the fuel via the engine as I recall. I haven't run into any and whether he has one on his Pete or not depends on the unit used.

Last edited by LFingar; 07-21-2010 at 06:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.