How To: Add Power Steering Fluid Cooler - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
DIY and Tech discussion discussion of the DIY threads go here!

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2013, 12:56 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

How To: Add Power Steering Fluid Cooler

If you’ve never removed your front grill, it’s quick/easy. Remove the top core cover, remove your headlights, and with a flat blade screwdriver, depress the spring clips to remove. Once you’ve done it before, it takes less than 5 minutes to remove.

There are a variety of paths to choose from in adding a Power Steering Fluid Cooler.

One choice (thx Eric!) is to obtain and add the GM part # 10385584 ($130) for the 6.6L.

Or you can choose GM part #15295847 ($80) for the 8.1L and adapt it to fit.

Both mount here, utilizing the condenser coil’s top mounting bolt with an added bolt (#11589039, $1.50) to an existing hole in the trans cooler bracket.

In pursuit of lowering the price further, look around fleaBay and Amaz and there are numerous kits available in various sizes that could fit in the same area as the GM shown above.
This one is a bit smaller;

Derale 13200 Power Steering Cooler Kit Derale 13200 Power Steering Cooler Kit

Not wanting to play the ship and wait game, pursue available inventory on a local basis.
These are cheap enough that you could bridge two together to equal the GM size for $40.

Hayden Power Steering Oil Cooler

I ended up with THIS cooler from VatoZone.
It was larger than the others and only $30.
It comes with a 4’ section of hose and 4 hose clamps. Add another 3’ piece of hose and 3-4 hose clamps to the mix, along with a double hose barb for the hose splice.
You’ll need 5 clamps total, unless you reuse the lame OEM spring clamp, and you might strip one out over-tightening. Better to have an extra than make a return trip in the middle of the project.

Lift the front corner up enough (tire on ground) to open up the tire well area and make it easier to access. Remove your Driver’s side inner fender liner. You can try and work around the boost tube, but it’s easier to just remove it and give your self some room.

This is the location where the Low Pressure return line, coming from the steering box below, attaches to the PS pump inlet tube.

Looking down from the top, here is (with PS fluid spilled on it ) the new 4’ return hose (included in the kit) attached at the PS pump's inlet tube. Both hoses will route in the gap between the lower boost tube coupler and the ECM, thru existing holes in the core support, below the DRL/Turn fixtures.

This is looking down in the space between the battery/washer fluid/core support, 3' hose joining the existing return line. I'm anal, I used 4 clamps but 2 will work.

The kit came with a self-adhesive isolator pad that was the same width as the bracket up front and I already had some black plastic zip ties to affix thru the existing holes.

Dust it with a light coating of flat-black enamel paint to hide behind grill in darkness.

Start up, move the wheel back and forth a few times to displace the air in the lines, then fill PS reservoir to proper level. Re-install the Grill and both headlights, and we're done.
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"

Last edited by Hook'em_Horns!; 11-21-2013 at 04:24 AM.
Hook'em_Horns! is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2013, 01:22 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

Nice!
Suspension -
Cognito Upper Control Arms, Bilstein 5100's, Cognito Tie Rods, Cognito Sway Bar Links
joshr2169 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2013, 01:55 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

nice. I did the same on mine. got the hookup on the 8.1 and just cut the factory hose and used a double barb fitting.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:18 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

thanks for the write-up. sub'd.
BCI intake and turbo mouthpiece, AEM dry filter, EFI Live dsp5 by Fleece Performance, AD165, 4" axle dumped exhaust, Banks Big Head wastegate, 6" Superlift lift, Bilstein 5100's, Rough Country tie rod sleeves, Recon smoked LED cab lights, Edge CTS Monitor, Autometer Cobalt Boost, 20" XD Spy's wrapped in 35" Toyo M/T's, all headlight on mod, parking light mod, high idle mod, plasti-dipped odds n ends, molding and most badges removed, WeatherTech floor liners, tow mirrors

To do list: Injectors, MA pump rub fix, MA trans brace, Nictane CAT filter kit, Suncoast G-max kit w/ 1058 TC, aftermarket head unit, rust repair @ rockers and cab corners , the list never ends.......
BlueLB7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2013, 04:16 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Thanks for the write-up, and the link in that other thread. I was unaware of this mod, and it's a cheap one I could do easily.
Do you know how much that cooler changed the fluid capacity of the system?
4" turbo back MBRP by Pat at BT Diesel
lifted with 35s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oleblack03
Every time I hear someone say that their half-ton will tow as much as my 3/4 ton I just compare it to having sex with your cousin.......it can get the job done.....but the longterm effects can really F%$ something up
Quote:
Originally Posted by ty_LBZ View Post
A firefighter inherits a bad situation too, but you don't see him throwing gas on the fire...
Jhill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2013, 07:10 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

No I don't.
I was in replacing one of the High Pressure lines that was leaking, started up to cycle fluid, then added back to the proper level. At most, the amount to fill the reservoir back, so maybe 12 oz.?
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"

Old 11-07-2013, 08:09 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the writeup and pictures.... I'll get to this one of these days.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
2004.5 Silverado 2500HD 4X4, LLY, EFI Live by Idaho Rob, Banks intake, Dual bypass oil filter, 4" exhaust, AirDog 2 - 100, 265/75R16 Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo2, AirLift airbags, AMSOIL in everything!

116k miles/31jul13

Yeasu 857D/ATAS-120A - "When all else fails..."

US Navy 1992-2012 Retired
Painkiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2014, 06:58 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

So is this how to do it? I can't figure it out unless I see a diagram.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PS Cooler.jpg (23.0 KB, 427 views)
Old 03-04-2014, 07:04 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknrod View Post
So is this how to do it? I can't figure it out unless I see a diagram.
Sorta.....you need more lines in the diag.

Pump > HB = High pressure (HP) line (Item 12 below)
HB > pump Reservoir = Low pressure (LP) return line (Item 1)

HB > Steering Box = HP line (Item 4)
Steering Box > pump Reservoir = LP return line (Item 6).
THIS^^^ (LP return) is where you splice in the cooler lines.

Pic courtesy of C20

Last edited by Hook'em_Horns!; 10-01-2014 at 09:12 PM.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:24 AM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Edited
NOW I'M OLD AND STUPID
DID I MISS SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE?©
THIS STATMENT CAN APPLY TO YOU AT ANYTIME IN YOUR LIFE©

“I DON’T WANT TO DIE GOING FAST,
I JUST WANT TO GO FASTER BEFORE I DIE©
-
Since turning 50 seems I have a lot less time to do things,
OR
Maybe just thinkin’ too much about doin' things©
-
I gave up hope a long time ago, hope is life without "INTENTION", think about it©

Last edited by C20ELEPHANT; 07-13-2014 at 01:35 PM.
C20ELEPHANT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.