Transmission Cooler Line Removal/Installation - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
DIY and Tech discussion discussion of the DIY threads go here!

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2010, 12:44 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Transmission Cooler Line Removal/Installation

Has anyone seen a writeup on removing and installing the transmission cooler lines? I searched and all I found was the SS braided conversion.

I managed to get 2 lines out somehow, but am being held up by the long one.

The Alldata procedure goes into depth on how to disconnect and reconnect, which I thought was pretty easy, but it doesn't say anything on how to actually remove them from the vehicle.

I know I could cut the line to get it out, but then I wouldn't know how to get the new line in.

EFI Live by IdahoRob at ATP

Last edited by ZiGBlazer; 05-25-2010 at 12:48 PM.
ZiGBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2010, 07:26 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

I got the lines out. I had to pull the skid plates off, and pull the air dam below the bumper off. I also had trouble getting the upper line out of the transmission, because the MBRP 4" exhaust was in the way. It still took a lot of weaseling but they finally came.

The hydraulic shop is crimping new rubber onto the long 2 lines, but the short one won't fit into their machine. So I guess I will be ordering that one from GM.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:20 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
Received a Hummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiGBlazer View Post
I got the lines out. I had to pull the skid plates off, and pull the air dam below the bumper off. I also had trouble getting the upper line out of the transmission, because the MBRP 4" exhaust was in the way. It still took a lot of weaseling but they finally came.

The hydraulic shop is crimping new rubber onto the long 2 lines, but the short one won't fit into their machine. So I guess I will be ordering that one from GM.
I have a write up as a sticky in the DIY section of the forum....it's really interesting to hear the problems that some of you guys go through... I had my lines out in about 45 minutes.....and the hydraulic shop recrimped ALL my lines for 70.00.....and I don't understand what they mean by the line is too short to fit in their machine....they are all the same thickness/etc.. When I had mine finished, you could unscrew them...put them in...and then screw them back together....whole project took me about 2 hours tops. Good luck! and you might want to look into another hydraulic shop??
Old 05-27-2010, 09:39 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

They are putting fittings in the middle like you said, however the short line is too short to do that. There isn't enough hose for them to put fittings into that short line.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:44 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
Received a Hummer

I dunno....all I can tell you is that all my hose was the same exact length on all my lines....and my local shop, which isn't anything close to being spectacular, got my lines re-crimped nicely. I'm sure you can buy lines from somewhere, but every place I called told me to get to a hydraulic press shop.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:51 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

Just a word of caustion. I replaced my transmission cooler lines and decided to replace the o-rings in the port fittings of the cooler. When re-installing the fittings, I broke one of the fittings off the cooler. BUMMER!
NO - I didn't apply too much pressure. Just tighten it is all. Should have used a backup on the fitting before trying to tighten.
Radiator shop tried to repair but wouldn't work without leaking. Dealer cost for new cooler - $177.23 Amazon - $84.00. part number 15102153- 2007 GMC 2500HD turbo 6.6.
Leaking Hoses are a pain in the (you know what) to replace. Hard to get out and hard to get back in. If I had it to do again, I'd try installing a hose cramp over the crimped fittings first and see if that would work for a quick fix.
rick73852 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2010, 12:03 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0useforaname View Post
I have a write up as a sticky in the DIY section of the forum....it's really interesting to hear the problems that some of you guys go through... I had my lines out in about 45 minutes.....and the hydraulic shop recrimped ALL my lines for 70.00.....and I don't understand what they mean by the line is too short to fit in their machine....they are all the same thickness/etc.. When I had mine finished, you could unscrew them...put them in...and then screw them back together....whole project took me about 2 hours tops. Good luck! and you might want to look into another hydraulic shop??

so just getting them re-crimped is good enough?
07' CLASSIC LBZ, 3LT, EFI LIVE W/DSP5 BY IDAHOROB , COGNITO LEVELING KIT, SS SLEEVES, SS WESTIN NERF BARS, ZINC 5100 BILSTIEN'S, SPEED LINER, 285-70-17 COOPER STT, PPE AIR BOX MOD, EGR BLOCK, TRANSGO JR AND DEEP PAN TRANSYND CONVERSION, 4" MAGNAFLOW SS DOWN PIPE BACK , EDGE INSIGHT W/EGT PROBE.

I'LL KEEP MY FREEDOM, MY GUNS AND MY MONEY AND YOU CAN KEEP YOUR "CHANGE"!!! :gun

http://alligatorperformance.com/
boccheballs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2010, 12:27 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
Received a Hummer

I wouldn't really call it recrimped....they basically remove the rubber/crimped parts and replace them with new pieces....the only parts that stay the same are the long metal pieces. And yes....it's a 100% fix that won't leak again. If you replace the lines with OEM ones, you WILL leak again.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:09 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

I thought GM came out with new redesigned cooler lines that fixed the problem. Any truth to this or am I mistaken???...
SOLD!!!!! $25,000 OBO..... 2005 Chevy 2500HD CCSB LLY, 8in Fabtech lift, 37in Procomp Xterrains on 20in Motto metal 951's, Ranch hand bumpers, MBRP down pipe, MBRP 4in exhaust, Banks Ram air intake, AFE blade runner turbo mouthpiece, Fabtech HD tie rods, PPE pitman/idler braces, Autometer Cobalt Pyro/Boost/Trans/Rail Pressure/Fuel Pressure gauges, PCV Reroute, EGR blocked, 10,000k HID's, Recon smoked LED cab lights, tail lights and 3rd, Fuel rail shimed, ARP head studs.
DmaxMatt05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2010, 01:16 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
saw what you did there
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DmaxMatt05 View Post
I thought GM came out with new redesigned cooler lines that fixed the problem. Any truth to this or am I mistaken???...
there is a new part number.... I have the new ones, and have had no leaks... However.. I'm pretty sure others have had problems with the new ones.
6K Lows, 3K Fogs, Tint.
CLICK BEFORE YOU POST!

theunderlord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.