Found a Fix for P0087 when under a load - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
DIY and Tech discussion discussion of the DIY threads go here!

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2010, 11:49 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Found a Fix for P0087 when under a load

My original thread with the full story of the problem was posted a couple weeks ago under "P0087 when under load going up mountains".

I FOUND A FIX FOR THE PROBLEM-COST ME $50 IN PARTS, LESS THAN AN HOUR OF MY OWN TIME, AND $30 FOR A TECHS ANSWER ON Ask Question & Experts Answer You ASAP! Name Your Price, Get Online Answers & Help - Just Answer!!!!!!! GM BULLETIN #PIP4526!!! Go to a GM dealer and ask them to print out this bulletin for you and do the repair. I had to order the hose (special kind) from a distributor of the supplier listed in the bulletin-$6 a foot x 3 ft (more than enough) + shipping, use standard hose clamps from a local autoparts store-2 clamps on each end of the hose.

When my husband got under the truck and looked at the section down by the tranny there were 2 spots in this 1.5 ft area that were soft and collapsed, replaced the section per the bulleting last night, went thru Jellico Mountain today with a camper like usual and the code DIDNT set.

What happens is after the hose gets good and hot (4-6 hrs driving), it softens and then collapses when you put the truck under pressure with a load---this cannot be duplicated in a shop with any testing due to special circumstances---unless someone is gonna hang underneath your truck while you drive down the road and watch to see if it collapses (LOL), which is why no one can figure out this problem. The $50 for the parts is worth the try...worked for us.

If anyone has any questions you can email me at "armorgan@core.com"...I will be more than happy to help. I would like to thank Hal at Eisinger Chevrolet in Columbia Falls, Montana for leading me to this bulletin for the fix!!!

(this bulletin actually has pictures of where the hose sections are located but they wouldnt transfer onto here, so have a GM dealer print it out for you)

#PIP4526: Diesel Engine Fuel Line Repairs - keywords DTC hose kink loss P0087 P0093 P1093 pipe power reduced repair restrict restriction SES suction supply vacuum - (Nov 7, 2008)

Subject: Diesel Engine Fuel Line Repairs

Models: 2001-2007 Chevrolet Silverado Classic

2001-2007 GMC Sierra Classic

2007-2009 Chevrolet Silverado

2007-2009 GMC Sierra

Equipped with the 6.6L Diesel Engine RPO codes LB7 LBZ LLY LMM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
A dealer may need to perform a repair on the rubber portion of the fuel supply (suction) lines. The rubber section of the line could become kinked or collapse. Fuel lines that kink or collapse may induce a fuel system restriction (high vacuum gauge readings) or DTCs P0087, P0093, and/or P1093 to set.

If a technician was to suspect the rubber portion of the fuel feed line collapsing or kinking, replacement of only the rubber line is acceptable.

Recommendation/Instructions:
Complete the steps below to repair the rubber section of fuel supply line:

Carefully cut, split, and remove the OEM crimp from both ends of the flexible hose. These crimps can be cut with a small cut-off wheel. Split the crimp into two pieces (use your discretion on first cut location, then cut directly across from, or 180 degrees from first cut). Special care must be taken not to damage the flare on the end of the steel pipe that will be reused.
Remove the OEM crimps and flexible portion of hose from the existing supply line.
If replacing the rubber section of the supply line, a 1/2 ID hose meeting SAE specification 100R3 is suggested. Dealers may be able to find a local supplier for this hose, or can contact the manufacturer Parker Hannifin. The replacement hose would be a 1/2" diameter Parker part number 601-8 or H017-8. To find a local distributor the Parker website can be accessed at Please wait while we redirect...
Use worm type hose clamps (use double clamps on each end) to attach the replacement hose to the existing pipe.
The locations of the flexible hoses are pictured below.
morgans2006LBZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2010, 12:02 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Great info! I'm sure this will help quite a few people out.
TST Powermax Programmer, Diablosport Predator
305/70-16 BFG T/A KOs on Eagle Alloys Series 187
Clifford remote start. High Idle, Bilstein 5100s, 1.5" lift blocks
CAT fuel filter w/ nicktane adapter
Magnum Force Stage 2 intake with AMSOIL filter
Racor 2 Micron pre-OEM with heater & water sep
Lightforce 140s from Madjackracing
http://WWW.ATPTRUCKS.COM/
ob_1jr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2010, 12:28 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
100% American

Never had this problem but its good to know for future references. Thanks for the info!
4094 AVNT w/ Danville billet wheel
PPE Stage 5 trans, PPE Lift Pump, PPE Gauges, Maifolds/Up pipes
All Season Y-bridge and EGR Delete
DTS Stainless DP & Hot Side IC
4" Magnaflow
AFE Intake Labonte Stage 3 Water/Meth
Zone 6" Lift, Dodge Posi
Evil Arc Fab Steering, Bumper, Welding Bed and Coolant Re-route
35" BFGs, 16" PCXA Wheels
12.67@105 1/4 Mile

2006 CCSSSB Vortec Max 4x4
6" Rancho, 33"s, 4.56 gears, Volant and efi live
D-MAX Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2010, 09:03 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

Need Some Help with this!

For the past few weeks my truck (2006 LBZ) has been taking longer than normal time to start and has gotten worse in the past two days. Well two days ago under normal driving conditions (no load or anything) I get DTC P0087. Once the engine light was on i couldn't rev up more than 2k rpm (in park or while driving). i cleared the code with my tuner and not two seconds later it was back. at first i was thinking it was my fuel filter since it was about time to change it. Well i changed the fuel filter today and then went for a test run. I first cleared the code before taking off. once i got to not even half throttle the dtc was back. it feels like it's not getting enough fuel and is being restricted. when i got back i turned the truck off and when i started it back up it didn't take as long as it did before i changed the filter. also there is a little bit of black smoke coming out the exhaust when at idle. I have it on stock tune.

Could this be due to those hoses collapsing, bad injectors, bad fuel, or what? Can someone please give me some insight on this.

Performance mods: K&N Cold air intake, MBRP 4" turbo back exhaust, & Bullydog PMT

Thanks,
Clint
Clintv331 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2010, 10:03 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

bad fuel and a boofed WIF sensor did it to mine....i would try draining the tank, replacing the wif sensor and fuel filter...if not try the hoses, or hell try all the solutions....bad fuel caused my issue too....if you run bad fuel too long you take a chance on killing injectors.

VIDEO HOW TO's

timharry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2010, 04:30 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
Vanned this place

Glad I saw this. Havent thrown any code for a long time, then last 2 trips while pulling a trailer up hills truck threw the 0087. Just as you described, longer trip after pulling over 6 hours non stop and on hills. fuel temps at the time of the 0087 were 125+ so I know the fuel was warm. Sounds like I need to find some fuel line.
TheStepChild is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2010, 09:39 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
DF Sponsors

If you want to view this TSB I posted it atthis link and its formated to be viewed the way you need guys. #PIP4526: Diesel Engine Fuel Line Repairs - keywords DTC hose kink loss P0087 P0093 P - Duramax Diesels Forum

also here is a big pic of the fuel lines.
11.53 @ 116.92 1.66 60's
RIP LBZ 6/1/08@5:44pm she was strong
She's Alive again
Born on July 27, 2008, 11:59:02 PM

Custom ECM & TCM Tuning for 2001-2010 LB7/LLY/LBZ/LMM trucks
by Tony Martino at Ridge Runner Diesel available here-
EFI Live Products
ripmf666 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2010, 10:00 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
VAGITARIAN :)

Thanks Henry!
To the OP: NICE find........Thanks for posting the bulletin,I will surely do this fuel line mod since I have no lift pump.I am curious to see how much it will do before a DTC is set.I'll post up the numbers upon completion.
2006 GMC 4x4 CC/SB/sle1/LBZ**312,000 miles!!** PPE HOT+2 225 TUNE beeeyotch:-)AutoMeter egt/boost Suncoast 5 trans w/1056TC!,billet in/out shafts/MagHytec pan!!,M/A built T-Case,4 in.str8piped,5%tint all around......
2007 Chevrolet 4x4 cc\sb,lbz.......SOLD to blunova
Also, I speed and don't come to complete stops at stop signs.

''don't sweat the petty things,pet the sweaty things''
Click below/pictures of my junk!!
http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/vb...do=hall&u=8415
daddysLBZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2010, 11:19 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
DF Sponsors

My line is still kinked at the top on the return side but im pumping alot of fuel so never noticed. Other then the high return pressure pushing the fuel line off the drive side fuel rail when I first installed the twin cp3 pumps. I just installed a extra line to let the fuel circle around then back to there I plan of taking all the factory lines off soon. And replace with -10 supply and -8 return.
11.53 @ 116.92 1.66 60's
RIP LBZ 6/1/08@5:44pm she was strong
She's Alive again
Born on July 27, 2008, 11:59:02 PM

Custom ECM & TCM Tuning for 2001-2010 LB7/LLY/LBZ/LMM trucks
by Tony Martino at Ridge Runner Diesel available here-
EFI Live Products
ripmf666 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2010, 03:41 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

maybe having same problem

I see your last post was the end of June. Is your truck doing ok? I am having the same problems in hot weather pulling loads. My 2006 LBZ has 86,000 miles. Do you think this would be covered under warranty? If not I will find the hose and do it myself.

thanks
jd4450 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.